Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

101 SNES Games (The White List)

42 posts in this topic

Posted

Just got a copy of Earthbound.

Posted

- Does anyone disagree with my thoughts on Chrono Trigger? For example, in 101 games, is there enough room for it in lieu of what you think are better games that would make better use of the room?

- Do sequels merit full inclusion of the series, i.e. Mega Man X, Donkey Kong Country?

- Should the 101 include any sports games? I've heard NHL 94 is well-loved.

I can't agree or disagree on Chrono Trigger other than what I've gathered about the game from so many other people praising it. It's probably a keeper.

I think including all the sequels to a series should only happen if the sequels are actually as good or better or just enjoyable in general compared to the original. Like from your stream, I've seen that the sequels of Donkey Kong get better and better as they went along. That's my opinion.

Same opinion as my previous one, only include them as others are included if they're as enjoyable or better than the other games on the list.

Posted

MUff, are the translations of SMT1 and 2 any good? Are the games?

Posted

I don't know. I don't know.

Posted

Hoo man Chrono Trigger. I played the DS remake, and that's up there as one of my favorite RPGs. The battle system is really neat because it keeps you on your toes while still letting you kinda plan out moves as you would in turn-based gameplay. Also, even though some parts are pretty challenging, I never had to go out of my way to grind for experience in that game, which is pretty big. Basically, if you don't already have it, then why not?!??!???!?!

If you want to go pretty hardcore into collecting here, apparently there was a Japan-only visual novel side story released for the Satellaview add-on called

Radical Dreamers: Nusumenai Hōseki

so maybe try to find that too, especially if you decide one game warrants the rest in the series (which I can't say I really agree with). I don't suppose anyone knows anything about it

(http://en.wikipedia....usumenai_Hōseki)

Posted

Radical Dreamers is good fun. It's actually non-canon. Chrono Cross on PSX is a very expanded reproduction of Radical Dreamers; RD shares 90% of its plot, and a lot of its music including the battle theme, and it's referenced many times. It has multiple endings like the other games, 7 scenarios with 12 endings. It's very enjoyable, whimsical, and definitely cool to own. I'd recommend that any fans of Chrono Trigger download it and check it out.

http://www.timewalkgames.com

As an example, this site does some very nice reproduction games, including boxes, posters and manuals. They're a bit pricey, but the cartridge labour and design and production account for that, as a lot goes into these.

Posted

Oh, I remember trying to play through Radical Dreamers, but I couldn't get it to run at the time. Maybe it's time to try again.

I highly recommend Super Metroid. For me, it's the best in the series, with a fair difficulty, wonderful atmosphere and kickass music. To this day I haven't managed to get the best ending (you have to beat the game in under three hours for that, and I suck at speedruns), but I have replayed it so many times for the fun of it, and in the hope of reaching that goal someday.

Word of advice: play it alone, and turn the lights way down.

なべ likes this

Posted

I keep meaning to play these games like super metroid but I never do because I'm always busy with something else, like I'm supposed to watch all this madoka now and shit

Posted

Thanks, guys. Really good input going on here. I agree, Super Metroid has such an engrossing atmosphere, and has to be a part of this collection.

Super Metroid added.

Has anyone (aside from Muff) seen or heard of Super Metroid Redesign? It's an extremely hard and rewarding hack of Super Metroid, everything's changed including the items and even the gameplay mechanics.

Posted

Adding to my earlier Earthbound post.

I had bought a copy of Earthbound on eBay. Then I saw a copy in a local store and said "aww", since I could've gotten it for a comparable price without waiting for shipping.

Yesterday, the eBay guy contacted me to say that he would need an extra 16 dollars for tracked shipping to Canada, and that if that was no good for me, we'd work out a refund since he wasn't comfortable sending it without tracking.

Today, I sent him a reply and went over to buy Earthbound from the other store. I'll get a pic up later if people are interested in that. Good looking cartridge, very little cosmetic damage to the label. With tax, $225. (Canadian)

Posted

Picked up a copy of Lufia. This is the dirtiest cartridge I've ever seen, physically. Looks like an old rental, it's covered in gummy brown adhesive and stained in a couple places. The adhesive looks like what's left of an anti-temper sticker.

The inside looks nearly spotless though. Just some dirt around the creases. The board looks as new, aside from the 1993 Nintendo stamp. It's a crisp, clear green. A little TLC and I expect this'll perform beautifully.

So yeah, I've forsaken this idea, since nobody seems to care. Instead, I'll just make a list and post about each game as I get them.

Posted

So yeah, I've forsaken this idea, since nobody seems to care.

I still care. Give me some time. I'm trying to compile some compelling reasons for each of the games I listed.