Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past General

15 posts in this topic

Posted

Should I play it?

Posted

Without a doubt. It's my favourite Zelda game by far and you won't regret getting into the older Zelda games, assuming you've only played more recent ones.

Posted

Yes, I agree with Ammonsa. ALttP is the most classic game of the series, in my opinion. I've played it a few times through before and yeah, it's straightforward, but it has a enough of old and new to make it a truly fantastic game. Also, played it on GBA.

Posted

I love this game. I have almost completed it. It was the first ever Zelda game I played and it was the game that got me back into the Zelda series.

Posted

It's amazing, but I hate it. I first played it when I was 6 or 7, and i couldn't even figure out how to beat the first temple. Bad memories... tried to replay it when I was around 12, same problem. But at least I made it halfway through the Dark World.(with the help of various online walkthroughs.)

I tried to replay it again, when I was 14. Stuck on Turtle Rock... Never been so frustrated with a game before. I think it's because it's older, so it's a lot harder and less forgiving. I mean, I love everything about it, but I hate how they did the temples. You spend 30+ minutes wasting magic trying to go through the dark-fire-rail-maze, only to find out you can't proceed without a lot more magic. Restart... get a magic potion.(by replacing your fourth fairy) Repeat. Okay, you have lots of magic, you're at the boss. Bam, one hit and you lose half your hearts. Oh crap, I'm screwed. Take out one head. Another hit. Ope, there's a fairy gone. Eight hearts? Wtf man!? Another head destroyed, initiate indestructible boss rage mode. Hit, dead. Another fairy. Run in circles screaming because you have no more magic and you're helpless. Bam, another hit, another death. Last eight hearts... what do I do? Nothing, he's in rage mode. You just die again. Well crap... time to wait two more years to play it again.

Actually that's what I'll do tonight. Haven't powered up the Wii since I beat Skyward Sword...

It's a great game, don't get me wrong. I like it, and I actually will play it again.

7/10 for beautiful graphics and astoundingly fluid gameplay. -3 points for bad memories and horrible starting locations. Also, Turtle Rock.

Posted

You went through all your hearts and 3 fairies in A Link to the Past? HOW?

Which boss did you have trouble on?

Posted

post-4076-0-38199200-1344364719_thumb.jp

I have a lot of trouble with this guy.

Posted

post-4076-0-38199200-1344364719_thumb.jp

I have a lot of trouble with this guy.

Ah, Trinexx. . . One of my favorite bosses, actually. Blue potion was a lifesaver for me here.

Posted

giantearth (IRL friend of mine that's on IRC occasionally) and I are playing ALttP on the Virtual Console right now. His idea. He likes to watch me suffer through this game because before you start getting the sword/armor/shield upgrades your life is absolute shit and the game is difficult as anything. Hrrrrng

We just beat Thieves' Town, soon to the Ice Palace....least favorite thing ever. I don't want to know how many deaths I've already racked up.

Treemotan likes this

Posted

Ah, blue potions... I'll try that next time. I usually forget about those wonderful items because I've only been playing the more recent Zeldas lately.

Posted

But blue potions are a fairly common item in modern Zeldas, aren't they?

Posted

Next to Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess, A Link to the Past is on my to do list to play and complete. Hopefully I can get around to this soon as I've been dying to play it again :(

Posted

This game means a lot to me. I played it for the first time in 2008 with my cousin on a SNES emulator. We were playing through some SNES games (ALttP, Chrono Trigger, Donkey Kong Country and Kirby Super Star). It was hard but I was amazed. The graphics were impressive... For a SNES. This game is on my top 5 Zelda list, it's number 4. But that changes every day....

I find it amusing that some names are very different in the japanese and american version of the game. The Fairy's name in the american version is quite funny too.