Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

101 SNES Games (The White List)

42 posts in this topic

Posted

Lately, I've been buying Super Nintendo games online. Reconnecting with my youth, in some sense. It's a lot of fun, although generally I find myself grumbling about having given up games I had, only to pay a lot more for them now.

Anyway, it's quickly becoming a serious endeavor. One that, practically, I need to put a cap on. I don't want to collect every single SNES game there's been -- a lot of them are trash, and a lot more don't interest me much. I don't need or want every iteration of Madden.

Physically, I've got a good idea. It involves universal plastic cases for games. They're very simple, very cheap, and they fit a print-out insert. In total, they make shelving look very nice and very clean (especially when you standardize the labels). Since most SNES games have lost their original box along the way, this is a good method of standardization.

101_0033.jpg

These aren't mine, just an example from the Googs.

The cheapest and best way to get these cases is to order them in bulk. One box of cases is 100 cases. I'm only going to order the one box. Aside from that, I've already got a single case, so my total will be 101.

This is going to be my physical limit, and here's where you guys come in. You've got good opinions about games, and I'd like you to help me out. I want to compile a list of the 101 Super Nintendo games that are worth owning, and I'd like you guys to help me figure it out.

How does this work? First and foremost: if it makes the White List, I have to own it in cartridge form. Don't be afraid to suggest any game that's rare, pricey, or not released in North America. If need be (and need will likely be) I'll invest in a PAL SNES or an SFC, or (better yet) I'll buy (or even make) a reproduction cartridge of that game in NTSC. This isn't about collecting as much as it's about cases that need to be filled, and as such the only standard here is that the games are Super Nintendo games. If I need to learn how to program EPROM, if I need to spend 5000 dollars, if I need track a single cartridge to a back alley black market in Turkey, I will do so.

Please help me out by suggesting a game or two at a time. We'll all argue if it deserves a spot. Please don't make posts such as "here's my own list of 101 games" -- this is a collaborative process. On the other extreme, I'm going to try not to veto suggestions offhand. Please give me a great argument about a game I've never played, and I'll happily add it to the list.

Even when the list is full, it's not finalized until I own every game on it, and even then I'll happily sell any game we decide doesn't belong after all. If you don't like the 101 that we've reached, keep making arguments until I see it your way. When I have a copy of a game on the list, I'll take a picture and post it in the thread, and if I have an interesting story to tell about my adventure getting the game, you'll hear it.

The White List

1. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

2. Earthbound

3. Chrono Trigger

4. Super Punch-Out!!

5. Killer Instinct

6. Super Metroid

Suggest a game!

Posted

Super Punch Out!!

Killer Instinct

Yoshi's Island

There's probably more. I'll suggest more once I get a look at my SNES collection

Posted

I can accept Yoshi's Island no problem, that sounds good to me.

You'll have to convince me on the other two. Aren't there better fighting games on the SNES? Street Fighter II Turbo, or the ridiculous Primal Rage? Did Super Punch Out improve on the NES experience?

Posted

Earthbound? Sure, let's do it.

I had Earthworm Jim as a kid, played a lot of it. The sequel was great fun as well, although I only rented it a couple times. I'm not sure I want either of them in the 101.

Posted

I'm looking for anything if you make the right argument for it.

I've played Goof Troop, it's fun although a bit short. Haven't done more than try SGNG.

Posted

Alright, in no particular order, here are 50 of the best Super Nintendo games. I was pretty generous too. You may find some other gems that I missed, but this is about it for the "good" games.

1. Chrono Trigger

2. Super Metroid

3. A Link to the Past

4. Earthbound

5. Super Mario All-Stars (with Super Mario World)

6. ActRaiser

7. Breath of Fire

8. Breath of Fire II

9. Super Castlevania IV

10. Donkey Kong Country

11. Donkey Kong Country II

12. Donkey Kong Country III

13. Doom

14. F Zero

15. Final Fantasy II (IV)

16. Final Fantasy III (VI)

17. Final Fight

18. Gradius III

19. Harvest Moon

20. Illusion of Gaia

21. Killer Instinct

22. Kirby Super Star

23. Kirby's Dream Land 3

24. Megaman X

25. Megaman X2

26. Megaman X3

27. Mortal Kombat

28. NBA Jam

29. Ogre Battle

30. Pilotwings

31. Secret of Mana

32. Secret of Evermore

33. Shadowrun

34. SimCity

35. Star fox

36. Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting

37. Super Mario Kart

38. Super Mario RPG

39. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

40. Super Punch-Out!

41. Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

42. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time

43. Tiny Toons Adventures: Buster Busts Loose

44. Toy Story

45. U.N. Squadron

46. Wing Commander

47. Wolfenstein 3D

48. Worms

49. Ys III

50. Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Posted

So Chase just suggested every single thing I said and yeah.

Nevermind.

Posted

Yeah, mostly in alphabetical. I was scrolling through a list and everytime I thought of a good one I would insert it.

I can vouch for having personally played and enjoyed the majority of those. If I haven't played it, I've watched someone play it.

Posted

Oh my god yes Mario Paint. You'll need the SNES mouse to play it though. Make music, animate, or simply take a break and swat some flies! A childhood favorite that I still play from time to time.

Also Zombies Ate My Neighbors is really great. Awesome variety of weapons and insanely challenging.

Killer Instinct is, in my opinion, better than Mortal Kombat. The character designs have more variety and the music is pretty awesome. No idea why they haven't made more KI games...

Super Punch Out is a game that I can still just pick up and play and enjoy it every bit as much as the last time I played it. Fast paced, awesome gameplay. To this day it holds two of my greatest moments in gaming: The first time I beat Bald Bull (when I was 4) and the first time I completed the Super Circuit (about 4 months ago). This is a game that will test your reflexes and your mind.

Those good enough arguments?

Posted

@Chase, I think you missed the part where I said not to post a list of games. I can certainly agree with the first entry on your list.

@Muff, do post as I definitely need your judgment. For example, do either of the SMTs have decent translations?

I've added Super Punch Out and Killer Instinct. You've convinced me on the first for sure.

I think I'll try the other two and offer my opinions.

Anybody else endorse Killer Instinct?

Posted

You're going to end up adding most (if not all) of them anyway. I wouldn't have put them on the list if they were bad.

Anyway, Super Nintendo games that I own (the cart):

Super Metroid

A Link to the Past

Super Mario All-Stars (with Super Mario World)

Donkey Kong Country

Super Castlevania IV

Final Fantasy III

Illusion of Gaia

Megaman X

Star Fox

Super Mario Kart

Super Mario RPG

Super Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back

TMNT IV: Turtles in Time

All of those I can personally vouch are amazing games and should be included in any Super Nintendo collection.

Posted

Megaman X is good. Here's my argument why:

Posted

You're going to end up adding most (if not all) of them anyway. I wouldn't have put them on the list if they were bad.

That's cool. But totally defeats the purpose of the thread, which is a collaborative project.

Super Metroid is good stuff. Have you played any of the better hacks of it? There are some great ones, Super Metroid Redesign for example.

Megaman X is of course great. Is there value in owning all three, Shrub, do you think? X3 is my favourite, I'd say.

Posted

Polestar, Magical Pop'n

Whirlo/Xandra no Daibouken

Wild Guns

I believe the first two were Japon exclusive or never released in America.

Posted

Let's see:

Sunset Riders

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3: Turtles in Time

Terminator 2 Arcade