Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Detective Comics Comics (Also known as "That Crap")

193 posts in this topic

Posted

No, it's aired on The Hub. Because it's owned by it.

Although in Britain it's on Boomerang according to a friend from a pony website

Posted

The new poster for "Man of Steel" was released yesterday. It has Superman wearing handcuffs surrounded by what appeqrs to be armed troops. If I could post pics I would becquse it's very cool. It reminds me of the new "Superman Earth One" comics where the Military isn't to keen on a Man with seemingly God Like power calling himself Superman.

Posted

DC Nation is returning to Cartoon Network January 5th after an unexpected hiatus a few months ago. In the promo they show scenes from new episodes of Young Justice and Green Lantern and it seems that DC character Static (Virgil Hawkens) will be joining Young Justice.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

RIP Mcduffie

Posted

tumblr_mga211qUYq1s07697o1_400.jpg

Posted

What could be in this box? A pocket universe? A suit of Kryptonian Armor? Jimmy Hoffa?

No.

Whats in the box is further proof of the stifling editorial plaguing DC at the moment. Leading up to the upcoming creative summit Bleeding Cool offered to anonymously host complaints from the creators over at DC and much of them is aimed at the editorial, confirming what many other stories have said prior. These editorial problems are aparrantly the fuel that caused George Perez, Rob Liefeld (though I suspect he was a tcking time bomb anyways), and very briefly Gail Simone to leave the company. Apparantly there were several Last minute demands to rewrite stories causing quite a bit of stress on the writers and especially the artists.

Full story here.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/02/08/suggestion-box-results/

Its interesting that Dan Didio still appears to be a force of obstruction in the company. As of late it had seemed he had less power than before, but unfortunately, the man behind the massive Clusterpuppy known as Countdown to Final crisis is apparantly still enough of a thorn in the side of  writers that they still complain about him.

post-16262-0-89786100-1360427413_thumb.j

Posted (edited)

About 2015's Justice League movie: The Justice League movie has already have at least one scrapped script and things weren't looking very bright for this movie. Despite this year's release of Man of Steel (which had gotten great feedback from test screenings), the future of the Justice League movie seemed very bleak. I know that I couldn't help but think that it would be an uninspired and thrown together attempt to compete with The Avengers. Another glaring thing that was telling me that this movie is going to be a failure is the idea that The Dark Knight franchise seemed to be a standalone series. The end of The Dark Knight Rises revealed that Bruce Wayne gave away his fortune and apparently retired as Batman. That's not how you keep a franchise going, and that's fine, I guess. The ending was acceptable for a standalone Batman series. But its continuity within a larger DC cinematic universe mean that the Justice League movie would already be getting off on a terrible foot. There's none of Bruce Wayne's wealth or resources and maybe not even a Bruce Wayne.

It's fine that the Justice League movie was going to suck, I already accepted it. BUT According to Latino Review, which has been very reliable in the past, Christopher Nolan has been made the producer of the 2015 Justice League movie. And ALSO, Christian Bale, who had stated that he wasn't against playing Batman again if Christopher Nolan had a story, is rumored to return as Batman in the Justice League movie. This was obviously brought on by the bleak future of the movie. In my opinion, this totally would bring a lot of life to the movie, which I only recently begun to care about. In fact, it was this news that made me realize that I cared in the first place about this movie. So I suppose that their plan worked, seeing as how I am pretty excited about this. Again, though, Christian Bale has not officially said that he was going to be in the Justice League movie, this is only going off of what he said in the past. It's just a thing to be excited about and there is still time to have a Christian Bale cameo in the Man of Steel after the credits. The Justice League movie may be watchable after all.

Christian-Bale-with-Batma-008.jpg

Edited by ∟ ∟ (see edit history)

Posted

God, that wouldn't even make sense if the justice league took place in the same universe as the dark knight trilogy. I cannot wrap my mind around that somehow fitting.

Posted

I think that with a few years in between the  Dark Knight  trilogy and the Justice League, it could be done. (So you become fuzzy on the Dark Kni ght trilogy.) I mean, if anyone could link the two things together then it would be the director of the trilogy, right? If I somehow was witnessing a good Justice League movie unfolding before my eyes and Christian Bale was Batman, then I would tell myself whatever I needed to hear to make myself believe/accept it. I think I prefer ridiculous retconnings and stupid explanations more than when a character's actor is replaced. Even if Christian Bale is Batman simply to drum up hype about the Justice League, I can accept that. It's not the ideal situation, but whatever. The tone of Iron Man doesn't match the tone of The Avengers. The aliens thing seems like a stretch, as did the entire Thor and Loki thing. But it worked because the movie didn't ask those questions. It was bold about what it was presenting (I don't think anyone even commented on the aliens? And there wasn't even any apparent consequences of an alien invasion?). So I think that if Batman and Superman met in some kind of post-credits scene in Man of Steel, I would probably be too hyped to be like, "wait, what". I wouldn't ask questions really. And then in a few years when Justice League comes out, I think that I would forgive any inconsistencies with their universe and just enjoy the movie. Or if it sucks, I'd strike it from my memory totally and never talk about it again.

Posted

Gotcha. I guess that's a fair approach, but I'm still skeptical. Is Man of Steel going to be a trilogy?

Posted

I'd rather they recast it. Most of the things I want to see from a cinematic dc universe would be way out of place with the nolanverse. As much as I love it, I think they should let it be.

Posted (edited)

Gotcha. I guess that's a fair approach, but I'm still skeptical. Is Man of Steel going to be a trilogy?

I don't know if it's going to be a trilogy, but if a good Man of Steel franchise could get off the ground, then I am sure that they'd keep making movies. It's a given that another Man of Steel movie is going to be made. The movie coming out this year with feature General Zod as the main villain. So that sets the stage for Lex Luthor and Brainiac and whoever else to get the sequels. I had posted an observation once in some thread that the new Superhero movie trend starts with an original story and a adequate, if not underwhelming, villain. Then the sequel will be in full swing of the character's story and their big, famous, arch-villain will be introduced. The goal is to stretch the franchise out for as long as possible. I am not sure how I feel about this trend, if it even is a trend. I prefer for a cool superhero franchise to put a good foot forward with a good antagonist, but not to introduce and then kill the arch-villain in the first movie (Tim Burton's Batman and Sam Raimi's Spider-Man). And if these older generation of superhero movies don't kill the main villain in the first movie, they find the most ridiculous ways of bringing the villain back into the spotlight (pretty much every Superman movie).

But yeah, this trend of keeping their best material/villains/stories for later can make a lot of money and seems to have more respect for the actual respective properties. This applies to the Amazing Spider-Man (pretty sure they're going to introduce the Green Goblin or something) and The Dark Knight trilogy. I like how these movies played out in terms of continuity.  However, I had said once that with Amazing Spider-Man 2's introduction of Electro (and not a more well-known villain) the franchise may actually be "building up" the villains at too slow of a rate. Spider-Man has a lot of good villains, and a handful of them could be tied for his arch-villain, depending on who you ask. The Amazing Spider-Man series is starting to give the impression that Sony is aiming to make more than a few movies, based on this slow rate of good villain introduction.

But all tangents aside, the trend of respectfully and gradually building up a superhero franchise is good in my opinion. I prefer this trend/method over Marvel's method of systemically churning out obligatory movies (the Thor movie as a whole and the overly long Hawkeye introduction scene specifically and Iron Man 2 as a whole and the awkward and corny Nick Fury and Black Widow setting-of-the-stage) to bring their big cash cow Avengers to harvest. (I say Marvel and not Disney because if I recall correctly, the new MCU had been established just after Captain America and Thor had been released, but before The Avengers, I think?) The dime-a-dozen approach is going to burn audiences out sooner or later, in my opinion. Is anyone besides hardcore fans going to care when Iron Man 5, Thor 4, Captain America 4 all come out in the same summer? I ranted, sorry.

@Necropolis:

That was their original plan. They had approached Ben Affleck to play Batman (and direct) the Justice League movie. It was the scrapped script, I think, that led them to want a recognizable and valuable actor. In my opinion, I can swallow the idea that the Nolanverse and the Justice League movie are related easier than I can put up with a new Batman. It may seem like I am contradicting my above opinions, but I just really, really dislike replacing actors in a series/franchise. Haha.

Edited by ∟ ∟ (see edit history)

Posted

I can get that. almost like they were starting over. It would be cool if maybe they were doing a thematic tie in? Like the nolan movies didn't happen but this is batman. All Batmen. What I had heard though is the first justice league movie will be based on the first story arc in the new 52 comic, which is an apokoliptian invasion. Could be cool. If they go aheqd with their 2015 release date then we get Darkseid and Thanos in one movie going season. So much despair.