Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Doctor Who

157 posts in this topic

Posted

I kind of always got the impression that people were pretending to like it

I mean I don't think I would hate it if I watched it. But I feel like people would get overhyped about it for like reasons other than the show itself. As if it was like some kind of status thing.

Posted

No it's literally a kid's show. Ask any British person who watches it and they'll agree. In America it's all hyped up to be this special adult nerd thing, but no, it's a kid's show. the UK just makes kid shows better than America does.

It's NOT a show meant to be taken seriously, but any standard.

You will note at no point in my post did I say it was a serious show for serious folks. I even said it was a kid show. What i'm saying is that just because it is targeting children doesn't mean it has to pander. And I don't even mean "be serious" the great thing about classic who is how delightfully campy it can be. I'm just sayinv they could write a little smarter by having the doctor think his way out of situations more often than he flicks the sonic screwdriver

Posted

Oh i thought you were saying it wasnt a show for children.

Posted

I don't buy the "Its a kid show" thing. Not for anything really. Kids shows don't have to talk down to kids, and can be entertaining for both. This is not to say that this factoid has ruined my enjoyment of the show or anything. Its just something that could be improved. Like a picard speech every episode. That gets a little annoying.

Ah, I see where you would think that. Bad wording on my part. What I meant was, I don't buy that Kid shows can't be just as enjoyable as anything else. All "kid show" refers to is levels of content (Blood and Guts, nudity...etc), not sophistication of storytelling. This is my definition because i can remember shows like that from when I was a kid. The DC animated universe, Smart warners shows like Animaniacs, and Pinky and the Brain, Freakazoid and the like. But getting back to Doctor Who, The Screwdriver was only invented with the second doctor, and was almost unseen during the third. It got off and on heavy to light usage up to the fifth doctor where it was broken permanently. Until the 90s movie that is. So its certainly wouldn't be too outside of the shows parameters to dial it back a bit...

Posted

Well see the problem here is that there are a lot of situations where the sonic screwdriver is the smart choice. If he did something incredibly elaborate to, say, open a door, then that is interesting but it leaves the viewer asking "Why didn't he just use the screwdriver?" 

It's like if there was a bank robbery, and the Justice League asks Aquaman to get a detailed description of the culprits from a salmon swimming up a nearby stream, instead of reviewing the security footage.

Posted

Hence why the Screwdriver needs to go. Thats why they stopped using it back in the day, because it limited what kind of stories you could do.

Posted

But you can't get rid of something so iconic. That's like taking lightsabers out of the next Star Wars.

Posted

No its really not. Doctors 5-7 didn't use it at all, 4 only used it half the time, and 3 barely used it at all. But in modern Who, I don't really see them getting rid of it unfortunately. Too marketable.

And also, if you recall in the original trilogy there are exactly 4 lightsabers featured, 3 people using them. Iconic? Yes. But it would still be star wars if it was say, just a couple of Bounty hunters with blasters

Posted

it's like if they took the ponies outta My Little Pony!

2.jpg

Posted

And on that poignant note, lets change the topic. Neil Gaiman is doing another episode this season, and a Cybermen one at that. Pretty excite.

Posted

it's like if they took the ponies outta My Little Pony!

2.jpg

How dare you

Actually they changed the design of that so they still look like ponies but also humans.

Hasbro2-superJumbo.jpg

I'll give it a chance, but I am not a fan of these designs...

But getting back on topic, Neil Gaiman Cybermen episode.

Posted

Love conquers all....Again....puppy.

Posted

This may not be the best point to ask this: but if if I was going to watch this show, where would I start? Just curious. I am assuming that it's not in the oldest episodes?

I have so many TV recommendations from people and I am weighing my options here. It is this or A Game of Thrones.

I couldn't have been recommended a short show with one season

I guess

Posted

If you have netflix or something I would recommend starting with the ninth doctor. That's where I started. If it doesn't quite interest you enough, try the tenth doctor. 

Posted

What season is that? Ninth season?