Sahaqiel's Miscellanies

104 posts in this topic

Posted

so capturing Pokemon-- ripping them from their families-- then letting them live forgotten in a box rather than releasing them to their freedom is better, huh pheo

You're no better than me. Your view is just distorted by your twisted morality.

SilverAlchemic likes this

Posted

Wait I haven't actually seen prometheus

Also: I only got six pokemon and they're all bros. Kangaskhan, kangaskhan's baby, weezing, quagsire, hypno, and steelix.

Posted

they're only slaves having to put themselves in the way of harm so you can abuse other already enslaved Pokemon

you are a monster

Posted

My pokemon and I work together and form a bond of friendship, they're not my slaves and they're never in any danger

My god you don't even know the difference between a friend and a slave anymore

Posted

you haven't even read my PM to you yet

also no have you ever even asked your Pokemon how they feel about fighting to the death for you

My pokemon [...] work [...], they're [...] my slaves and they're [...] in [...] danger

[...] don't even know the difference between a friend and a slave anymore

pheo, ladies and gentlemen.

Teto and SilverAlchemic like this

Posted

So I have a lot more stuff to post than just this. But for now, this will do because it's the easiest to give to you guys. I doodled a couple faces while I was studying. One during calculus homework, the other while I was freewriting in Japanese. I was pretty much just writing whatever came to mind or whatever I thought looked worse in terms of my handwriting, because I've gotten noticeably rusty (I have absolutely always hated writing か).

so please give any thoughts (: other than mean ones

I kind of actually want to know if I did any good at drawing these faces at all. I'm proud that I got the calculus one to actually kind of look like a tilted face. The other one I felt was like I tried to draw kaffles, but then gave her my hair and some indistinguishable nose from either of us.

Posted

mFufni's Adventure Beta 0.5

Alright, it's been awhile since I updated this, as school and everything has been getting in the way. But it's got a lot more since the last time.

lSUkjWt.png

BEACH zone

Namely, you can now enter the Forts and actually play the main aspect of the game off the overworld. The objective of each Fort is to grab the key, which teleports you back onto the overworld. The basic enemy, the fR0t, now spawns with your difficulty level, which increases each time you enter a Fort. The zone you're in affects what kind of Fort is randomly generated.

Controls:

- [Enter] to select on main menu

- [A] to enter Forts on the overworld, or to turn on the Charm inside Forts

- to throw torches inside Forts, or to turn on the Charm on the overworld, or to cancel on the main menu

- [Arrow Keys] to move

Additions:

- Added actual combat

- Added capability to enter the Shop, as well as Forts

- Torches' throw distances scale with your level, which increases for traversing the overworld

- Randomly generated terrain within Forts in the BEACH and FIELD zones

- fR0t enemies

- Animated ocean on overworld

- Added many sounds

Problems:

- No HUD yet

- Only two zones have randomly generated terrain

- Only one kind of enemy

- RIVER zone river is bugged and uninteresting to look at

- Shop doesn't have a practical use yet

As a bonus for this blog, since it's been awhile, my friend Josh sent me some floppy disks from Canada. For anyone who doesn't know, I plan to put this game on floppies and ship them out to people who pay five dollars as a donation on Kickstarter or Indiegogo. I plan to have a commercial and custom labels for the floppies; the game itself will be free online. Buying the floppies is more for novelty/supporting an indie artist. I will start with 100 copies. The first 100 to buy copies will have their names put in the credits, which is part of the incentive to buy a game for a "console" that isn't even put in computers anymore.

The floppies Nabeshin (Josh) gave me will probably be used for special edition or Beta cartridges since I plan to use the really old floppies in that off-white color. I want to make this really legitimate looking. I'm contemplating paying for a copyright, making a commercial, and seeing if I can get it rated by the ESRB. This project is partially due to wanting more experience, partially so I can say I made a game that had a hard copy release that shipped internationally. In other words, it's a joke I'm taking way too far, which is just the way I like it.

For any of you who want to play the latest version, you can get the game here!

Posted

I just erased a little bit of the beach and I can't get through these ú's. I assume I'm meant to get through them because they don't make the bump sound when I try going into them.

Also the title screen was really neat and I like all the sounds that went with the title screen. 

OH, S makes me blue so I can jump over ′. Still not getting me out of this little place though.

Ohhh okay, so A makes me go into the little ′'s and then into a room where I have to do the thing in your screenshot there. And then when I win the ú's open.

This game is cute. I would pretty much consider it complete already.

Oh wait, I see. Every time you beat a single level you can open one Ú. First thought was that you beat it and all the Ú doors in that room can open.

Posted

The final boss in the original version (this is a remake-overhaul) had a final boss, which was a giant floating bear head in space.

It's actually a dating sim and it's pretty complex; it's nowhere near complete lol.

Posted

Why do some pieces of river disappear and some don't?? What is with the mysterious golden Ú? And the mysterious Ó in the top left that just erased when I went over it?? Answers to these mysteries await us in the completed game.

Posted

What is your system locale? This one's set for the American ASCII stuff. The original overworld looks like this:

haEsR.png

Muffin had a similar problem when his locale was set to Japanese, so all the ASCII freaked out on him. The middle golden area is the shop.

The top left is the boss room, which I haven't programmed a collision for yet, so you can just walk over it. The blog post I made didn't mention it, but it did mention the river being bugged.

You level up every uh, like 20-something spaces you travel? There are enough to get you to level 10.

Posted

So my frustration with the lack of communication or friendly, natural contact with people here gave me the generic motivation to make music because I have to vent somewhere. The longest track I've ever made, woo. I haven't tested it on speakers, and I messed up a filter in the beginning part, but I'm at school so I can't change it right now. I'll probably polish it up later.

http://soundcloud.com/silent-scuffle/im-no-stranger-1

Shorter WIP with less messup in the beginning.

http://soundcloud.com/silent-scuffle/im-no-stranger

Also yeah I have tracks before those, but people probably aren't going to comment again.

Posted

I don't know what my system locale is, not sure how to check that, but all the things are like Ó and Ú. Not a huge deal though I don't think since I can still see the difference between things?

"I'm No Stranger" works out quite loud on speakers, in case you haven't gone and checked for yourself yet. Even with everything set quite low, it's fairly easy to make out. And by "quite low" I mean

UBBsWiP.png

Although as I said that, the track changed to Frenssu - Hope In Your Soul and it was just as loud on my speakers.

I'm No Stranger felt like a buildup rather than a finished piece to me, but it's up to you with what you were going for. I feel like it's something you'd be able to go back to in the future and play with. Like, if you were wanting to really flesh out some tracks later down the line, it would be good for an opener (or whatever you want it to be for)

Of course, personal tastes come into this as well because I just like stuff like SebastiAn and whatnot.

Listening through everything, I think these are all nice sounds. Muffin Factory was my favourite. But your newer stuff does sound more developed, like the feeling you get comparing newer music to music from years ago. Developed is probably the right word? Yeah. It sounds closer to the professional quality I kind of expect.

I say just keep playing around making sounds and loops and don't focus so much on full tracks. Not that I'm a musician, but I feel like eventually you'll just be able to take some of your favourite bits and pieces later down the line, flesh them out a bit, tweaking with older stuff, redoing them, splicing them together with other things, and then making them into full tracks.

It's like something I read somewhere the other day, just make lots. Quantity is better than quality sometimes. Like this story where a pottery making teacher split his class in half. He was to grade one half on quality, the other half on quantity. The side graded on quality were to make a single piece and none else, whereas the other half were just to make enough that it weighed enough at the end. After everything, everybody's work was graded accordingly. The side who went with quality ended up not doing very well, after spending time pouring over theory and planning their piece. On the other side, the people graded on quantity had actually ended up producing pieces of better quality than the people who were being graded on that.

So yeah, not sure how relevant it is for you and music making, but quantity is a good thing to aim for. I hear a lot of the best artists you see online who make great art only really show like 10% of their work, and just spend a lot of time failing to achieve what they want to.

Take from that anecdote what you will, and I'm not saying you don't do work that you don't post about it. I think your music's good and promising, but still needs development, as you probably know yourself anyway. Probably repeating stuff you already know here, but if I deemed everything as too obvious to say, who would end up talking to each other at all?

Sahaqiel likes this

Posted

Cool, yeah. I'd like to put out something really good, and this is the one closest to "professional quality" out of the ones I've made so far. I like the musical ideas I had earlier on, and I want to make some that use similar ideas, but with better production quality. Like, one of my friends who is pretty deep into the local electronic music scene says it [i'm No Stranger] reminds him of Justice, which is a decidedly "good musical group". My other friend in the EDM scene said it was "kick-ass", which made me feel pretty good. I want to polish it up and make it a full, presentable track. It definitely feels like an intro, especially how I filter it in. I wish my program were better about making smooth builds.

I wanted to experiement more with good sounding loops and samples, and then kind of meld the ideas with what I knew worked. I am proud of the vocals and percussions that I added into this, and in general, I tend to like the way I handle percussion. The percussion in On The Rocks, forLoops, and Muffin Factory, in particular, but I like how I tried to make the percussion work around the vocals.

To be honest, I like forLoops and On The Rocks more than a lot of my other works; if I could polish those up and make them into bangers somehow, that'd be neat.

I'm No Stranger definitely feels like an intro to something more spectacular, but I think it's pretty good on its own, if I can take it to where I want it to go, and I'm not sure where I would want to put any variations like a bridge, or how I would even do it. Every time I listen to it I want to polish it up. Incidentally, I sampled the Pointer Sisters' My Life for pretty much all the samples, but it sounds absolutely nothing like the original track, and I challenge you to find the part I loop in the background. It's decidedly a lot darker feeling than anything the Pointer Sisters do, which was kind of my intent because of all this mounting frustration I have.

Thanks for the input, Teto. (:

Posted

Your game should have Newtypes. Also you should finish those movies so you know what a newtype is