Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

High School Nostalgia Thread

8 posts in this topic

Posted

It's the end of the school year and the start of the summer! This time has been reminding me of high school a lot this year. Share your high school experience here. What did you love and hate about it? And if you are still in high school, what are your feelings for it?

Personally, I absolutely hated high school. I was expelled from my first high school about mid-way through my freshman year. It was a private, Catholic school. Then I went to the public high school near my house.

Socially, it was Hell. Looking back on it, I wouldn't say I deserved the drama I went through, but I totally made it worse than it should've been. I only still have two friends that I still regularly talk to from High School, but they are super close friends. I became friends with other kids I went to school with, but didn't really become close til after school ended. I went through a lot of shit, and I will admit that my sharp tongue played a part in it. It's not as though I said smart things, I just said things that sounded smart and were super condescending to my peers. I can honestly say I never, or at least super rarely, started the hostility, but boy did I escalate it haha.

What's really weird though, is that now that I'm outta school, I've become somewhat of a legend there. It'll die down in a year or two, but sophomore and juniors who I never met or even went to school with at the same time, apparently talk about me. And in a flattering manor! I'll met them around town or through friends and they'll say stuff like "Oh wow, you're Skyler? I've heard so much about you!" and it's never in a negative tone. I think I've become a hero to the awkward kids haha, i just wish I actually deserved it. I'm hanging out with some juniors (now seniors I guess) for the first time tomorrow.

So although high school sucked for me, I don't regret it at all. I made a lot of friends after it and because of it. I'm one of the few memorable students who is remembered for reasons other than being super high and squidding stuff up. I squided stuff up while being sober. Haha.

What are some high school stories from you guys?

Posted

That sucks LL. I really, really know that feel bro. :/

Is it cool for you guys to listen to music in school, or do you have to kinda hide it from the teachers? I listened like once or twice (had the ear buds running up my jacket sleeve and I would put my head on my hand, then put the ear buds in one of my ears. Usually whichever one wasn't facing the teachers desk.) until I got really paranoid that some of the teachers were catching onto the act.

As for school in general (I've only been in high school for a year now. Goingtobeasophomoreyay), it's pretty much (for me) sitting at the back of the classroom by myself while everyone around me is talking talking talking talking (generally having a good time). Then I just put my head down or continue having staring contests with my papers since I shut down from the rest of everyone else and just look forward to the bell.

If we were able to listen to music in class, that would be a big improvement to our working ability. Just take it out when we have to listen to the teacher and put it back in when we have to work on worksheets. At least be able to listen to it in the hallway, at lunch, and the free times before school (it's ok if we have it out after school at the buses.)

Posted

I liked high school until senior year, when I realized there was so much favoritism amongst the teachers that my grades were based more on my rank than my quality of work (nobody wanted to get the top two bad grades. It wouldn't reflect well) and all of my friends were lying, manipulative jerks that didn't care about themselves or me.

Since graduating, there are definitely some things that I miss. Overall, though, I'm much happier now that I've moved on.

Posted

Ah, high school.

Looking back, it is true what they say. They are some of the better years of your life, at least in my case. No worries about much in life compared to my life now. My biggest worry was not looking foolish in front of girls that caught my interest.

I guess marching band and hyrule.net made it the experience that it was. At the time, marching band was almost a family to me, and some of my best friends. Online, I met some awesome people on here as well. While I did have friends who got into the whole high school drama, as well as the unofficial ranking among peers in high school, I was lucky enough to avoid all that.

Now, college keeps me busy for the most part. I've got a few weeks of summer break left before I go back as a full-time student, which is why I'm sort of sticking around as long as I can here. =)

Posted

puppy that noise. With a rake or a cleaver or something. And not the handle end.

I'm moving to Marquette in less than a week.

Posted

I was in marching band for a year and it was awful. The only person I met there that was worth hanging around was Saha. Everyone else, jesus christ. puppy that noise.

Looking back, quitting the band meant I gave up my trumpet playing, which is really sad because I would have liked to keep playing the trumpet, but god damn, that place was just stupid.

Posted

To each, their own I guess. I've heard mixed feeling about marching band. Some love it, some don't. I personally loved it more for the people I met through it. As a bonus, I lost most of the extra pounds I had through junior high school, becoming the lean person I am today.

Posted

Looking back, quitting the band meant I gave up my trumpet playing, which is really sad because I would have liked to keep playing the trumpet, but god damn, that place was just stupid.

youre reminding me how i havent really been able to play violin since high school.

i tried once, last year. earthy, for all her constant singing and chatter about chorus, put on her headphones to drown me out :/ in my defense, though, she "doesnt like the high squealing of violins" and i was playing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mGcN2CMpwM.