The Merry Marvel Marching Society

1978 posts in this topic

Posted

Garth Ennis's Punisher is the shit.

Posted

Ant Man is really fun and cool. Pretty surprising, kinda. The trailers don't show the best parts.

also I won't spoil it, but when Luis is talking at the very end, relaying the story to Scott, listen closely for a cool and exciting Marvel reference.

Also the MCU sucks at villains but I like this one overall. Nothing mind blowing but i like him

Posted

This villain was the most cliched mad scientist comic book villain the mcu has shown so far, I think. Really dunno if I like him or not tbh.

Posted

Well there's only been Obadiah Stane so far in that category. He was probably the best villain so far.

I guess there have been a few mad scientist guys actually. But Yellowjacket is better than Whiplash and Aldritch Killian. They were lame

Posted

Whiplash was cool, aesthetically at least. But yeah you're right Yellow Jacket was just another Iron Man villain lol. My favorite villain in the MCU, hands down, was King Pin in season one of Daredevil. You should watch that if you haven't already. I think you, LL, would especially identify with both the hero and the villain. That's not like a cliched insult or anything. They are both very rich characters and their actor's did a magnificent job with their roles. 

Posted

I will watch Daredevil one day. :) Probably soon

I am hoping that Doctor Strange showcases Dormmamu in the movie. The MCU could have a great villain finally. Still holding out for MODOK also. 

Pizzza likes this

Posted (edited)

God I wanna punch Foggy in the face and I'm only on episode 3. His hair and his face makes me want to hit him.

The guy in episode 3 killing himself on the spike, what the fuuuuuck

This show is too good for the MCU. Like, it's hard to imagine brutal suicides existing in the MCU and then Thor making one-liners as he kills robot hordes. 

That's how life is, though. There are dark parts and then lighter funnier parts, and it all exists in the same universe. In our universe, people behead prisoners of war in one part of the world and make funny one-liners on the other side of the world. The difference between the two is what makes things interesting I guess. 

But still, the approach that the director took is so intimate and dark in Daredevil. I mean maybe that's how Hell's Kitchen feels in real life, so it may still work. 

I'm updating this thread as I go through the episodes

What the fuuuuuck. Episode 4 has the Russian thugs ripping out ribs of their cell-mate. I keep trying to remember that this is a Disney IP. This is the same property that Disney is going to create a goddamn 15 year old Spider-Man from. 

In retrospect, my favorite MCU hero is Captain America. He is grounded in reality for the most part, and represents a bygone era. 

I feel like he would identify most with the MCU's Daredevil, but also look down on his methods. 

Edited by L.L. Bean's Menswear (see edit history)
Pizzza and pheonix561 like this

Posted

I mean maybe that's how Hell's Kitchen feels in real life, so it may still work. 

The Hell's Kitchen of the Marvel Universe is like a mirror of the real Hell's Kitchen when it was first introduced in the comics. I mean, now the real HK is apparently pretty nice, at least compared to how it used to be, which is what the Marvel HK is based on. Does that make sense? I think it works cause Avengers 1 battle of New York took place in this universe, so it would make sense that it's currently run down and crime ridden. 

But yeah I knew you'd like it. Foggy is incredibly ugly too!

Punisher is set to show up in season 2 so that'll be rad

LLmao ?✊? likes this

Posted

Punisher-the-punisher-5858285-1024-768.j

Speaking of Punisher.

Netflix is in the early stages of planning a Punisher Spin-off series and will proceed with the series if the second season of Daredevil is a success.

The Hell's Kitchen of the Marvel Universe is like a mirror of the real Hell's Kitchen when it was first introduced in the comics. I mean, now the real HK is apparently pretty nice, at least compared to how it used to be, which is what the Marvel HK is based on. Does that make sense? I think it works cause Avengers 1 battle of New York took place in this universe, so it would make sense that it's currently run down and crime ridden. 

But yeah I knew you'd like it. Foggy is incredibly ugly too!

Punisher is set to show up in season 2 so that'll be rad

Oh yeah. I remember going to New York City in Middle school and I asked about Hell's Kitchen to the tour guide who answered "Umm yeah we don't call it that anymore. It's Clinton and Midtown West".

LLmao ?✊? likes this

Posted

Why does Matt Murdock wear a watch?? It's analog also.

Stick is just a blind Ra's Al Ghul 

Posted

The ticking. Its a constant source of sound he carries with him

Posted

It kind of takes away from Daredevil's choice to not kill when you know that the Punisher is gonna show up in Season 2. I mean there will definitely be conflict between the two. But like, even Iron Man has killed a puppy ton of guys in his movies. And he just goes back to being his normal self shortly after. 

I guess this is the problem with all superhero team up things. Like what's stopping Hawkeye from just shooting Fisk in the puppying head

Hawkeye loves killing guys. Captain America puppying wrecks guys. 

Or even like when Batman and Commissioner Gordon team up. Gordon uses a gun. It's fine if the hero doesn't kill. Like, that creates a compelling story and drama for the hero. But when you pair him up with a killer, like, all that goes out the window if you look too deeply into it. Gordon can like, just kill the Joker and be like "there you go, you're welcome". Gordon would get beat up but would Batman be satisfied with that result? 

Punisher and Daredevil will be a cool dynamic. I like Daredevil a lot after this show. It's my first real taste of him, though. I might watch the extended cut of the movie (it will probably still be lame, I know). I think I like him because he's a different flavor of Batman, but whatever. The show is good regardless

Posted (edited)

Shadows in the Glass, Speak of the Devil (despite the ninja lol), Nelson v. Murdock are my favorites so far. Also the most recent that I've seen. 

I really do not watch any live-action TV whatsoever. I'm glad that Netflix is delivering good quality shows. 

So in regards to Marvel's Phase 3, I am highly optimistic. With the Russo bros directing The Avengers: Infinity War parts 1 and 2, I think it'll be more serious and grounded. When I say that, I don't mean that serious and grounded are by default better than campy and fun. I I think that if Marvel can apologetically and seriously release Doctor Strange, then they will be set. I think that's the first of the MCU's Phase Three, right? 

It's like in the Harry Potter series. It gradually got less campy, less whimsical, but still was great. It's like Harry Potter franchise relied on happy nostalgic moments from the first three or four movies to hold you over until the end. I never wanna go back and rewatch The Sorcerer's Stone or The Chamber of Secrets because they are better as memories. Cheerful and fun nostalgia in my mind. I think that if you look back to Thor 1 or Iron Man 2 or whatever, then you'd laugh in embarrassment. I think the Phase Three movies represent a clean slate where the MCU can ramp up its quality and seriousness in a meaningful way. I think it'll be the best of all the phases. Phase 2 was severely lackluster, aside from the strange surprise success of GotG and Ant Man (if you consider it a success). I honestly think Daredevil is the biggest success. Captain America 2 was great, but it only helped lend to the tonal confusion of Phase 2. It's hard to go from the stupid and funny Thor 2 to a very serious and grounded Captain America 2 and then back to a funny and stupid Guardians of the Galaxy and then back to a serious Avengers 2 and then back to a small-scale and very fun Ant Man. In my opinion, it's just confusing. My only complaint about Daredevil is that it may be too dark. The direction might be too good for the MCU. How are we supposed to believe and identify with a very young, funny, and wise-cracking Spider-Man when we have this maniac breaking people's arms backwards and splintering their elbows out of their skin in Hell's Kitchen? It's very hard to have the stupid-as-hell S.H.I.E.L.D. show on TV while Daredevil is happening. Like, really? I am sure Marvel regrets the Shield show. 

My hopes for the MCU's Phase Three is a more even tone. Somehow blending the seriousness of Daredevil and its subsequent spin-offs with the fun of the Avengers movies. I hope the Russo bros can make a fun Avengers movie. Once you go dark, it's hard to go back. Just look at The Dark Knight to Dark Knight Rises transition. They went from a super serious movie to a more fantastic movie and it left a weird taste in my mouth. It's hard to cross the line of intimacy and seriousness that Avengers 2 and Captain America 2 flirts with and that Daredevil straight-up embraces. 

It's funny because I feel like DC's new cinematic universe has the opposite problem. They went way dark with Man of Steel, then they're going even darker (probably) with Batman v. Superman. I hope that they can find their correct tone. If Superman is dark and then they bring in Batman to be even darker, my only hope is that The Flash and Cyborg can bring some levity and humor to the extremely dour and dark franchise. 

Drunken rant over for now

I have offically become "that guy" on the internet who talks too deeply about superhero movies fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Skyler was right. I love Wilson Fisk. I have known of Kingpin for as long as I have known Marvel, but this show takes it to another level. I always secretly resent admitting that Disney/Marvel has done good work, but the Daredevil show is such a pleasant surprise. Like wtf

Also I have a huge crush on Fisk's girlfriend. I TOTALLY knew that she was Israeli. My second guess was Greek. Anyway. Ayelet Zurer is so pretty. She's kind of older, but respectable. That's what I like.  :muahaha:

She reminds me of Gal Gadot (Wonder Woman). Maybe Israeli women are just attractive to me. I know Iranian girls are. 

Edited by L.L. Bean's Menswear (see edit history)

Posted

Man, I got so sad when Daredevil met Melvin Potter :(

I always loved The Long Halloween Batman story because it dealt with gangsters and mob bosses. I loved the mob boss episodes of Batman: TAS the most. Wilson Fisk is a good villain. I love how he is soft-spoken and hesitant in public. I like how he is uncomfortable around Vanessa and in front of cameras. It's endearing. Anyway

It'll be even more scary when Kingpin eventually flips shit and beats the puppy out of Daredevil. 

Posted

I assumed Punisher and Daredevil won't be on a team. I figured he'd be a major antagonist from Daredevil's perspective. I'll read the rest later, I'm at work.