The Merry Marvel Marching Society

1978 posts in this topic

Posted

Yeah the relationship will be antagonistic o say the least. Matt decided early on that he wont kill and here comes this guy who has zero problem with bloodshed, there's going to be tension. During the Civil War storyline he delivered a beaten and bloody Spider-Man to Captain America's side and offered to fight along side them, they refused.

Posted

tumblr_np3mmurziT1qab0apo1_500.jpg

Marvel's next Netflix series Jessica Jones will debut in the fall and as psyched as I am for this series (I loved Alias, her comic series not the J.J. Abrams series) I'm a bit apprehensive about Ms. Ritter's acting chops. I've only ever seen her play the ditzy or self absorbed character and Jessica is not that, she is a jaded and cautious individual. 

For those unfamiliar Jessica Campbell was a Nerdy teen student at Midtown high school alongside another famous Nerd turned Super Hero (Peter Parker). She had a crush on Pete but never acted on it. While on a vacation to Disneyland courtesy of her father's boss Tony Stark their car was struck by a military convoy transporting highly radioactive waste, her parents were killed and she was severely injured and fell into a coma. She awoke sometime later during the fight between Galactus and the Fantastic Four and after recouping was adopted by the Jones family.

The Radioactive waste she was exposed to gave her super strength, limited invulnerability and flight. She became the costumes hero Jewel and had a fairly uneventful  career except for one big rather touchy subject.

She ran afoul of Zebediah Killgrave aka The Purple Man (played by David Tennant) and using his power of persuasion forced her to perform sexual acts, never on him but rather other Men and women. When she was finally released from his control she became closed off. Later after t err developing a friend's with benefits relationship with Luke Cage the pair eventually fell in love, got married and had a kid.

Posted

I like that comic book movies are taking a more literal approach to interpreting the comic costumes, especially considering that X-Men kinda started the trend of "realistic leather jackets" and are only now starting to join the "literal" trend started by the MCU. (I mean, aside from Batman and Superman movies) But this version of Apocalypse is just TOO literal imo. Late 80's and 90's X-Men were SOOOOOOO anime (of that era) looking. Like, look at Onslaught-

1063206-x_men_v2__053_02_03.jpg

There is no way to interpret that "realistically" AND aesthetically pleasing without changing up the fundamental design. Obviously i wanna still be able to look at the character on screen and instantly recognize them based on their costume, but i shouldn't be ridiculous and ugly. These two characters, and a few others, just don't translate super well across era and medium. I'm sure it CAN be done, the Sentinels looks pretty good in DOFP, both the past and future designs (with the former being a lot more faithful to the comics, but the later making perfect sense as well!) but I can imagine it's a challenge. Idk, just my 2 cents.

Posted

So I am watching the director's cut of Daredevil from 2003. So far it's not terrible. The fashion is bad. At the type of me writing this, Collin Farrell just showed up. It was so corny. Also I just hate his face in general. The Elektra part was dumb. Matt just like, randomly assaults her for no reason in front of a few dozen kids. 

The sensory-deprivation chamber is cool so far. I like how they show his like "sonar" also. Despite the show being so fresh on my mind, and despite this being made before superhero movies the point at which hit their stride (which I consider to be Spider-Man 2). Anyway, it's okay. Not the worst thing in the world yet. That could change. 

How does Collin Farrel have a career after this? Like seriously? He makes Ben Afflect look like a legendary actor by comparison. Also the soundtrack has Evanescence and Nickelback lmao

Also I hate Matt's "bed head". I mean I guess he's blind so his hair can be messy. Also I'm 55 minutes into it and they haven't referred to Jon Favreau's character by name. Is that a thing for him? Like in Iron Man 2, they called him Happy like once, for a second. Is he just really good at playing anonymous guys?

Also Ben Urich's costume is the puppying worst thing. The movie isn't the worst thing so far, though. 

So early 2000's puppying BARF

Pizzza likes this

Posted

Any comments on Deadpool? I just watched the trailer:

Like, is Deadpool the Peter Griffin of superheroes? I'm getting the impression of a witty power fantasy version of an edgy 14 year old, with no taste. He has a couple good lines, but then he's just busting out obnoxious irreverent one liners after he's a superhero. There are some elements of the character I dig, and I feel like I wouldn't totally dislike the movie, but then lines like "I'm gonna touch myself tonight" just punctuate anything good with a reminder of how immature this character feels. 

I don't know if I'm right, but wasn't Deadpool a villain? Because at the very least, he's already losing my sympathy by being obnoxious and unfunny, like an edgy kid at school who doesn't know how to make friends, and treats those he has like crap.

Posted

He's supposed to be a parody character. The trailer was cool and pretty alright. The guy talking about how ugly he is didn't make me laugh, though.

Posted

I can understand that then. Making a parody in the midst of all these other movies will be a hard one to pull off. Especially since they seem to be doing it in the style of more serious toned stuff. Not sure they're getting that goofiness across enough for me. I understood it was tongue in cheek, but I didn't understand that well enough when I watched the trailer. I'll give it another go later on.

Posted

Well, if you go on any thread anywhere that mentions Deadpool, most of the comments are "if they make a deadpool movie it HAS to be rated R cause of all the gore and jokes" and I'm like "those 2 things put together sounds tacky" and then i read a deadpool comic and im like "oh yeah deadpool is super tacky, as a character concept"

hes got like, super cancer but also has Wolverine's healing factor (taken from Wolverine's DNA) so supposedly the constant flux between health and cancer makes his brain chemicals puppyed up i guess. I mean, fair enough- if i can buy into the healing factor AND super cancer ideas, i suppose that would be a logical outcome of the two- but he's just annoying af. I stay away from everything involving him. I was even reading the latest series of Secret Avengers, and it was really good! But then Deadpool shows up half way through the series and, you know, i was reading the first issue that featured deadpool and i just struggled through the rest of the issue. It was so annoying to read deadpool puppy. Never picked up another issue, it was so off putting. 

But I mean, if you want a *soft* introduction to Deadpool, id still recommend that series and i can give you more info on it if anyone is interested. Its probably the best story you'll get featuring DP tbh.

But yeah, imagine a super hero neck beard weeaboo (minus the actual anime) and its DP. OH i'm sorrry, "A N T I - H E R O" as if it even matters.

Posted (edited)

Deadpool....deadpool...........This is all Daniel Way's fault. One bad writer and people's perception of a character is blitzed. Alright, so deadpool is good. The character at least, at different times either he or his book have been in dire straits content wise. So deadpool was a Rob Liefeld Deathstroke rip off. It was decided after a few appearances that to avoid lawsuits, they would try to make him different. This was done by making him funny, and that's an important keyword, he wasn't just trying to be funny, he WAS funny. Most of his early stories were by Joe Kelly, who introduced a lot of character concepts, Deadpool is an inherently lonely sort of guy, so he kidnapped an old blind woman to live in his house. This seemed a normal thing to him. Another aspect of his humor was he would occasionally break the 4th wall and talk to the audience. He would sometimes do this drastically, telling someone who asked him when the last time they met, "19 issues ago." This wasn't done very often though, so it was always funny. After Kelly was Cable and Deadpool, which was like the perfect buddy cop series. Then we got like, 3 years of Daniel Way, a writer most well known for taking one central aspect of a character and then putting a magnifying glass on it to the exclusion of everything else. So Deadpool became this semi retarded meme machine. At the same time as this Rick Remender was writing a fantastic nuanced Deadpool in his Uncanny X Force. So its not just the character, its the writer. The fact that his skin is all scarred up actually has me optimistic, because in Way's run he just looked like a bald guy.

Edited by Necropolis (see edit history)
Agent Zako and T1g like this

Posted (edited)

well the public has spoken and it seems that Fant4stic is an abysmal failure, it's a shame because I had high hopes for the film. I think Fox should let Marvel have the Fantastic Four film rights back and hopefully they will make the film the fans want.

The Deadpool Red Band trailer hit the net like a Chimichanga slathered in Salsa.

The Thunderbolts are headed to Netflix apparently.

After rumors to the contrary, Channing Tatum has officially signed on for the Gambit Solo film

Giuletta Nefaria aka Madame Masque is revealed to be the Big bad of Agent carter season 2

The Secret Warriors have been confirmed for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D season 3

Rumors abound of Arno Stark in Marvel Phase 3 and potential villain of Iron Man 4

Fox plans a Live action X-Men Series

Disney XD is planning a live action Power Pack series set in the MCU

Edited by Otis McNutt (see edit history)

Posted

well the public has spoken and it seems that Fant4stic is an abysmal failure, it's a shame because I had high hopes for the film. I think Fox should let Marvel have the Fantastic Four film rights back and hopefully they will make the film the fans want.

I'm not in the slightest surprised. The first time I saw the trailer it didn't feel right.

Posted

Ironically, Cable and Deadpool was the first Marvel series I ever read. It's not very good though.

Posted

I'm not in the slightest surprised. The first time I saw the trailer it didn't feel right.

Michael likes this

Posted

Marvel just needs to regain control of all of the film rights to their franchises... They're now rolling in dough unlike before, which is why they sold some of the film rights.