Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Detective Comics Comics (Also known as "That Crap")

193 posts in this topic

Posted

oh cool

Posted

I mentioned this but my DC knowledge is limited to DC deckbuilder. Of Which Cyborg is one of the heroes you can play as. Apparently all the teen titans graduate to regular DC super hero adults eventually

Also what is with the dubstep remix of Seven Nation army that plays during the first trailer [Of Suicide Squad]. I can recognize that bass anywhere

Posted

i don't remember you liking the white stripes t1gmeister

Posted

I am just a big fan of Seven Nation Army ever since i heard it when Grifball was first introduced lol

Posted

Apparently Warner brothers and DC are planning to give Green Lantern another try after the regrettable film a few years back. However instead of centering it on Alan Scott, Hal Jordon or Kyle Rayner the decision has been made to showcase John Stewart presumably in a similar mindset that was the reason for his inclusion in the Animated Justice League series, to add some diversity to the team. I like this idea, I was never a big Jordan fan (I liked the comical nature of Rayner better) and liked Phil LaMarr's portrayal of him in the series.

55_JohnStewart.jpg

SilverAlchemic likes this

Posted

They didn't do it because of Diversity, they did it because they were all dead in the comics save for John and Kyle. Kyle wasn't very popular, so they went with John Stewart. This was most people's first exposure to Green Lantern, so most people thought he was the first going into the 2011 movie. Natural progression for a reboot of a shitty movie.

Posted

They don't care about comic continuity in an animated series. They had already introduced Kyle Rayner as Green Lantern in the DCAU continuity a few years earlier in Superman the Animated series.

11365887555_9883164daf_z.jpg

They chose to ignore that in favor of Stewart to add diversity to the cast.

T1g likes this

Posted

I should have elaborated more in my post. I said they chose John, because at the time, several years after the Kyle episode, Kyle wasn't crazy popular. They do care about the comics insofar as they tended to pick whichever version of a character was active at the time. Aquaman was badass Hook aquaman, rather than orange scale-mail aquaman. Hal Jordan had been evil, dead, and Spectre over the ten years since he was Green Lantern, so the two character they used were the two people who were Green Lanterns in the comics. The Flash was Wally West. It was for the purpose of Diversity only so far as John Stewart was created in the 70s because they had very few black superheroes at DC at the time, and Neal Adams is a cool guy

Posted

I actually first found out about Green Lantern through that episode of Superman, so I was confused when i found out he was black in Justice League

Posted

Kyle Rayner was the Green Lantern when I was coming into comics. When Hal Jordan returned during the Paralax event that was when I discovered that there was more than one Earth Lantern (2814). I bought a trade paperback at Barnes and Noble and learned more about Hal Jordan and even Alan Scott the Golden age lantern and his very weird outfit. 

alan-scott.jpg

Nice Red Shirt you got there....ummm Green Lantern!?

Posted

John Stewart was my favorite character in Justice League, I think. I grew up with Justice League, but sat down and watched it all not too long ago. I really like Wally West and John Stewart. I thought that integration of the JL had a good balance of characters traits.

Posted

I liked the Wally West Flash because he's a nobody and because he eats hot dogs by the armful. Barry Allen, a cop whose mother was killed, is too angsty. DC's new cinematic universe needs less angst, in my opinion.

Posted

Kyle Rayner was the Green Lantern when I was coming into comics. When Hal Jordan returned during the Paralax event that was when I discovered that there was more than one Earth Lantern (2814). I bought a trade paperback at Barnes and Noble and learned more about Hal Jordan and even Alan Scott the Golden age lantern and his very weird outfit.

alan-scott.jpg

Nice Red Shirt you got there....ummm Green Lantern!?

Was it called fear itself? I have a trade that has stories for all 3 called Fear itself. Not sure if I've ever mentioned but I'm a huge JSA fan, so Alan Scott is my bread and butter.

I liked the Wally West Flash because he's a nobody and because he eats hot dogs by the armful. Barry Allen, a cop whose mother was killed, is too angsty. DC's new cinematic universe needs less angst, in my opinion.

Its interesting, you see, Barry died in 1986, and he didn't come back for a good 20 years, so he had no modern characterization when he came back to life. Geoff Johns was a big fan as a kid, so he did the best he could, but for some people it fell flat.

Posted

Gotham-Wallpaper.jpg

I'm not sure if anyone has talked about Gotham, personally I gave up after the first episode but was talked back into giving it a chance by my Sister Judy who has never even cracked open a comic and has no clue about the source material. After the initial slump the series did improve thankfully. I like the "Before Batman" feel of the show and am planning to binge watch this weekend. I would like to see a fast forward scene in the season finale with older Bruce in the Batcave but that is just wishful thinking.

Posted

Gotham has been alright in my book. It had an interesting storyline developing with the cold war between Maroni and Falcone, with Penguin and Fish as wild cards, but then they resolved a lot of that drama, and I haven't been as invested since. I'm sure the possibility of a gang war will become relevant again eventually. On the plus side, I think the show's Gordon is good, Penguin is good, and Harvey Bullock is great. I'd say Gotham has been the weakest of the comic-book TV shows I've been watching these last couple seasons, but it's still enjoyable.

I also doubt we'll ever see a more adult Bruce Wayne or actual Batman by the end of the season, or even the series, although I would be pleasantly surprised if the show did jump forward in time enough to do so by the time it's over. Admittedly, I have no idea where the show is actually going at this point, so anything could happen.