Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Battle Critters

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Battle Critters

Mini Synopsis

• Adventure in a new world full of wonderful and interesting characters and environments.
  • Become a Critter Handler and tame dozens of critters and team up with six of them at a time to battle other critter handlers.
  • Train the critters and watch them mature into new and more powerful forms.
  • Defeat elite Critter Masters and complete challenging quests to earn your spot among the champions.
  • Trouble is brewing. There are some dirty handlers cheating their way through the ranks and even stealing critters from other handlers! It’ll take a powerful hero to stop them, can you step up to the plate?

Features

(Work in progress and subject to change)

• I’m aiming for at least 100 different critters
  • 11 different types in 3 different categories
  • Hidden critters which are more powerful variations of common critters
  • Child and mature forms for each critter
  • Completely hand drawn, original graphics
  • Original music
  • In addition to “Gym Leader” like battles, quests will also be involved to earn medals
  • Medals, unlike badges, will serve a secondary functions besides level obedience, though this idea is still being thought of.

Help

(If you’d like to help me, here are some positions i need covered. Feel free to volunteer for any position, and more will probably open up as the game development progresses)

• Planners-- People to just generally help me with ideas and story
  • Character Designers-- Designing humans and/or critters
  • Graphics-- Take designs and conform them to the game’s “style.” This includes character graphics, battle animations, map features, etc.
  • Mapper-- Putting together maps (towns, routes, caves, etc.)
  • Statistics-- Levels, Attacks, Base Stats, etc.
  • Audio-- Music and/or Sound Effects
  • Coders-- Scripting Codes

(I will of course be working on all of this myself, except Audio since I really have no musical talent at all. I could really really use help with Statistics because I’m also bad at anything math related. And finally, Coding would be a great help too, even though most, if not all, the basics are already scripted )

I already have a handful of critter designs, but only a few of them redrawn on my computer. Here are three for now.

Spruce, a plant type critter encountered early in the game

Spruce.png

Spice, a hidden variation of Spruce who matures into a plant/fire critter

Spice.png

Sprucer, the mature form of Spruce

Sprucer-1.png

Posted

Thanks Teto, I really appreciate the mockery.

Posted

I can help with planning, mapping, and statistics.

Posted

But I mean why would you make this in the first place

Posted

Hey, I have an idea.

Why not try being nice? You'll feel better about yourself and others.

Posted

No, I mean, why? Is it meant to be a copy of Pokemon? If so...why wouldn't I just play Pokemon instead of a game that's in all likelihood, not going to be as good? If it's different, you haven't done a good job explaining what's different.

Posted

Thanks Teto, I really appreciate the mockery.

You drew evolutions, and seeing that the first two varied not so much in design, it made me think of how evolutions generally go, and I immediately just thought jokingly "they just get bigger", which lead me to draw blob, BLOB, and BLOB, just to draw a silly joke Pokemon which is just an expanding circle. I wanted to keep drawing more, so I decided that was the water starter, and then drew fire, and then grass. I can see now how the grass one might be seen as mockery, but it wasn't meant like that. By the time I had started blob, I wasn't really thinking of this thread anymore, just being pulled by my train of thought, and didn't think about the thread until after I'd done all three.

The grass one wasn't based on yours in the OP. I thought to myself, what is the best "it just gets bigger" equivalent in plants? Grass < Bush < Tree. Just to draw those three wouldn't be silly enough though, so I stuck them on the heads of tiny identical men.

I can see how it can be seen as mockery, but it really wasn't intended that way. I just decided to post them here, where I got the inspiration. I was set on drawing silly stuff to begin with, the only thing this thread did was focus that energy on the world of Pokemon.

No, I mean, why? Is it meant to be a copy of Pokemon? If so...why wouldn't I just play Pokemon instead of a game that's in all likelihood, not going to be as good? If it's different, you haven't done a good job explaining what's different.

Probably because it'd be fun to make games. This isn't necessarily being made for other people. And it's a little more creative and original to make your own Pokemon rather than just redrawing all the Pokemon like he'd intended to do before, and that can be fun. People write fanfiction and original stories, they do it because they want to.

Posted

But I mean why would you make this in the first place

Probably because it'd be fun to make games. This isn't necssarily being made for other people. And it's a little more creative and original to make your own Pokemon rather than just redrawing all the Pokemon like he'd intended to do before, and that can be fun. People write fanfiction and original stories, they do it because they want to.

in other news. i have about 36 or so designs now and a bit better understanding of the program.

Also, hit me up on Skype, Chase!

@teto. i mean, okay. Sorry for assuming your BLOB post was in bad intentions.

Posted

You're still working on this right

Posted

I'm not gonna lie, Guild Wars 2 has distracted me. But I have been working on concepts and such for this while im at work. I have a lot of free time there. Actually, that reminds me that I need a folder to store all my note pages and drawings for it haha.

thanks for asking!

Excluding "Hidden" Critters, I have i think 42 critter designs. (though a handful need to be redesigned) The Human characters are actually giving me more trouble, surprisingly enough.

Posted

Im working on this again, but im starting from scratch because ive decided that i dont wanna use the Pokemon Battle system. Instead im going for more of a traditional JRPG battle system (think classic Final Fantasy)

Here is a quick mock-up i drew. The pink text wont actually be there and this layout is most deff subject to change.

mockupbattle_zpscdd4314f.png

Something that i hope to implement is the "Captcha" system. Instead of Pokeballs, you must impress your target in order to tame it.

Battle Critters are intelligent beings that are even capable of speech! (although most of them only speak when spoken too when interacting with humans) So it'd be inhumane to shove them into tiny containers! After you defeat all the other enemy critters and get the target's HP as low as you can without defeating it, you may choose the "Captcha" option. Here you will be given 3 choices:

[Force] choose one of your critters to do one final attack to force the critter into submission. The more powerful the critter is, the more this will work. Type advantages help here too.

[Charm] Again, choose one of your critters, but this time your critter will try to "swoo" your target. A happiness system will come into effect here. A happy critter is a charming critter!

[bribe] Choose something from your backpack to bribe your target. miscellaneous loot from defeated critters can be used here, as well as berries and other expendable items.

I had some other ideas but im losing my train of thought right now. Anyways, time to figure out how to script and code all this bull shit. Haha.

Posted

You could capture them based on whether or not you enter a captcha code correctly

ah ha ha ha ha

Posted

that might actually be too difficult with some of the captchas ive seen haha