Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 review

20 posts in this topic

Posted

33Mza.jpg

What are we doing with our lives?

Posted

This is literally one of the best pictures ever. The feelings you are all expressing are so truthful and deserving of the game that it couldn't get any better.

Sahaqiel and Jareddude like this

Posted

Sometimes while a sonic level was on I would sing City Escape in slow motion.

The only thing, literally the only thing I enjoyed about this game was that shadow was a chill guy. As in, not an angsty pile of shit. Granted, he should have stayed dead at the end of SA2B and been done with it, but seeing how they insist on bringing him back for everything, then okay, might as well treat him like they did in this game. Sans the stupid "Gun Operative" stuff.

Other than that I can think of several times I would have really, really wanted this to have been a lets play.

Jareddude likes this

Posted

G-U-N Operative

But yeah, I pretty much found that most of the plot can be explained and summarized as "For some reason...". The gameplay was draining and an awful chore. And pretty much everything in the game could be described as "underwhelming".

Underwhelming. It just washed over us in tumultuous waves that threatened nothing less than total destruction of all hope we had for the game getting any better.

We bought this game used in an unmarked used box at a game trade in store. The disc didn't have a scratch on it. It was never cared for, and it never will be. It's kind of sad that this disc had the disgrace of having such an awful game printed on it. That it was born as an abomination. But that's just life goes I guess.

One of the XBL achievements' descriptions was:

"Super Sonic Obtain the all moves"

GAME OF THE YEAR

Sahaqiel

Posted

The fastest character in the game by a long shot was Blaze, the squidding OC character. The 5 min you get to play as her were the closest to an actual sonic game the entire experience got

Posted

This sums up my experience with this game perfectly.

Posted

T1g is gonna love you when he sees that post

Posted

yeah pretty much

Posted

All three of you look soooo woobie in that picture lol. poor things :c

dat test of love though, best part

Posted

i kind of dont get it yet but my brother and sister keep teling me i dont want to

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

and right now im trying to rack my brain for what that game was at all. look at me being a sonic fan. oh wait.

that picture is priceless, though.

Posted

You know what's better than Sonic '06?

Teto and pheonix561 like this

Posted

pheo, T1g, and I constantly bring up SA2/B's merits and where it succeeds in much vaster quantities than all the modern Sonic games other than Colors and Generations. After SA2/B it kept going downhill.

Linox likes this

Posted

SA2B was the best Sonic game, imo. If they took out the Tails/Eggman stages and replaced them with more Sonic/Shadow stages, it would be even better.

The Chao Garden totally makes the game, though.

T1g, pheonix561, Teto and 1 other like this

Posted

Tails and Eggman were actually pretty alright. The targeting wasn't clunky and slow (like Sonic 2006's) and it provided an interesting way to have Tails have his own levels and set up somewhat of a rivalry between him and Eggman. Because dummy ring bombs are awful.

But yes. The Chao Garden is something the Sonic Team has been neglectig stupidly for ages.

My theory is that they're waiting for their lowest point. The point at which all hope is lost for their next Sonic title for ever getting any sales, and they're on the verge of becoming bankrupt. Then they will bring back SA2/B's gameplay and story elements (ie - not completely stupid) and the Chao Garden. Sonic will then have been saved from the depths of the deepest trench in the ocean.

You know, Sonic 2006 actually kind of made me feel out of place, with all the humans and stuff you talked to. It became painfully obvious that I was playing cartoon animals with silly character designs when they tried to make the characters serious about stupid stuff like the "Iblis Trigger" and Sonic's godawful romance with Elise. It's really jarring when your characters feel dumb and out of place in their own universe.

I actually thought Eggman's design was really interesting and sinister. I thought maybe, that if this were a better game, it would be acceptable. Perhaps Eggman would do actually sinister things and become an actually intimidating madman like his grandfather was. (And his grandfather is probably my favorite Sonic character to date) But nope. Just kidnapping and stuff. It's weird how Elise was willing to try to commit suicide rather than be Eggman's prisoner again. It didn't make any sense to me, because she lived a pretty leisurely prisoner life. To the point at which she could actually just escape by opening an unlocked door without any security. Then it clicked.

When she's onboard the ship out of camera view, her perception is trapped inside the Sonic '06 loading screen.

Sahaqiel