Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Educational system in United States

13 posts in this topic

Posted

*cough cough*

Well, the pass-fail range in Georgia is 70 (minimal) to 100. But in Arizona, Florida, and Alabama (and many other states, I'm sure), it's 60 (minimal) to 100.

I failed 2 classes (Spanish with 69, which is close enough for a 1 point bump, and Math with a 67, because Math is Math ). If I simply lived somewhere else, I would be passing. Then they wonder why we're practically last place in educational rankings nationally (not that it's affected me personally. To others, I'm sure.) I'm now going through summer school to try and redeem my Math grade for a highest of 70. My Spanish is stuck failing, so I'll have to retake Spanish I, then take II the year after next, since I'll need 2 years of Spanish in order to go to college.

That's personally unfair. I could have a 67, and some other dude in another state could have a 67. But he could be passing and me failing, just because his passing range is bigger. This could possibly affect getting a job or career later on.

y doo dey do dis?

And does anyone have something similar in their schools/colleges?

(And I'm hopeless at Math. What is x divided by y in correlation to the radius of the sun and the amount of cookie's in Kevin's pocket on Tuesday night at 11:05 ES:T plus the radical wnoibgsodbgosnhglkscgwtfbbqsauce)

Posted

I'm 99% sure that no employer cares about your high school grades.

And quite frankly, I think the minimal passing grade should be 70 in all states, but each state has the right to manage it's own educational standards.

That being said, I live in Florida, which is one of the lowest ranked states in pretty much all things related to education. We need the higher standards.

Cirt likes this

Posted

the system has a part in the success of a student, but the motivation of a student has an even larger role

that being said, the pass-fail range, or whatever you named it, is relevant to the average scores of students, not what you yourself are capable of

I'm not the best at pointing out logical fallacies but this argument is rather flawed - "If I simply lived somewhere else, I would be passing"

I mean nevermind that curricula varies from state to state, as do grading methods, teaching methods, and the individuals goals between school/county/state education. you're assuming education across America is equal and universal, when it is extremely varied. therefore, your 67 or whatever in your class may translate to a 54 in another state's class that is assumed to be the same level as the class that you took. haven't you ever heard of kids moving from state to state and having to repeat grades because the curriculum is covered differently, or their grades don't translate? the same idea applies to AP testing - some schools will take your 3 on your AP biology exam and give you college credit to opt out of a course, some will make you take the class anyway since its not up to par with their "standard"

in short, education is somewhat centralized, but obviously there are flaws. I am sorry you feel that you are being squided over by the minor differences in it, but there are literally hundreds of factors that may give insight as to why you failed two classes.

I'd also like to point out that because you feel this way, you generalized in another thread that the entire state of Georgia has a bad educational system, when clearly I did not have the same experience as you. making blanket statements doesn't work, kiddo.

as for colleges, they do whatever they squid they want within reason

source: I'm studying education. in georgia. at the university of georgia. imagine that.

Posted

cirt shushup u no liv in gurja.

So they were a bit flawed. :L

there are literally hundreds of factors

Very punny. I failed Math because of those. :D (And polygomials. And other stuff. Because Math is practically useless after 7th-8th grade when they stop teaching the stuff that a normal human being could actually use in real life.)

Posted

Very punny. I failed Math because of those. :D (And polygomials. And other stuff. Because Math is practically useless after 7th-8th grade when they stop teaching the stuff that a normal human being could actually use in real life.)

as an engineer, im gonna have to call you out on this: differentiation and integration are insanely important for basic mechanics. vectors, as well. though some of the other stuff can still go have consensual intercourse with itself, those things really are needed for anyone even vaguely headed for a science field. and while you dont have to know the insanely detailed, specific things, it looks better when you can do more than just add, subtract, divide, and multiply. not to mention, geometry and the like is used for construction.

Posted

:L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L :L

I have the feeling I'm stupid now. :L (Math wise.)

Posted

as an engineer, im gonna have to call you out on this: differentiation and integration are insanely important for basic mechanics. vectors, as well. though some of the other stuff can still go have consensual intercourse with itself, those things really are needed for anyone even vaguely headed for a science field. and while you dont have to know the insanely detailed, specific things, it looks better when you can do more than just add, subtract, divide, and multiply. not to mention, geometry and the like is used for construction.

This is absolutely true. The laws of the natural world can best be explained in terms of Calculus, which is why all high-level Physics classes are calculus-based.

My high school here in Texas was...interesting. It was really good in all of the non-math, non-physics areas, and had I majored in anything other than engineering, I probably would have been more than prepared for college. As it stands, however, I feel like high school failed to adequately teach me math or science, and I'm somewhat mad about that.

Posted

My main complaint on my high school experience is that it never taught me real-life lessons. I'm not talking about how to ask a girl out, or anything like that. I would like to know how to negotiate when buying a new car, or do my taxes. There's more to the list, of course, but this is just an example.

Posted

Our schools actually teach us that kind of stuff here though.

Posted

Really? I'm kind of jealous right about now.

As far as I know, we only learn the general ed math, english, history, etc. Of course, there is additional courses like art and such, but no real-life aid classes.

Posted

My main complaint on my high school experience is that it never taught me real-life lessons. I'm not talking about how to ask a girl out, or anything like that. I would like to know how to negotiate when buying a new car, or do my taxes. There's more to the list, of course, but this is just an example.

my high school didnt teach me anything like this either. the most we got was how to write a resume (imo, something that everyone explains vaguely, and differently in each place you ask) and mock interviews. things like insurance, taxes, cars, houses, whatever, have not been taught to me, and my college seems to be going down the same path.

i need to go check my college for LIFE 101. its got to be there somewhere.

Posted

Yeah I can't speak for all the schools around here, I go to a snooty private one so it may be different, but every two weeks we have a program for an hour or so where we learn useful stuff that we can apply in real life. Besides that, in the earlier years of highschool here, and depending on the level of maths you do later, there's typically a unit on consumer arithmetic and how it's applied in real life.

Posted

Ah, well I can't speak on behalf of private schools here. I'm too broke for those, and go to public schools. :P