The Merry Marvel Marching Society

1978 posts in this topic

Posted

I got a lot of comics this weekend at the local convention. Gonna talk about em here, only 1 is Marvel, but this is more of the Comic book General anyway.

Saga Volumes 1 and 2: Its just as good as everyone says. This is the best thing I've read since Starman, which is the best thing I've read since Sandman. Image has cheap trades, all lower than 20 dollars, you would be remiss not to buy all 3 that are out now

Locke and Key Volume 1: Cool set up to a cool horror series.

Invincible Omnibus 1: Haven't read yet. Eagerly awaiting

Flex Mentallo: Grant morrison doing a comic about the strongman from old comic book ads. I fully expect it to be weird and fun

A collection of Conan the barbarian stories

And lastly, a collection of the hobgoblin's early stories.

It was a good con.

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

My friend has Saga vols 1 and 2 but we haven't read them yet. He's kinda a slow comic reader, it's hard for him to make time for them.

Posted

Its so good.

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

Captain America 2 was soooooooooooooooooooo great. It had every kind of action (fist fights, dog fights, car chases, gun fights, etc.) And it was so genre bending! It was part Super Hero, part Political Thriller (that is super relevant to today) part Espionage! Man, Marvel really out did themselves.  

SilverAlchemic likes this

Posted

A really cool, but lesser known Hero. The Sentry-

and also, X-Men DoFP clip!

Posted

So this is sad to hear- Bryan Singer, the director of X-Men, X-2, and the upcoming Days of Future Past and X-Men Apocalypse, is accused of Child Molestation

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/17/showbiz/bryan-singer-sex-lawsuit/?hpt=hp_t2

This is the 2nd time something like this has come up in his career, but the first time saw nothing come from the accusations.

I'll still probably see DoFP. I dont think this will change my mind in seeing it. Not because Im a fan of X-Men, but because these accusations seem to be against Singer himself, and not the Fox company or anything. And a movie, especially a block buster like this, is more than just the director. It's the entire crew, the actors, the producers, etc.

Posted

Man, be a bummer if this kills all the momentum that's going with the X movies.

Posted

i mean, the movies are still a cluster puppy disappointment. Compared to the comics at least. I dont mind the stories being different, but the characters are bastardized versions of the source material. But whatever I'll see it.

Posted

Uhhh. Not sure if you're aware, but the large majority of X men continuity is a massive puppying clusterpuppy.

Posted

Yeah but the characters generally remain true to themselves. Like Rouge is a badass (most of the time) but in the movies she's just always sad. Cyclops had great character evolution in the comics, from boy scout to hard ass terrorist. In the movies he's just a winy punk. 

Mystique

Beast

Storm

Gambit

Iceman

Kitty Pryde

the list goes on

At least they got Wolverine right, for the most part.

I care more about the characters being portrayed accurately than i do the stories. I understand stories have to be changed for the main stream audience. Im okay with seeing new/different stories. I just hate seeing characters being pooped on.

Posted

With the massive amount of X men comics that have come out in the last 40 years all the characters have been around the block about a dozen times. Some characters bare little resemblence to what they were when they started. You mentioned rogue, when you get a chance take a look at how she appeared before absorbing Ms. Marvels powers. Or Jubilee who is now a vampire with a kid. If you looked a little closer at Cyclops character arc, I think you'll find between boyscout and terrorist, quite a bit of boyscout, frustrated widower and back. Its all a big clusterpuppy.

What i'm getting at here is that when you adapt something like that its necessary to simplify it to a certain degree, and you have to pick a version of the character you think everyone will be happy with. I hated X men the last stand and origins wolverine for instance, because they are inconsistent to their own rules and characters. People in that movie don't act like they do in previous movies. They are filled with plot holes the size of Oregon. I look forward to Days of Future past because it looks like they are going to reconcile what was good about the old movies, namely 1 and 2, with Xmen first Class. And in so doing they will use a comic technique previously absent from comic book movies, the retcon. My hope is, after this all the holes will be filled and they can continue going with new casts, new teams, and start adapting, or not adapting, the plethora of other famous storylines in X man history.

Also recast Emma Frost, never seen a character so underacted

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

You make a great point. I suppose I havent looked at it like that to the full extant. Honestly I act like I know a lot about Marvel, which I do since i study it so much in my leisure, but im a pretty new reader, so most of what i know is second hand interpretation and blatant fact, rather than first hand experience from reading the older stuff. I appreciate your input in this thread!

Also, yeah Frost is such a cool character but Origins and then First class puppyed her up. She was horribly messed up twice! Though first class was the better of the two for her, i suppose. 

Posted

Well, origins Emma was hardly Emma. I prefer to think of her as Bejeweled-Woman. Origins is a field so rife with plot holes you just can't consider anything in it canon. Meanwhile First Class Emma is just so...boring... Her every line is so underacted. Like, I would rather have a crazy over the top performance than robotic wooden dialogue

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

Yeah, totally agreed. But she looked cool though, as far as special effects go.

X-Men+First+Class05.jpg

also, ive been watching that Avengers children's anime, Disk Wars. And its actually pretty good, as far as children's anime goes. Puts a fun spin on the Marvel Universe and has lots of cool cameos. Like episode one, aside from the 5 main heroes, features Spider-Man, Cyclops, Beast, Iron Fist, Doctor Strange, and War Machine. And canon villains show up, like Loki, King Cobra, Baron Zemo, Modok, Green Goblin, and more.

Posted

Nice to here its good. Marvels last few forays into anime have been meh.

Tokusatsu on the other hand... Well... Theres always SUPAIDAMAN

Then there is this glorious jewel. They had planned on making, sort of like a Japanese Avengers, but it ended up being the 3 Sentai series. Technically speaking the first SUPER Sentai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a10LdXNuIhE

Food for thought

PrimaGaga likes this