College Woes

152 posts in this topic

Posted

Having changed my major to English, I find myself faced with a new problem. I only need 36 more credit hours to graduate, which is three semesters. Unfortunately, I have to take four semesters of language classes to graduate. That means I either have to take even more unnecessary classes and risk losing my in-state tuition, or I have to take a semester of like 6 hours. Or I could see about taking a language class over this Summer, but that means I can't do the internship I want to do. Then, there's the fact that I really don't want to graduate early, partially because I like college and partially because I'm not entirely sure that I can finish the candidacy process in three semesters, which would leave me with a gap between graduation and starting seminary.

I'm afraid of the future, and all of the sudden, it's basically here. Ahhh.

Posted

maybe if you take that fourth semester, you can finish the candidacy process, and everything will be ok? and a fourth semester means that you can space out your classes to the bare minimum if you want, and your GPA will be even easier to maintain.

gawd i wish i could take an extra semester. but this place is too bloody pricy, and my waiver is one of a four year duration, not five. i dunno what prat decided that engineers should be able to do all of the things in four years, but if i could just get my hands on him and make him go through this insanity....

my next semester is 17 credit hours (out of 18) and all of them are bioengineering classes. and one is anatomy. im not looking forward to this.

Posted

I could also do teacher certification, simply because it would fill up a semester (student teaching) and also be useful in the event that things don't work out as I'm currently hoping. Because I'm on my fallback plan now, I need a new one just in case.

My electrical engineering degree plan was ridiculous. There was a semester of 15 hours Senior year, and that was the least number of hours I would get to take if I wanted to finish in four years. It's honestly supposed to be a 5 year degree, but you can do it in 4 if you mostly take 17 and 18 hour semesters, where the classes are too difficult to do well in if you take that many at once.

Posted

Well, I can't find a job.

My car seems to be imploding. Over $700 into maintenance over the past 2 weeks.

Oh, and I haven't been here in a while, so I didn't give you guys the update about me having a girlfriend. Or the one about how she went home over Thanksgiving break and puppyed some other guy.

I don't know if I passed my Drafting/AutoCAD class. puppy that class. With a pickax or a rake or some kind or some kind of lawn equipment.

I can't sleep anymore. I just lay in bed. Even with melatonin. And when I do sleep, I wake up around 5 in the morning.

I have tendinitis in my left wrist. If you are unfamiliar with this, it makes your wrist and the attached hand pretty much useless. I can't even work out to burn off the stress of everything else, except for lower body.

I moved to Marquette and it is barely snowing here. I came here for the puppying snow.

I'm losing weight to an extent that I'm a little scared/shocked. Based on how I've been eating, I should not still be losing weight, the numbers should stay put. And I don't know why I am.

Posted

i cant say a whole lot to that, other than that sucks royally.

the sleep and the weight loss sound like stress form the other things, imo. if the weight loss crosses from scary to dangerous, though, youll probably want to get yourself checked out. im assuming your school has medical insurance? and on the plus side, it sounds like youll be able to use your left hand after a few days, though itll take a few weeks for a complete recovery--basically you just have to take it easy. as for snow....weve still got january.

Posted

I'm sorry to hear that, man. Sounds like things have been sucking.

It sounds like you might be going through a bit of depression, perhaps? Get a second opinion from a doctor. You may be eating, but you may not be eating as much as you are used to. Rather, you may feel full after eating a portion? Hope you feel better, man. Having the blues suck, especially during this time of year.

Posted

(horrible things that are happening)

Oh my goodness, GMP. ):

I regret not being able to do anything for you. Please try as hard as you can to find a way out of all this. Don't fall into a slump. There are ways to get through it, I'm sure of it.

Posted

I'm looking at other schools than NIU right now. NIU is a great illustration school, but it's not going to put me on professional level industrial design by the time I graduate. I found FZD school of design. This is a school I'm very strongly considering visiting. On one hand, it's supposed to turn pretty good students into professional grade students in the timespan of a year, which is great. And on top of that, it's an entire school designed to teach students to do exactly what I want to do for my career, and it's very good at that. It's also in singapore, so that's something.

On the other hand, it's about 33 grand in USD for that year. That's about 200% more expensive than my current year of tuition. And on top of that, the work is supposed to be outrageously hard. Lots and LOTS of work. Students go to sleep on average at 2 AM every day. With my schedule this semester, I'm working three different studios on top of two already work heavy classes, and I'm averaging sleep at midnight with a day to relax once a week.

I'm not entirely sure how I'd do at this school with a workload like that. Though I know my chances of being a successful industrial designer(and hopefully in the future an art director) are very slim without a degree from a school like this, and to be honest, I find the idea of this challenge a bit exciting.

Anyways, I'm going to keep looking at graduate design schools, but right now this one is pretty high on my list.

Posted

Oh geez, 33 grand?! ... *pats pheo* ;A;

I was kind of hoping a fresh start with First Year would give me more of a social life. Or at least more opportunity for a social life.

I've met some nice people for sure, but I honestly feel like I've only got one or two friends I enjoy hanging out with constantly. And my housemates kind of suck.

And the workload seems to just constantly pile up, so I get even less time to hang out. I've gone home like every weekend except for the last weekend because I'd rather be at home doing homework than on Res with my housemates. Maybe I'm a little homesick though, Iunno.

I've got a really cool place lined up next year though for my living quarters, and it'll be with people I generally enjoy being around too at least.

Posted

Every time you talk about college I become more confused about what your end goals are, pheo.

Also Eka, don't overwork yourself lol. When is the last time you were around?

Posted

Essentially, I want to get my illustration degree, then use it to go into game design. Things like comics are something pretty much every art student I've ever met wants to do on the side, myself included, but I want to work on video games.

Posted

I've got a really cool place lined up next year though for my living quarters, and it'll be with people I generally enjoy being around too at least.

reminds me that sayuri still hasnt told me whether im getting her place, or puppyed six ways to sunday as far as housing for next semester goes.

basically, if she transfers into another schools CS department rather than stay here and stressfully try to get into our CS department, i get her apartment. if she doesnt transfer for whatever reason, im just straight-up puppyed. seriously, ive threatened that ill live in her living room if she doesnt get back to me sooner rather than later :/

i mean, i dont particularly want her to leave, as it means one of my rare irl friends becoming an internet friend, but at the same time, i have nowhere to live next year, and no one to apartment with. which means either an expensive single, or dorm housing. and im incredibly and literally sick of dorm food.

Posted

Also Eka, don't overwork yourself lol. When is the last time you were around?

(God this new quote layout looks so nice now ;3;~)

Yeah, for sure. Well this week has been my laziest since its a week off school, but before this week I guess I took a day to shop around two Saturdays ago. I had one of my future housemates for Second Year tag along too, although I'm gradually realizing I'll have to shop with her less if anything. I'm not much of a clothes shopper, and scouring every nook and cranny of the Goodwill for an hour and 20 minutes (including her going over rows multiple times searching for Abercrombie and Fitch stuff) wasn't exactly a fantastic time. It was ok, but I prefer shopping really quickly unless I'm in like a bookstore or something. Otherwise she's pretty cool.

I don't go out much, pfft. People are mostly busy when I'm free. :\ And I can't go out to bars with my classmates 'cause I'm not of legal drinking age yet (nor am I too enticed to get drunk since I haven't yet).

Posted

(God this new quote layout looks so nice now ;3;~)

i kainda miss being able to edit peoples names though. not like i di it a lot, but there were some good jokes from it :>

I don't go out much, pfft. People are mostly busy when I'm free. :\ And I can't go out to bars with my classmates 'cause I'm not of legal drinking age yet (nor am I too enticed to get drunk since I haven't yet).

i know what you mean, lol. for whatever reason, im not possessed with the urge to drink underage, and the american party style of chugging drinking doesnt appeal to me, either. and then the people in my year/major are like "you gonna go to the bar crawl?" its just awkward. because 1) im only 20 (for two more months) and 2) im not actually friends with them that well. "oh yeah, i wanna drink underage with you people that i barely talk to!" i think i can do without.

I'm Crazy likes this

Posted

The worst thing is when I'm with friends at their apartments and they bust out the alcohol. Not because I particularly care what they do, so long as they aren't going to hurt themselves, but because they always tend to antagonize me about not partaking. Normally, they don't push me to do things they know I have moral issues with, but for some reason they really want me to drink with them.

In general, things are actually going incredibly well for me. I'm going to graduate a year early, so in a year from May, and then I have an internship lined up before I go to seminary the following year. Things are falling into place quite nicely, I must say.