Ocarina of Time Workout Challenge

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey Hnet community! So last weekend, I was working on my 3 Heart Challenge of OoT with my friend. While we all know what I like to do on my Friday nights (see: getting schwasted), a lot of you know I am also a pretty active person and I friggin' love working out, probably more than I like playing Zelda. So I had an idea, and I thought you guys could maybe get a kick out of it. Playing OoT on the N64/Wii Virtual Console/GCN is well, a rather static kind of fun, and if you're feeling you could maybe do some exercising lately or just want to prolong your game progress (or see how well you can do without having to do any of these), you should try it out!

My mission is to make you sore after 1-1.5 hours of playing. There will be an easier version and a harder version. Modify these if you need to - ex. if you can't do regular pushups, try the ladies' pushups. Or if you get sick of doing regular crunches, try oblique crunches or V's. These exercises were made in mind to just slightly distract you from the game and not take up too much time! Feel free to add to the list or make suggestions :>

Remember, this will only pay off if you work at it! Exercising is 80% mental, 20% physical!

Good luck! Also don't hurt yourself pls.

The Rules

1. Any death (fairy or no fairy): 5 pushups / 10 pushups
  2. "Game Over" screen: add 3 pushups / 5 pushups in addition to Any death pushups (#1)
  3. Heart Container collection/completed Heart Container - get your heart rate up!: 15 jumping jacks / 25 jumping jacks
  4. Spiritual Stone/Medallion: 5 squats / 10 squats
    (Add cutscene [#6] on the following places: After Kokiri's Emerald, Zora's Sapphire, Fire Medallion, Shadow Medallion, and Spirit Medallion)
  5. New item/Upgrades (Biggoron's sword, wallet, bigger seed bag, quiver, etc): 15 sit ups / 30 sit ups
  6. Cutscene:
    15-20 seconds / 40-60 seconds
  7. "Hey! Listen!" (even forced Navi dialogue): 2 pushups / 5 pushups
  8. Kaepora Gaebora encounter: 10 squats / 20 squats
  9. Getting the Master Sword (hooray!): 30 jumping jacks / 50 jumping jacks
  10. Seeing Princess Zelda, ever: 10 crunches / 20 crunches
  11. Falling due to improperly aimed jump: 10 crunches / 20 crunches
  12. Getting lost in Lost Woods: 2 pushups / 5 pushups
  13. Getting caught by a Castle guard/Gerudo guard:
    10-20 seconds / 30-40 seconds
  14. New Ocarina Song: 10 lunges (5 each leg) / 20 lunges (10 each leg)
  15. Playing an Ocarina song: 5 crunches / 10 crunches
  16. Getting hit by a flying enemy (Keese/Guay): 5 jumping jacks / 10 jumping jacks (if frozen/on fire, add #19)
  17. Grabbed by a Wallmaster: 10 leg lifts / 20 leg lifts
  18. Warping between childhood and adulthood: 10
    20 burpees
  19. Getting caught on fire/frozen: 10 jumping jacks / 20 jumping jacks (if from flying enemy, add #16)

If you notice, there are some "combo" penalties, which may or may not help increase your strength endurance. They are only ever so often (like the Heart Container + Spiritual Stone + Cutscene combo is after every other dungeon, with exception of Shadow/Spirit Temple) or if you manage to double-screw up (like death + game over combo). I am also needing more suggestions for combos!

I'll also post the version I was playing with my friend, which is recommended for those of legal drinking age only - yes, it involves alcohol; and for heaven's sake, be safe about it!

http://puppyyeahlink....e-drinking-game

Note: we played the abbreviated version of this game... It's a hell of a lot more difficult when you're also trying to do a no-death 3 Heart Challenge lol

Posted

Omg Cirt, this is amaaaaazing. I should really try it, actually...

Posted

I wonder what version of this I'll be playing... (: thnx cirt for the handy link <3

But really the workout version is p. neat as I said in IRC!! :o might actually get someone like me to do exercise for once in their life lol, will need to try it out :o

Posted

Awesome idea, Cirt.

Now only if you could get Link to do this with you.

Posted

Awesome idea, Cirt.

Now only if you could get Link to do this with you.

lol seriously. lots of pausing the game :<

I'm thinking about making a Skyward Sword one (since it would amount up to 20ish hours of exercising, assuming you exercise half the time you play the game) but goodness I need to know the game better/take into account what all you can do with the Wii MotionPlus.

Posted

lol seriously. lots of pausing the game :<

I'm thinking about making a Skyward Sword one (since it would amount up to 20ish hours of exercising, assuming you exercise half the time you play the game) but goodness I need to know the game better/take into account what all you can do with the Wii MotionPlus.

i was thinking while reading this, it would be better if you had to move while playing, rather than pausing, and you mentioned SS. first thing that popped into my head was "dash as link: run in place while doing so" and probably making skyward slashes insanely over-the-top, like going all the way to your toes with the 'mote, or something along those lines. theres probably some excersize motions similar to the ones you have to use in-game. planking while puzzle-solving or doing pushups during cutscenes, idk.

Jareddude likes this

Posted

Oh this looks pretty cool. i might try to work this into my current games, like Super Mario 3D Land..... but only when nobody is looking lol.

Posted

jux make sure to stick to it! ;o I am going to see if I can convince my friend again to start yet another OoT file to try this.

Or I'll just write a Majora's Mask version

Posted

I think I'll start this once winter break comes around.

Cirt likes this