Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Most original Book you've ever read

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I was talking to a co-worker over lunch and she mentioned a book she was reading called "Fragment" about an isolated island where creatures evolved like none on Earth. I told her I liked the book, but it was better when it was called Jurassic Park. It got me to thinking how there are very few truly original books out there. You'd be hard pressed to find a book that has an original plot.

I thought long and hard about which book I read that was Original and came up with two, "Starship Troopers" by Robert Henlein and "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams.

What about you?

Teto likes this

Posted

I told her I liked the book, but it was better when it was called Jurassic Park.

I have no real input, but this is hilarious and you should be proud of your sense of humour.

I would say The Tatami Galaxy is pretty original, and it comes from a book. But in a way it's pretty much just Groundhog Day with some differences.

Posted

That book doesn't sound very much like Jurassic Park to me.

Posted

I don't think I've ever read anything quite like Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

enders-game.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1319213857622

Posted

Definitely read everything within the Enderverse. It's well worth the time.

As far as originality goes, House of Leaves is delightful.

Lev Grossman's The Magicians is absolutely breathtaking, as are the books that follow.

I won't tell you my favorite book in terms of originality, because it's one you are supposed to find, and not be told about, I feel. Perhaps I'm just selfish.

Posted

Most of the stuff from Terry Pratchet is good. I've yet to see anything similar to his books, particularly Color of Magic.

Patrick McManus just writes about funny/interesting times he's had. Whether they're fictional or not, I can't tell. But his books are hilarious. I literally choked on a hotdog from laughing so hard. (Life Pro-tip: Don't read/watch anything funny while eating.)

Johnathan Stroud's Bartimaeus series is pretty original. It's also got some great humor in it. (Luckily I already learned not read funny stuff while eating. I might have died.)

Posted

the bible HA HA HA it was translated so it's not original

there was a joke in there face it