The Merry Marvel Marching Society

1978 posts in this topic

Posted

There is no 616 Universe...!!

Also, Secret Wars is totally great. Picked up issues 1 and 2 and yeah, totally fantastic. Especially for a Game of Thrones fan like me. 

Posted

There is no 616 Universe...!!

Also, Secret Wars is totally great. Picked up issues 1 and 2 and yeah, totally fantastic. Especially for a Game of Thrones fan like me. 

Well now there isn't but there was.

If you liked the theme song to Netflix's Daredevil series it is now available in mp3 format .

519RyqDv9wL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Posted

In Captain America The Winter Soldier we were introduced to S.H.I.E.L.D's  S.T.R.I.K.E Agent Brock Rumlow who was secretly a Hydra sleeper agent. Rumlow is severely injured in the climax of the film but he will return in Civil War as his Marvel comics character Crossbones.

chris-evans-anthony-mackie-get-to-action

Actor Frank Grillo in a more toned down version of the costume.

Posted

Crossbones looks sick.

Posted

It's time once again for a Marvel What If? So take a seat and we'll explore the rise and fall of Alice Eve's Emma Frost.

For those who don't know Emma Frost was introduced in Uncanny X-Men #129 in January of 1980 as the "White Queen" of The Hellfire club and later as her given name in The Dark Phoenix Saga. Appearing first as a villain she eventually became a Hero and a trusted member of the X-Men. 

When casting for X-Men First Class actress Alice Eve read for and won the role of Emma who was described as "An alluring and very powerful Psychic Mutant on par with Charles Xavier". Eve filmed many scenes for the film but test screenings were mixed and the character was rewritten numerous times. Fed up with the uncharacteristic changes Alice left and the part was recast by a pretty blonde zombie......excuse me I mean January Jones who lacked any screen presence at all and at times melted into the scenery .

alice_eve_emma_frost.jpg

Posted

Jux found out that Secret Wars #3 doesn't come out til June. puppy I don't wanna wait that long #2 was SO GOOD!

Posted

I saw the Avengers 2 over the weekend.

It was a worthy successor to the first in the end, but it didn't surpass it or anything. There were a few weird bits, like how Ultron's motives and goals were never totally explained, or the final fight. I mean it was an interesting fight, but it didn't have the climax or finality to it that the first movie had, with iron man flying the bomb through the portal at the last minute. It was more like "Oh hey there's a lot of robots," and then they all just slowly get killed. No, like, final giant robot or showdown with some kind of ultra-ultron or something. Just "okay all the robots are gone, gg." I also loved how halfway through the movie they put in a whole scene where they were basically like "Listen. Hawkeye is not useless. Stop thinking he's useless. Here's how cool he is, leave him alone." Not that I ever thought he was useless, but I'm confident that was a huge part of why Hawkeye's family was their safehouse.

I mean, I think this makes it sound like I didn't like it? In the end I liked it, although I should definitely probably also go back and watch more phase 2 movies. I guess Captain America 2 was supposed to reveal that Shield was also Hydra or something? And there was a guy with wings at the very end of the movie who I think made an appearance CA2? I have a lot to catch up on I guess.

Posted (edited)

Also the twins went back to Sokovia and they met Ultron for literally one minute. They decide to team up based on the few sentences of dialogue that they had.

Also the cradle stuff didn't ever seem intense. I felt like before the scripting phase of this movie, they were married to the idea of The Vision, Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch showing up. I was very conscious of things. It's like "okay now they're setting up the Vision origin" when it got to that point in the movie.

Also I cannot believe that Ultron was seriously created through a goddamn "science" montage. They were like

"hey let's make Ultron"

"No way!"

"'No seriously let's make Ultron"

"Well okay"

Then they scienced for probably 3 minutes of screen time, walked away, then Ultron just kind of existed.

I mean I did enjoy the movie overall. But I didn't wanna immediTely go see it again like with Avengers 1

Edited by L.L. Bean's Menswear (see edit history)

Posted

Yeah the science montage was weird. I will say though that I had no idea the thing in the cradle was going to be "The Vision" because I'd never heard of that hero before. So, it certainly blindsided me, I will say that.

I'm also pretty interested in what the new avengers team will be like. I don't really have anything to add to that other than "Huh, gee wiz, that sure is new." Did Hawkeye and Ironman both just "leave?"

Posted

Yeah and the Hulk and Thor.

In my opinion it kind of takes me out of the story to have the protagonists constantly leaving for personal reasons. I mean like, they keep flip-flopping. Iron Man redeemed himself in Iron Man 1, at least as far as a complete narrative goes. Then he redeems himself in Avengers 1 by sacrificing himself. Then he redeems himself in Iron Man 3 and seemingly steps away from the Iron Man suits. But he's back in Avengers 2, and I guess will try to redeem himself in Civil War? Either he is going to redeem himself again in Civil War or Avengers 3, or he is gonna end up being a straight up villain. So the redemption cycle just kind of loses meaning for me.

The same thing with Thor. He resolves to stay in Asgard and watch over Midgard in Thor 1. But he comes back for Avengers even though they destroyed the bridge in Thor 1. So at the end of Thor 2 he resolves to stay on earth. But oh wait he is staying back in Asgard at the end of Avengers 2.

I know that permanent character development is hard to achieve across many movies. The development would either be really slow if they gradually developed characters over a handful of movies. I get that. But it's like they wipe their characters clean between every movie, save for the token "hey remember that avengers happened?" cameo.

I'm being that guy right now. That guy who picks apart dumb superhero movies on Internet forums. Help

pheonix561 likes this

Posted (edited)

Yeah it was a fun movie, and the ending def hyped me up for the next movies (NEW AVENGERS!!), but overall Joss Whedon just couldn't pull off a perfect sequel. Which is fair considering he was fighting the executives a lot. Like, he really conflicted with the scene as Thor in the pool when he saw the infinity stones. From what i hear, that scene was either supposed to go way differently or not even be in the movie at all. But he had to compromise to serve the entire series' story. That was probably the most out of placed scene. Also, Hawkeye is cool as puppy but way cooler in the comics, where he's a bachelor and deeply cares about his community over his own well being. But whatever.\

@Pheo- The winged man is Sam Wilson, the Falcon. However, recently he has become the current Captain America. And he's awesome. If your interested in him at all, i'd suggest reading All-New Captain America (which just finished it's first arc) and Uncanny Avengers vol 2 (which is about to finish it's first arc, although he hasnt played a huge role in this series yet. still a great series and im sure he'll be used well in it, That series aslo features the Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, and the Vision, among other heroes.)

all-new-captain-america-001-1-638.jpg?cb

Uncanny_Avengers_Vol_2_1.jpg

Edited by PizzaGirl 420 (see edit history)

Posted

The vision is a ripoff of Martian Manhunter, true or false

But I agree with pizza

Posted

They have sort of similar powers, and they hold the same place on their respective teams, but  I think they have different enough powers.

Posted

Vision would win. But only the current version, who is divorced from Scarlet Witch (after she forced She-Hulk to kill him) because now he's still really powerful but also a huge bitter asshole.