The Merry Marvel Marching Society

1978 posts in this topic

Posted

Planet Hulk is good. Man that Red King is an Asshole. After you finish reading it you should watch the Animated Film based on it. There are some differences to the comic story though. Instead of Silver Surfer, Hulk fights Beta Ray Bill (Who followed the Kronans from Earth).

The follow-up to Planet Hulk, World War Hulk is also very good.

In other Marvel news, Bollywood actors have gotten their collective panties in a bunch over how Calcutta is portrayed as a Slum in the film. The thing is, there are Slums in Calcutta.

Posted

I don't often agree with you, EDA, but here I couldn't agree more.

Posted

Welcome to Merry Marvel in Review. This weekly topic showcases a recent comic release by Marvel. And for the inaugural entry I though I'd review:

Spider-Man: Season One

Written by Cullen Bunn and Drawn by Neil Edwards

Inspired by the now 50 year old "Amazing Fantasy #15" this is a new updated introduction of Spider-Man.

Shy and Geeky Highschool Freshman Peter Parker just can't seem to catch a break. He is bullied by jocks and ignored by the ladies, until one day he is bitten by a Spider who was exposed to Radioactive rays. He develops powers similar to that spider and decides to use his powers to get rich. After he is discovered following an amateur MMA fight, he is signed by an agent and makes frequent appearances on late night Television. After a taping he is so wrapped up in his own fame he allows a Bank Robber to escape. A few days later after a Mall opening appearance he finds his Uncle dead and tracks down the man responsible, it's the same man from before. He vows to use his powers to protect people. A task made harder by the Daily Bugle, a newspaper that has recently branded him a menace. When a threat arises in the form of Vulture, Spider-Man takes to his webs to stop the criminal before it's to late.

Writing: **1/2

Art: ***

Season One is an ok origin story, but as Origins go the superior update is Ultimate Spider-Man's. Radioactivity is so 60's, genetic engineering is the way to go.

As a bonus for all the support Hyrule.net has given to the MMMS I'm giving away a free Digital Copy of Spider-Man Season One to one lucky reader. If you have any Apple iOS Device or an Android device follow these steps to download a free digital copy of this book.

1. Go to marvel.com/redeem

2. Follow on-screen instructions to redeem the code (SMSP1DQWLEAS)

3. Launch the Marvel Comics App (which you should've downloaded already) and read the comic

4. You can find it under "My Comics" tab.

Posted

I have a few digital codes for some of the comics I've bought too. I'll probably share them later.

Posted

Andrew Garfield, the young British actor stepping into the boots of everyone's favorite Wall-Crawler recently sat down with "Vulture" to talk about his recent success including his BAFTA award, Tony buzz for "Death of a Salesman" and of course "The Amazing Spider-Man". When asked his thoughts on a Spider-Man appearance in Avengers 2, Garfield replied.

"I was very, very jealous, and I wanted to jump on the screen and play with them. It killed me that I wasn't in it, but I understand why, and I'm not insulted. But hey, if Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury) wants to give me a shout, I'm there for the next one."

So there you go, Peter Parker himself wants to join in the Avengers big screen heroics. Is this confession the kick in the pants Sony needs to allow Spidey into Marvel's Avengers?

Only time will tell.

to read the entire article follow the link below:

http://www.vulture.com/2012/05/andrew-garfield-death-of-a-salesman-spider-man-interview.html

Posted

All I know is that Andrew Garfield is squidding hot. Especially since he was in Doctor Who. :>

Posted

You are cordially invited to the Wedding of Jean-Paul Beaubier to his long time boyfriend Kyle Jinadu. The couple are registered at the Marvel Store (http://www.MarvelStore.com) and Things From Another World (http://www.tfaw.com).

The Wedding will take place:

Date: June 20th 2012 at 12PM

Astonishing X-Men #51 on sale June 20th 2012

Posted

I actually picked Astonishing X-Men back up recently since I heard the news. Too bad I'm still on issue 16 or something. LONG WAY TO GO!

Posted

It's time once again True Believers for....

MARVEL OBSCURE SHOWCASE!!!!!

Today I bring you The Impossible Man

Impossible Man was born on the Planet Poppup and is of a race that reproduces asexually and can alter their molecularly malieable bodies to temporarily assume any shape imaginable. Poppup was an inhospitable planet so this shape-shifting ability was necessary for survival. By the time of Impossible Man's birth his people Evolved a consciousness, linking the entire Race in a group mind.

He first encountered Earth when he hitched a ride with the Fantastic Four who were passing by Poppup following a space adventure. The Thing gave him his name after commenting how his powers were Impossible.

Posted

Nobody likes that guy. He's also not that obscure. Be more obscure. :<

Posted

Long before Samuel L. Jackson donned the eyepatch to play S.H.I.E.L.D commander Nick Fury, Baywatch and Knight Rider star David Hasselhoff played the character in the ultimately forgettable 1998 TV movie "Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D". The Hoff claims his Fury was Stan Lee approved and that he was promised the Fury part if he was ever needed again. Luckly they went with Sam Jackson or we'd get a drunk, babbling fury eating a hamburger off of the Helicarrier's floor.

Posted

Sad news True Believers, The Avengers top spot on the Box-office has been seized by the Will Smith starting "Men in Black 3" (saw it this past Saturday, much better than MIB 2). But don't feel sorry for Earth's Mightiest Heroes, the worldwide box-office has just reached $1,195,539,621 that's more than the Gross National Product of most countries! In other Avengers news, the release date for the DVD and Blu-Ray has been revealed, you can own The Avengers on September 25th as four versions:A Four disc Blu-Ray/DVD Ultimate EditionA Three Disc Blu-Ray/DVD editionA two disc Special Edition DVDA single Disc DVD

Posted

Duly noted

Posted

The Merry Marvel Digital Comics swap-shop

As an avid visitor to the comic shop I have amassed a rather impressive collection of Digital comic codes for free issues on select Marvel titles. I don't have an iphone, ipad or android device so I decided to post the codes here to spread the love to my cash strapped cohorts at Hyrule.net.

The instructions are simple:

1. Go to Marvel.com/redeem

2. Follow the on-screen instruction to successfully redeem your code

3. launch any of the Marvel comics apps (Marvel Comics Apple iOS, Marvel Chrome Store, Marvel comics Android app).

4. Your comic will be found in the "My Comics" Tab.

5. Read and enjoy

Avenging Spider-Man:

Issue #1: AVSM1L5FSD8C (Expires 11/10/12)

Issue #2: AVSM21X1IGIF (exp:12/08/12)

Issue #3: AVSM3XIR6F6K (exp: 01/19/13)

Issue #4: FE212LJM31W9 (exp: 02/16/13)

Issue #5: DCM120M4K8XU (exp: 03/29/13)

Issue #6: ATMC1PVRP4GX (exp: 04/12/13)

Issue #7: ATMC1IZHKWZJ

Avengers VS X-Men:

Issue #0: ATMC1H3VBHR1 (exp: 03/29/13)

Issue #1: ATMC1THLQT5V (exp: 04/05/13)

Issue #2: ATMC1VBH49N2 (exp: 04/19/13)

Issue #3: ATMC150M05C9 (exp: 05/03/13)

Issue #4: ATMC1UD3S100 (exp: 05/17/13)