The Merry Marvel Marching Society

1978 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Not trying to start an argument, but you realize that this is proving my point, right

Spider-man is a white character created by white people in white culture. White culture isn't lack of a culture. Arbitrarily changing a character from white to black is more socially acceptable than changing a black character to a white one. I shouldn't even be saying "white culture", as there are countless ethnic groups in the blanket group of "white".

Black people are in no way a majority of anything in the US, so there's not like, this secret market of black people to tap into by making Spider-man black for no reason. If there was some statement to be made or some ideas to explore that only black Spider-man can do, then maybe that's a reason. Spider-man isn't some foreign idea that has to be changed to appeal to new groups of people.

I feel like it's just for publicity, if anything. It's nothing to get upset about, but see it for what it is.

Edited by L.L. Bean's Menswear (see edit history)

Posted

Omg this is so funny but also so relevant-

• Straight White Guys: It's not racist. The reason why most characters are straight white guys is it's a business. They just want to do what makes the most money. No one's being racist or sexist. It's just smart business.
  • Straight White Guys: Having a Black Captain America or Pakistani Ms. Marvel or female Thor is PANDERING. All they're trying to do is get MONEY from you. It's just a marketing ploy! This is horrible!

My actual point was, if Jesus (a real life human being) can be *whitewashed* so easily and without any complaints what-so-ever, than why is it such a huge deal when race is changed for fictional characters in various adaptations. It's hypocrisy!

Posted

It's not a big deal, that's my own point?

And quoting something from somewhere that agrees with my point is supposed to invalidate what I said, I guess? Because someone, somewhere thought the same thing?

Posted

If that post reinforces *your* point/argument, then you've either changed your argument or are trying to pass it off as if you agreed with me the whole time lmao.

Posted

Whitewashing occurs to market something to a different audience. But I am saying that the black market is so small that it can't be for that reason. My point was this always happens, and that we should see it for what it is

Posted

But I am saying that the black market is so small that it can't be for that reason.

2058_1397827412.jpg

----

You are essentially arguing that the Black Demographic does not exist. Yet Tyler Perry is EXTREMELY successful and exclusively targets the Black Demographic.

I could go on and on

Posted

I guess you got me. A black Spider-man would have meteoric success and would join the pantheon of super successful, critically acclaimed properties such as BET and Tyler Perry's Madea movies.

u got me

When you bring up Tyler Perry as the measure of success, I'm sorry but I've already walked away from the computer

Posted

Here is a small list of net worth of a few successful Black entertainers who are not only part of, but primarily target, the Black demographic. Yes, some of these actors also target the *White* demographic, but yeah, primarily the Black demographic.

Jamie Foxx- 85 million

Eddy Murphy- 85 million

Denzel Washington- 104 million

Morgan Freeman- 150 million

Samuel L Jackson- 170 million

Will Smith- 200 million

TylerPerry_zps6c2adb5f.png

You don't think Tyler Perry is successful because you don't enjoy his films. But that's okay, you aren't part of the Black Demographic. These films are not intended for you. But with a net worth of $400 million, to deny his success is simply delusional. 

The White Demographic is the biggest demographic in America, yes, i completely agree. But you can't discredit the success of minority demographics. To even imply that the Black demographic is a *fringe* demographic is completely absurd! The numbers don't lie. It's clearly a successful demographic to target. 

EDIT- the fact that you even know who Tyler Perry is proof of his success. 'nuff said.

Posted

Omg this is so funny but also so relevant-

My actual point was, if Jesus (a real life human being) can be *whitewashed* so easily and without any complaints what-so-ever, than why is it such a huge deal when race is changed for fictional characters in various adaptations. It's hypocrisy!

Without complaint? You're complaining at this very moment. For many centuries complaining against church canon was punishable by severity of infraction. It could get very nasty. I'm not saying its a good things, its jut what happened

Posted

I feel like you honestly don't understand the concept of "oppressor vs oppressed." Yes, I'm complaining. I'm probably the 1 person complaining about this issue for every 1000+ people who are satisfied with this particular *statis quo*. I'm not too sure why you even bothered to post the rest of your comment... Should I, in 2014, feel physically threatened by the jurisdiction power of the Catholic Church? Lol

Posted (edited)

I'm not arguing, but I think Skyler kind of sees himself vs "status quo". That's my personal gripe against any movement, protest, or anything of the sort. "Status quo" can mean whatever the person wants it to mean. There's no definitive status quo. They're fighting against their idea or the status quo, or their idea of society, or their idea of an agenda. Earlier today, Skyler told me that because I'm a straight white male, I was operating under the straight, white male agenda. Verbatim. The oppressed can only think of a handful of anecdotal examples of oppression. They cannot point out a single individual who oppressed them. We all have our own ideas of what society means to us. It pisses me off when I'm told which society I belong to when I don't identify with any that I could name. And it's also annoying to be told what my agenda is.

I feel like the "oppressed", or at least Skyler in this situation, see the world as oppressed vs everyone.

(Not trying to attack Skyler; I apologized to him)

Edited by L.L. Bean's Menswear (see edit history)

Posted

I don't have the time or the will to address all of that tonight, but when I said you were perpetuating an agenda... Well basically you are taking that entirely out of context. You aren't perpetuating the *straight white agenda* simply because you are straight, but rather because of the horrible and ignorant ideas you were presenting. I'll discuss this and the rest of that later. But honestly, I might as well be talking to a puppying brick wall. The ONLY reason our texts and this thread conversations went on for as long as they did was because I respected you and was hoping you'd at least TRY to understand what I was saying. But no, you're not wrong because you never are. You're ego won't allow it. Gross.

Posted

Whites win again!

The Emperor of White People will be mosssst pleasssed to hear this good newwws! (Hissy snake voice)

Posted

Yeah, I kinda figured your previous apology held no merit at all. Just like you~

Actually, I'm 100% positive that the ONLY reason you *apologized* was so you could post that you had done so. I'm not stupid, Alex. I see through you like glass, which is fitting because your opinions, ideals, and *intelligence* shatter just as easily under pressure.

Posted

Why are you talking like an anime character

My ideals are no match for your blade