The Merry Marvel Marching Society

1978 posts in this topic

Posted

So im like 99% sure i heard this is out of continuity, and it makes sense. Still, looks like a good read that id like to check out eventually.

Posted

As you guys have probably noticed, I really don't like the direction that Disney is taking the Marvel Animated Universe. It's cool that all the current shows on Disney XD share the same Universe, and often crossover, but the subject matter is way too *kid friendly* and too far away from canon as well. Very disappointing. But Ultimate Spider-Man (cartoon) is doing a "Spider-Verse" arc called "Web Warriors" to coincide with the Spider-Verse comic arc/mini-series coming up. And guess who they got to voice Miles Morales' cartoon self?

DONALD GLOVER!

And if you don't know why that's puppying fantastic, lemme esplain it to you-

First of all, Glover, in part, inspired MIles Morales' creation in the Ultimate Spider-Man comics. He's a HUGE Spider-Man fanatic, and started a twitter campaign to play Spider-Man in the recent movie reboots. Obviously, he didn't get the part, but he had some really insightful reasons why he, or any person of color, could and should play Spider-Man (or any Super Hero, but specifically Spider-Man) Two reasons I really found mind blowing (as a white guy who never even thought about the issue before) Is that, 1- Anyone can be Spider-Man. Spider-Man wears a full body costume, showing no skin. He could even be mistaken for a female, to be honest. This is a reason why the character is so popular, especially among minorities- he's easy to self-insert yourself into. You can read a Spider-Man comic, and during the action scenes his race not only doesn't matter, it doesn't exist. How great! And 2- Is it really so hard to imagine a Black Peter Parker? Like, a black kid from the Bronx who likes science and photography and lives with his Aunt? Are ANY of those qualities race exclusive?? Peter Parker could be Black, or Hispanic, or Asian, or even a Girl and the story would be exactly the same. puppy, you could even have him be gay and have Mary Jane be a guy (with a hopefully new name lol) and it would NOT change the story at all. 

I'm really happy for Glover. This isn't the answer to the problems we seem with the MCU (or even the DC movies) concerning race/gender/minorities, but it's at least Marvel acknowledging Donald Glover and the people he's representing. And that's a great start!

pheonix561 likes this

Posted (edited)

That's cool. There aren't really any problems with the MCU or DC, though. If anything, the MCU has haphazardly changed too many characters into minorities. I'm really only referring to Heimdal in Thor. I know the Marvel Thor isn't exactly like the Norse myths, but Thor is specifically a white character. You can argue that Spider-Man could be any race, but Thor and Asgardians should be white.

Like what if Apocalypse in Ancient Egypt in X-Men Apocalypse was like, an Asian?

But Miles Morales is black (I guess?) so I guess a black guy voice actor fits

Edited by L.L. Bean's Menswear (see edit history)

Posted

I know the Marvel Thor isn't exactly like the Norse myths, but Thor is specifically a white character. You can argue that Spider-Man could be any race, but Thor and Asgardians should be white.

He's actually a fictional character and can be any race (or, literally ANYTHING) the writers see fit. See, fiction isn't real. I know that's confusing to some people, but try to let that sink in a bit. 

Posted

Thor is a fictional character, but he is specifically a Norse one. You are taking offense on a video game forum in a discussion of comic book characters. Please don't be that guy. Relax

Posted

I think Female Thor is stupid. Not because the idea of a woman becoming worthy of Mjolnir and becoming Thor is unbelievable, its happened before. I specifically remember a marvel vs. dc comic where Wonderwoman got Thor's hammer. It was really cool. No, its stupid because its just a publicity stunt. Marvel can be really transparent about these things sometimes. It'll last a year MAYBE. Thats if the numbers keep up. People forget that Journey into mystery was cancelled shortly after Sif took over the book. And that was a GOOD book. Something forced and artificial like this will keep people's attention for a couple issues max.

Posted

Thor is a fictional character, but he is specifically a Norse one. You are taking offense on a video game forum in a discussion of comic book characters. Please don't be that guy. Relax

I'm not offended. I just think your argument is inherently invalid. Anything can be anything in fiction. Thor was actually a frog in a few comics. Like a little green amphibian. There are no rules when you write fiction.

The Vampire lore is heavily based on Vlad the Impaler. He was the bases for the modern Dracula character. Yet now we have Twilight, the Vampire Dairies, and True Blood. Fiction, even fiction based on other, already established works, changes and evolves with the desires of each writer. So yeah, a non white-non male Thor is not that unrealistic.   

Posted

It is unrealistic because it's fiction.

See, fiction isn't real. I know that's confusing to some people, but try to let that sink in a bit.

Posted

now you're getting it! <3

Posted

All-New X-Men #31

All-NewX-Men31-Page21_zps71d2fa87.jpg

This should be a fun arc!

Posted

Whats going on here?

Posted

the All-New X-Men meet a new mutant who creates portals to other universes. 

Posted

You can argue that Spider-Man could be any race, but Thor and Asgardians should be white.

Like what if Apocalypse in Ancient Egypt in X-Men Apocalypse was like, an Asian?

I'm not trying to start an argument, especially one on a conversation that's over. But I was talking about this with a friend and they brought up an excellent point that I cant just let slip by.

Jesus-Christ-christianity-17724130-405-2

JESUS-620_1587358a.jpg

jesus-christ7-740x405.jpg

This man, an actual for reals historical figure, was a Middle-Eastern Jew. Yet here we are.

Posted

Historical whitewashing is pretty common. I would guess that a lot of Iconography for Jesus was changed when early Christians were trying to adopt roman ways in order for it to appeal better to them. Which worked, given down the line Rome became Christian. Same reason Saturnalia was merged into Christmas, and the Christmas tree and Yule Log, both Celtic traditions. Its almost kind of frustrating, but the alternative was being thrown to lions, so ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Posted

Historical whitewashing is pretty common. I would guess that a lot of Iconography for Jesus was changed when early Christians were trying to adopt roman ways in order for it to appeal better to them. Which worked, given down the line Rome became Christian. Same reason Saturnalia was merged into Christmas, and the Christmas tree and Yule Log, both Celtic traditions. Its almost kind of frustrating, but the alternative was being thrown to lions, so ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I mean, that's still doesn't justify it in today's modern media. (Ex, the last picture I posted)

Also- "Exodus: Gods and Kings" (2014) A movie set in historical Egypt about Egyptians doing Egyptian things....

Featuring an almost exclusively White cast. Haha.