The Merry Marvel Marching Society

1978 posts in this topic

Posted

Marvel: Assembling a Universe is being shown tonight at 8pm on ABC instead of Agent of Shield. Im excited. 

Otis McNutt likes this

Posted

Damn they just dropped a Bomb in Marvel Studios: Assembling a Universe. Emily Vancamp is Agent 13 (Sharon Carter!).

Posted

hulk vs iron-man looked sweet

Posted

hulk vs iron-man looked sweet

That was the Hulk Buster Armor, a personal favorite of mine.

Posted

yeah, i know. i mean duh.

Posted

I found a twenty-or-so page spiderman comic on imgur that I thought I'd post here. Here's the link to the original imgur gallery in case anyone would rather read it there, and here it is under the spoiler:

uEm5x1O.jpg

nkEa9pv.jpg

vzgIJEG.jpg

KedAUrT.jpg

Iqf4jcf.jpg

Sp5562D.jpg

xCNxTxS.jpg

ulEdBMR.jpg

z0wBvOj.jpg

k5zNnJA.jpg

I'll post the rest in a few minutes when I can make a new post

Posted

I actually have that one in trade. :>

I dont know if your link had the whole story, but the spoilers ended before it should have.

I believe Wolverine wanted Spider-Man to wait til midnight with him to celebrate his (Wolverine's) birthday.

Posted

spoilered content ended early, yeah. You can only post ten pictures per post iirc. Here's the rest:

mdTnob6.jpg

oP0fnAB.jpg

QiyVlnl.jpg

SYx1dZu.jpg

Y0p6Xys.jpg

nBeBOYR.jpg

mqCE1nr.jpg

unqm7Wj.jpg

No, yeah, that's definitely why logan wanted peter there. He just wanted someone who still had faith in him to celebrate his birthday with.

There's another good spider man comic floating around imgur that's only eight images too, I'll post it soon.

Posted

On /co/ This and one about a sick kid with a spidey shrine get posted in feels threads a lot

Posted

Yeah, it's a really great short story, coming from someone who never reads marvel or DC. My biggest misconception and the one thing holding me back from ever getting into superhero comics is the idea that all of the writing is mindless genre fiction where everything happens based on whats popular at the time, like how krypton seriously used to be racially segregated, and only just recently are homosexual characters acceptable. It's exactly like how big corporations will only start using ads that depict radical new ideas like same-sex parents with their adopted children when the majority of their consumerbase finds it completely acceptable so they can look progressive. Sure it's an entirely acceptable move to make as a business, and you'd be fiscally irresponsible not to advertise to your consumers, but at the same time it's always come off to me as mindless pulp shaped to fit the current times. It's a big part of why I love the watchmen and all that.

Comics like these are a great reminder that I'm wrong and I should really try to get past my ridiculous prejudice and find a marvel/DC author or series that really knows how to write like this. I never know where to start though. In the interim I'm just going to keep telling everyone to go read berserk.

bdIiHrz.jpg

zdqLGV9.jpg

SxExwTP.jpg

gkAD5Lv.jpg

Gwdm0v4.jpg

OuyRukt.jpg

CS9TGm5.jpg

iw2KjS2.png

This comic is a great example of what I'm talking about. Apparently the human torch died? And I should be sad about that but they're probably just going to revive him whenever they feel like it. What the hell is the point of being sad about it? It's good writing though.

Posted

the Human Torch of the Fantastic Four has been back for a while now. It wasnt a big deal, but it was cool that his death resulted in the Future Foundation (I think) or at least that Spider-Man got to take his place for a bit.

Pheo, i suggest you find a writer you like, as opposed to a character, and follow him/her. I HIGHLY recommend Brian Micheal Bendis. He's known for turning the Marvel universe on it's head and for his stories to have effects that last years and years. Right now he's doing a lot for the X books. (All-New X-Men, and Uncanny X-Men) as well as Guardians of the Galaxy. If you can get into a writer, it will open a shit ton of content for you to further indulge in. You'll learn to love, or hate characters, and then when other writers write them, you'll start to care. 

Posted

Awesome. When did guardians of the galaxy begin anyways? I hadn't heard of it before it had it's movie debut announced after the avengers came out.

Posted

I also recommended Jason Aaron. I dont know too much of his work, but i hear his work on the current Thor series is pure gold. 

Guardians of the Galaxy have been around since before we were born. Though the new series is a lot lighter than the past. I havent read too much of the previous stuff, but ive heard it been compared to the work of H.P. Lovecraft. You know, crazy shit on a cosmic scale.

Posted (edited)

Awesome. When did guardians of the galaxy begin anyways? I hadn't heard of it before it had it's movie debut announced after the avengers came out.

Bendis's Guardians is kinda meh. He's stellar at books about single characters, like his Daredevil run or Ultimate Spiderman, but his team books are just okay. The Caveat for that is Heroes for hire of course.

My recommendation would be to catch up on some of the british wave of writers from the late 80s early nineties. You've read watchmen, but you should definately check out Alan Moores other stuff as well. Swamp thing, V for vendetta, and now you can finally get his Miracleman, which is being reprinted in issues but it'll get trades eventually

Theres also Neil Gaiman, Garth Ennis, Grant Morrison(who may or may not be your thing), and Warren Ellis.

I would particularly recommend Transmetropolitan, Sandman, and Preacher. All series by the above writers that jave defined beginnings, endings and haven't been mined to death after ending

Edited by Necropolis (see edit history)

Posted

I disagree. Although Bendis' run in gaurdians isn't the best, I still think it's pretty good. But All-New X-Men is most deff one of, if not the best marvel book running at the moment. I didn't even care about X-Men before it and now I like them more than the Avengers.