College Woes

152 posts in this topic

Posted

My parents don't believe me when I tell them I really really do appreciate them paying for me to go to college

Posted

pheo and his upper middle class problems

I literally spend 2 hours sitting here alone in my dorm room playing solitaire

ITS GETTING WORSE

Posted

fuq yeah I should.

what am I doing.

Posted

Even I'm doing sketch pages for a comic that I'm going to show one of my professors to look over before I start doing the finished pages.

Professor studies sequential art and has an eisner award etc.

Posted

this thread hasn't been posted in for a while bit whatever

so I'm really exhausted. I'm feeling burned out, unmotivated, whatever. I don't feel like doing anything - not even running or swimming or biking. I had my triathlon Sunday and I'm glad I finished it and did well but now I'm feeling gloomy. I had a lot of schoolwork to be done in the past 24 hours and I did a lot of it and I'm still feeling unaccomplished. is this normal for this point in college? I feel like I'm in a standstill and my life is going nowhere right now. I should be training for my next tri in two weeks (and it's over twice as long of distance, which I'm not prepared for) but I'm just tired. I want to sleep but I feel useless when I lay down. I'm tired of looking at the Internet and looking at my phone. I'm bored? maybe I need something constructive. I don't know.

I feel like an empty shell. just unsure of what to do with myself. my stomach's been hurting all day and I thought it was because I was hungry but food doesn't curb it. like I'm hungry but I have no appetite. it's not good

this is a wall of text. I'm sorry

Posted

I felt similar to what you describe a lot towards the week of finals every quarter last school year. I really believe it was because I did pretty much the same thing I did my freshman year of college. Fortunately, this quarter I feel refreshed. It may be that I just started my second week of school. I did some spontaneous stuff such as joining the Archery club last Friday for fun, and the Soul Ensemble today out of the blue.

Perhaps mix it up this or next quarter/semester? Try joining a club? Or perhaps you are piling on too much on yourself?

Posted

So, as a follow up, here's the deal. I thought I liked engineering, but having done these first classes, I don't actually think I'm cut out for it. I'm in some Emglish classes this semester, and I actually feel like they're making me a better individual as opposed to lowering my GPA and making me more or less hate everything.

I've been a bit miserable in my major for basically the whole time I've been here, so it makes sense that I'm finally setting aside my pride and admitting that I'm in the wrong place. I'm in the process of changing majors to English (Rhetoric track) so that after I finish undergrad, I can go to seminary and start working towards ordination in the United Methodist Church.

I was incredibly surprised that my parents were supportive when I told them, as ministry is the only field they've ever asked me not to go into. But they knew that I would probably be happier in the long run, and they know I don't really care about money, so all will be good.

Posted

It's not so much a college woe per se, but I really do need to find work. It's a bit disconcerting to know that I'm 20, almost done with my undergrad and I'm still heavily dependent on my parents. I didn't go away for college so I still commute from home, and I don't have to worry about paying for tuition because the military waives it and my parents pay for my gas and textbooks. I've never even had so much as a part-time job. That isn't to say that I'm not thankful to them, but compared to people my age that I know, I don't think I have the slightest ounce of self-sufficiency.

That's all just me whining about things I probably shouldn't, though~*~*~

Posted

My roommate told me today that she wants to switch rooms.

My roommates last year were my friends but they didn't want to room with me again this year.

nobody wants me as a roommate pfffffff.

I'm not even that bad. If my stuff is messy, I keep it confined to my own area. I stay out of her stuff, and I usually don't borrow anything.

I do sleep like 14 hours a day though, maybe that's why....pfff...

and we don't really have much in common.

I hope nobody else moves in so I can have the whole room to myself.

Posted

I hope nobody else moves in so I can have the whole room to myself.

the best of luck to us both.

Posted

So, my parents were a lot less supportive the second time I talked to them. Basically, they said they would give me no support of any form. I was frustrated so I quickly ended the conversation and decided to take an introvert day, where I just sat in my apartment and played videogames and watched Sherlock. I did talk to my sister later that night, though, and by the next day I was back out and about, being social and whatnot.

Fast forward three days, and I get another call from my mom. She apologizes, mentions that my grandma is going to be calling me soon, and says she would like us to actually talk about it. We got to at least a neutral point, which is a lot better than the open hostility of the second phone call. As it turns out, my sister told my grandma what was happening and my grandma got super mad, leading her to yell at my mom about supporting her child and stuff. This prompted the apologetic phone call. Everything is a lot better, we've talked about the future, and it looks like everything is going to be okay.

I love my grandma.

Chase and Teto like this

Posted

switching majors

Posted

Switching majors to something better suited to a future in seminary. My parents weren't exactly fond of either part of that conversation (switching majors/going to seminary), but they opened up to it a tiny bit by the third time I talked to them about it. They don't see ministry as a "real" career, which I still find strange considering they are Christians...

Posted

They aren't real Christians. Don't worry. My parents are the same way.

Or, I guess I should say they're "bad" Christians. Far be it from me to assume.