Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Hyrule.net Renaissance Thread

28 posts in this topic

Posted

Here is where you go to suggest and commit to things to get this place up and running again.

Objective:

• Bring in an influx of new users
  • Maintain new users on the site
  • Actually punish those for wrongdoing
  • Do away with the stigma that new users have
  • Contribute new, original content, preferably guides of some sort
  • Organize events that keep users interested

I think we should really bring back the news forum. It was the easiest thing to post on to get news on the front page. It was as smooth as glass.

People Who Committed to Things:

• Sahaqiel committed to: Link's Awakening Review, Guide, possible video for both as well as gif-based guides
  • Ganny committed to: Majora's Mask playthrough
  • Fierce Muffin committed to: Sahaqiel vs. Fierce Muffin race for Oracle of Seasons/Ages streamed

This is more to guilt people into continuing to do those things. Sign up for committing by saying so in the thread below.

Suggestions:

• Bring back the news forum posting news on the main site. It is super, super easy, and would help increase forum activity from people who only frequent the main page who may or may not exist
  • Stop being dicks to new users. Like seriously. I'll start banning
  • Someone needs to post up a Skyward Sword guide, preferably with video.
  • More emphasis on the ability for anyone to make reviews, news, or guides for Zelda games
  • More consistent podcasts
  • Let's Plays with multiple users commentating
  • Push and collaborate with Majora's Mask Opera more, possibly as an Hnet exclusively sponsored thing, if it actually hasn't been posted on other sites
  • Get News Submitters that are dedicated to writing news
  • Throw in some other games too, but keep Zelda a focus
  • Give Rupees a use

I'm also going to add more Zelda-oriented forums and subforums, whether any of you like it or not.

Let's dredge this place up from the stale waters it's sunken into.

pheonix561, Arachne and Ammonsa like this

Posted

I vote that Cirt writes a guide for Wind Waker. She has a reason to play through the game and since it will be her first time she'll have a first-timer's perspective on the game and can probably write a more relatable guide or something.

Posted

Can we also just do let's plays for the hell of it? Like for entertainment purposes and not serious guide making? I mean, it'd be fun.

Also, assuming this is successful and we cover a lot of Zelda stuff, would I hurt to cover a few other fantasy games? But Zelda comes first though.

Posted

• Someone needs to post up a Skyward Sword guide, preferably with video.

i nominate t1g because of his insane final boss run.

Posted

1:23 only hit once

Posted

Ganny committed to: Majora's Mask playthrough

ahaha

There's also been talk of doing Let's Plays, and there should be a new podcast out by E3. Things like this could be our strong point, I think, as we're a community known for our characters.

amongst outselves.

so far. B)

Posted

I'm down for a podcast. If at least 3 other people commit to it this could be a real thing.

Posted

Let's plays and podcasts are fine. For the podcasts, a regular cast is pretty much agreed upon to be Nabe, Ganny, Muffin, pheo, and I, with room for extras that aren't regular I suppose? Nabe wants to do a third podcast despite not having put up podcast two due to complications and distractions.

Also, if any of you do guides, it would be very preferable if you could record it with a video capture card, or use the recording feature that emulators tend to have. And if you can, try to rip audio from games by recording it with an emulator or ripping the audio from the recording. Just stay in a spot with no other noises other than the audio you want to record, and then have it loop a few times before moving onto a different area. I really really want to emphasize this content thing.

Also, my secret weapon I was thinking of for awhile is gif-based guides, another reason to record your playthroughs. A lot of guides are just plain white text and don't really elaborate too thoroughly. Sometimes there are pictures, but if there are too many, then it becomes cluttered. I haven't ever really run into a site where gifs used to elaborate actions are standard practice, and if we can utilize those in our guides, I think we would become really popular.

A tip for people who write guides: take notes on everything. If someone in the game mentions anything about anything else related to lore, history, monsters, other characters, locations, anything, then write it down. Original research can really pay off, especially when people come here seeking knowledge. Just open a Notepad document and write it in. Make a folder. Save your files with actual names rather than hammering your keyboard because you're too lazy to think of a proper title. It makes it easier to find and keep track of later. Proper organization is key. Name your notes in segments if you have a lot of them. And make sure to talk to everyone and everything. If you don't want to refer to another guide, try everything you can to find it yourself and maybe you could gain insight on how to solve problems in the game this way?

I updated the first post. After I turn in my last homework assignment for the semester, I'll be able to work on the LA guide. I want to also make a video guide, which means recording my entire playthrough. I also want to rip all the audio I can and record all the content the game has to offer. Possibly a let's play. I want to leech all the content out of this game, forever. I want to make it so no one ever has to go to another site to find anything about the game, because I'll already have it. That's the kind of attitude I want you guys to have if you write a guide.

Sahaqiel

Posted

Also yeah, rather than talking about everything in IRC how about you talk about stuff on the forum as well that'd be cool. I feel like anything you have to say about the current airing anime you've just not been talking about, unless you don't have an opinion on it (which you totally do because you are Sahaqiel).

I wont be writing guides or anything like that though personally. I could try making some content but I don't know what.

All I can really think of to do would be maybe talking about games as I play them, and try to be funny.

Maybe not a walkthrough though, I'm not that committed, and I don't really care enough about games to play any more than once.

I just wish people would talk more about what they're doing, watching, or playing, rather than keeping it to themselves. Talk about it, rather than just saying "I'm watching this", "I'm playing this". We wont get much discussion going without that, right?

We could do some podcast as E3 airs, commentating it as it happens. Then crop out the good bits or just leave it bare. Or just podcasts following presentations.

Posted

Anime nights are fun. Those would be cool to bring back. Honestly, this is more for the Zelda portion of the forum, but I can understand what you mean. I miss user interactions because of the Skype/IRC divide, which I am still annoyed about. With Skype being a medium that stores past information, as well as statuses, there has been less of a need for users to make threads, which we used to do about the most trivial things.

I think making E3 an event would be pretty helpful, yeah. Have everyone be in chat or in a stream waiting for stuff to happen with all the commentators "hosting".

Posted

I'm not actually in Skype anymore. Haven't been for ages, since a week or few before Cascade's leaving thread drama. Don't text anybody on the forums either. Or use IRC or Facebook. So I kind of miss being able to discuss things with people, and being left out of the loop when people are watching stuff together.

Discussing things in instant messages is tiring sometimes anyway.

Posted

Yes, we will talk about stuff in the anime thread more. I am also a bit exasperated with the fact that watching things isn't something we all do together much anymore. So yeah.

Any takers for writing up something? I suggest writing up analyses on stuff in the Zelda franchise.

Actually, it kind of just dawned on me that mostfolk aren't quite as knowledgeable in the series as I am, and I'm not the most savvy I could be. So scratch that if you can't do it, but if you have any ideas, that would be cool.

Posted

Yeah, haven't been on the forums as much as usual, and I'm guilty of going on Skype instead of IRC.

I'd love to see the podcasts up and running, and joining in would be fun. The way my work is going I have more free time than usual, so time change would be less of an issue there.

Anime night was fun. Regular movie nights would also be cool.

I'm kind of torn about the E3 thing. On the one hand, I'd like to find out what has been announced, but that business with the ESA supporting SOPA makes me want to avoid giving them attention or revenue. I don't have a problem with other people here watching and discussing it, but for personal reasons I might stay out of E3-related stuff on this one.

Posted

I'm down for a podcast. If at least 3 other people commit to it this could be a real thing.

if im not in japan or otherwise dying........someone text or call or whatever me to get me in on this. i missed the last TWO.

also, im not that great of a gamer, so the most i could offer is lets plays (which i would need to learn to record for) or "chimetals plays a game for the first time that everyone else has played already". like OoT. or any console zelda game.

Posted

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0