Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Detective Comics Comics (Also known as "That Crap")

193 posts in this topic

Posted

What's most interesting about Darkseid, I think, is the scope of the things he does, and his eloquence in doing it. I think he has a current origin story written in the new 52, but it doesn't matter. New origin stuff for fourth world characters never sticks.

Gonna post some examples of good darkseid stuff. Theres also the DC animated Darkseid. Also very good.

Darkseid-4.jpg

3634532-2757082-tumblr_mc4nwkok3l1qhwhzz

darkness7.jpg

Okay, so, an important aspect to understand about the New Gods is that they are sort of like memetic entities. They change over time according to their natures. So in the first picture, which is from original Kirby New Gods, Darkseid is an intergalactic despot, who seeks to find the anti life equation. In one comic he says he does this so that he can remake the universe and his image, and look upon it so he might finally know fear.

Then in the next on he succeeds. He gets the anti life equation, and is in the process of expanding his rule from earth. But he's a bit different from there. At some point he has taken on the nature of his name, he isn't just a Demon that rules apokalips, he is a god of evil.

Thanos and Darkseid are both very interesting, but for mostly different reasons. Thanos has comparatively simple desires, and a comparatively simple origin. Thanos was born and events transpired that made him into Thanos the Mad Titan

Darkseid is. His motivations are as meaningless as the motivation of a hurricane that wipes out a city, or a comet that crashes into a planet.

LLmao ?✊? and PrimaGaga like this

Posted

Hm, okay thanks. I still think Thanos is a bit more interesting. He's the Mad Titan but the question of if sanity (Madness) is up for interpretation and debate. But yeah, I can totally see Darkseid's appeal now. As a force of nature personified. That's pretty cool. I know they are DC/Marvel counterparts, as so many characters are, but now that i know a bit more of Darkseid, the two of them really arent that similar, i mean, beyond the whole "Cosmic Mega Villain" thing.

Posted

Mhm. Their appearance and status as final boss's of their respective universes are the most similar. Its interesting, Thanos originally had a thing going that made him very similar to Metron, a completely different new god. He had a super chair that he got around on, which he may or may not still own, haven't read much of his stuff since he came back from the dead. Then Jim Starlin's editor said "If you're going to rip off the new gods you might as well rip off the best one!" So Starlin sort of drove the character in a different direction. More Darkseid-y. Then eventually he would come into his own with the infinity books, which are quite good if you haven't read them.

Posted

But who would win tho...

Posted

Anti Monitor

Posted

Dwayne "the rock" Johnson is confirmed to play Black Adam in upcoming Shazam movie (that apparently isn't in the same universe as Man of Steel and Justice League?) I think The Rock cheapens movies that he's in for some reason. It's hard for me to respect movies that he's in, but I can't deny that he will probably look perfect for the role.

Posted

I think its supposed to be in the same universe. I haven't heard anything to the contrary. He's got the perfect look, the question is, does he have the rest. Modern Black Adam is closer to an Anti Hero, or an Anti Villain depending on the story, with his past "Bwahahaha" bank robbing villainy being a result of his host, Theo Adam. He believes in Justice and good, and will do absolutely reprehensible things to defend them. Theres a storyline where he goes to his home nation of Kahndaq, liberates it from its abusive regime, and becomes a benevolent dictator. He gets his own Marvel family, a wife, who becomes Isis, and his wife's little brother who becomes Osiris. They even have a talking Crocodile man like Talky Tawny. Basically some bullshit perpetrated by Amanda Waller and several villain groups tears it all down kills his family, puts his country in disarray. So he goes on a kill crazy rampage of revenge. He annihilates the neighboring country, killing millions. This whole event was called World war 3. The World vs. Black Adam. So, needless to say, i'm a fan. I hope the rock does him justice. I think he will. The rock's problem isn't his acting, its the scripts he chooses. And he finally gets to play a villain, which is what he was most of the time in wrestling.

Posted (edited)

He's wanted to play Black Adam for a while now. Previous plans to play him didn't work out.

Also, yeah, they said he'd be more of an antihero. I will find the source when I'm not on my phone. I heard that Shazam won't be in Justice League and that it will have a lighter tone than the rest of the DC movies. Also, it was said that the official stance was to not treat DC characters as a joke or comic relief. I'll find the links to these statements.

I think comedy has a place in future DC movies, though. I would like to see a Flash movie where the lesser villains are somewhat comical and easily defeated.

Edited by L.L. Bean's Menswear (see edit history)

Posted

Theres usually an element of humor to the rogues, that's one of the cool things about them

Posted

I watched the Gotham pilot. It was better than I expected I guess but still corny in some places. I'm at least glad that it has its own aesthetic. Prob watch a few more episodes at some point. 

Posted

Yeah, it wasn't bad. Still worried its gonna have the same problem Smallville had

LLmao ?✊? likes this

Posted

If "Ivy Pepper" wasn't in the episode I would have liked it more. I'm glad they went right into the story. Like Gordon is new, yeah, but he's not walking into this for the first time. Alfred was so mean, but that could be cool. His voice makes him seem like gruff and sketchy.

I hope they make Killer Croc the obviously human black guy. I like that interpretation a lot. I think it's from the "Joker" book.

Posted

Episode 2: Alfred is scary :<

They're probably developing him that way so he can have a heartfelt moment later on but he's intense as puppy.

Also the music is good. 

Posted (edited)

This may be me just talking to myself about Gotham, but the sneak peak for the third episode was shown. 

Zsasz might be cool. He looked kinda corny. Scarecrow is like my favorite Batman villain. I would have liked to see him being sane and just a doctor/professor. He's like full evil, as far as the 5 seconds of him reveal. I would have preferred the slow build up to Crane becoming more and more sadistic. I haven't seen it yet so I can't say.

Things look like they're picking up at any rate

Edited by L.L. Bean's Menswear (see edit history)

Posted

I'm just slowpoking is all. I saw it. Was pretty good. Looking forward to the upper management of Gotham PD getting theirs, a lot of them are really despicable.

You know what I'd like to see? An adaptation of Lon Halloween in a later season. Of course Batman probably won't be in it unless there's a major time skip, but I think it would be perfect in a show like this that follows mainly the organized crime aspect of Gotham. Somebody going around capping members of Falcone's mob would be really interesting.

LLmao ?✊? likes this