Shin Megami Tensei and other Atlus games.

72 posts in this topic

Posted

Many of you are aware of Shin Megami Tensei. Maybe through persona games, or devil survivor, or other games in the series. I also added in Atlus games since it may be hard to get started.

To get us started here are a few trailers

Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55rhua7oid0

Code of Princess (3DS)

What do you think? I think SMT:4 looks amazing. I can't wait to see how it turns out. Code of Princess is also looking good, and i'll probably pick it up at launch.

Posted

Didn't know Code of Princess was Atlus. I'd need to know more about it than that trailer tells, though. SMT IV looks pretty alright. I like the design of the characters, even if MC looks like Korra.

I've been meaning to play Nocturne and the Digital Devil Saga. And Raidou. And every other RPG that Atlus has made but, sadly half of them aren't translated and the other half cost money.

I played P4 for the first time a month ago, it was good stuff. I like how we've had a Persona thread, a Persona tips thread, and now an SMT/Persona thread.

Posted

maaaaaaan atlus games. I'd play so many more of you but you all cost money and a ton of you are NEVER RELEASED IN EUROPE ffffff europe hatin' on RPGs, make me sad. Atlus EU branch would be nice. >:

But anyways, Code of Princess looks p. fun actually. Zombie Girl and The Nun were my favourites in that trailer, haha. And it's for the 3DS, so if it comes out in Europe I might actually be able to get it!?!?

Nocturne is such a diiiiick muffles. I always die on either the first boss in the game or the world map enemies right after the first boss, lol >: one day... I will get past the world map... I'm wanting to try Digital Devil Saga as well! But yeah, monies. I'm sure that's out here anyways.

Persona games are a must play for everyone, no exceptions. Maybe one day I'll get a chance to play P1/P2, even if they are super hard and clunky to play or something. It'd still be... somewhat fun lol.

AND FINALLY NABE I WILL PLAY CATHERINE AS SOON AS I CAN I PROMISE, I just need to get a working HDMI cable and a chance to go home and play it ;-; also everyone play catherine if you haven't. such an original, different game from the standard norm. (: just obviously don't start on hard mode lol. wish me luck on that when I finally get to play...

Posted

Remember to get your HDMI cable from Amazon. In shops it'll be like £15 when it's maybe £2 on Amazon.

And I feel like playing through Catherine again somewhat but I already get the gist of the plot and I'm not really interested enough in seeing how exactly it plays out for the other endings to bother going through the whole thing again. The cutscenes just went on and on, and eventually they just bored me, except of course when you had the major events nearer the end. The character animations weren't always all that great, and the music got really stale really quickly.

Posted (edited)

I'm quite fond of Trauma Center: Under the Knife.

If you haven't played it, it's like a normal surgery game up until around chapter 9, when you acquire the "healing touch", which basically slows time for better accuracy during surgery.

And then things get all types of weird.

First of all, there's a medical-terrorist organization called Delphi who believe that disease is God's way of saying "GET OUT." They also believe that doctors are evil for preventing god's wrath. This results in you having to disarm a bomb in a building full of doctors.

It gets weirder.

They create synthetic diseases, codenamed GUILT, in order to drive the human race to extinction. And let me tell you, these are NOT your average manmade bioweapon diseases. There are 7 of them, each named after a greek day of the week.

Kyriaki- An arrow shaped-parasite that cuts you up from the inside.

Deftera- A moving tumor that works in pairs.

Triti- A sort of cancerous mass of tissue that, unless removed in a precise order, spreads at an alarming rate.

Tetarti- Three viruses that spread poison gases in the organ.

Pempti- A core-like virus that creates a gelatinous membrane on the lungs or intestines.

Paraskevi- A fibrous parasite that burrows through organs to reach the heart.

Savato- Not gonna sugarcoat this: It is a flaming spider that spins webs that stop the heart from beating. It also cuts up the heart. And it spawns mini versions of itself. And your scalpel melts every time you cut a web. You have to stop time to defeat it.

This game is amazing.

Edited by DR SHRUBBERY! (see edit history)

Posted

Oh gosh, that post reminded me of the time I was playing trauma center and accidentally used the laser instead of the healing touch... that was not a pretty sight.

Posted

I feel like Catherine would be a much better game without the puzzles. Or, at the very least, you could simulate the puzzles. I'm only in it for the story and the puzzles are turning me off big time.

It doesn't help that I keep dying on easy mode. I've never played a game where easy mode was challenging for me.

Posted (edited)

Oh gosh, that post reminded me of the time I was playing trauma center and accidentally used the laser instead of the healing touch... that was not a pretty sight.

Thanks for the mental image.

In other news, Caaaaatherine. I love that game. But yeah, it's not a game you start on hard. Start on Easy and work your way up. Then you do Babel.

I will admit the puzzles can be frustrating at times, but the story and gameplay make it one of the most unique games I've ever played.

I feel like Catherine would be a much better game without the puzzles. Or, at the very least, you could simulate the puzzles. I'm only in it for the story and the puzzles are turning me off big time.

It doesn't help that I keep dying on easy mode. I've never played a game where easy mode was challenging for me.

Actually, you can skip the puzzles, but only if you've scored gold on that particular level on that particular difficulty. Pretty useful when you're trying to get all of the endings.

And yeah, the game is ridiculously unforgiving in terms of difficulty, though the original Japanese release was even worse in that regard. They actually had to release a patch for an even easier difficulty because "Easy" was too hard for people.

Edited by Treemotan (see edit history)

Posted

Whaaat, you're having trouble on easy? I was having trouble on hard. Then I switched to normal after day 1 or 2 because I was like "I am not finishing this in a day if I play on hard". It was a pretty fun game. I really liked both game aspects of the game, with the puzzles during the night and drinking and talking to friends at the bar otherwise.

Although, I wish the cutscenes would change more dramatically depending on how evil you are instead of only changing the ending. Like, while I was playing, I asked my friend Hunter "Has anything different happened yet?" since he asked me to play the opposite of what he did, and he was like "Nope, it's only the endings." I was pretty upset by that, but it's whatever, I guess. Still. : (

Posted

I'm quite fond of Trauma Center: Under the Knife.

This game is amazing.

i still havent finished that sucker....it doesnt help that after getting the healing touch, i proceeded to not really use it. at all. i tend to do crap like that :/ "here, have magic" "noap, gonna punch the boss to death."

also, ive been playing persona 1. its p amusing, as Nanjo is basically what i imagine knuckle to look like, and then t1g and earthy are like "WHY ARE YOU EVEN PLAYING THAT"

really, though, when i had to find a mirror, and Nanjo/Knuckle was like "i think ive heard about that thing somewhere"....well, lets just say that when "history museum" showed up on a building....i knew it was the one.

Posted

To put things into perspective, in Trauma Center all strains of GUILT have this theme:

All except Savato.

Savato has this:

puppying Savato, man...

Posted

So I don't follow this game series but I listened to those tracks up there, and I decided EDA you would probably like the Dark Souls ost a lot.

I think I mentioned you would like this game and it turned out you actually had the prequel or something? Did you ever play that. This is a discussion for a different thread.

Posted

I'm Pheonix and I have ADD, I don't know how to stay on topic at all, guys, let's talk about Dark Souls and Demon's Souls for the rest of the thread because why talk about Atlus games.

Point is, Atlus needs to learn how to translate their games and how to send them to America and Europe.

Posted

Nintendo/Sony US/EU need to get their shit together, really.

Posted

Devil Survivor 2 things:

just some of my favorite builds/active/passive skill combos of Devil Survivor 2, if anyone gets around to playing it:

mag build: max mag, put enough points into str/ag/vit for elemental null/drain abilities. mag builds break either DS game in your favor, but you spend more time equipping spells and resistances before fights. if you want to be lazy, use holy spells. as far as passive goes, drain whatever the boss is using, amp whatever youll be using (if you like) and phys drain/reflect is always a nice thing to have.

(fumi follows this, also otome, io, and somewhat joe. yamato can pull this off too.)

Str/vit build: max str, secondary stat vit, and any ag you feel like.

active skills (though you wont need em, really): anger hit*/mighty hit, hassohoppa, mow down, etc.

passive skills: attack all, ultimate hit, double strike (you hit all enemies twice, and since its almighty damage, they cant do jack shite about it.) or pierce if you dont have ult hit.

auto skill: rage soul. alternatively, marksman (anger hit), blitzkrieg (early game),  weaken/debilitate, or full might.

(jungo follows this, yamato can pull this off, makoto)

str/ag build: max str, second ag.

active skills: multi-strike, multi-hit, piercing hit (for those pesky null/drains)

passive skills: drain hit, ares aid, crit up, pierce, depending on the situation. for most endgame things, id drop crit up.

auto skill: marksman. when you hit every opponent you got seven times, with max str, its just over.

(keita gave me the idea for this, daichi, hinako)

id have to try it out on DS1, but i remember that phys characters were p useless in that game, cept for fighting babel. just werent as many options for a phys character, i think. but my second playthrough of DS2 was a phys/ag, and lets just say that there was a lot less customization before a level, like using holy spells with a mag character.

also, drain phys is almost always a nice perk to throw on to your passive skill list. the AI is.....lacking, in that aspect. turning a weakness into a reflect, null, or drain on a demon doesnt stop the AI from trying to hit said former weakness. you get a lot of bonus macca from it.

also, been playing p3p quite a bit. gotta say, diggin ken and koromaru. though its rather impractical in a battle situation, my "dream team" is "the robot, the kid, and the dog". ive also got a strange weak spot for costumes. overpriced swimsuits? YES. butler outfits? TAKE MY MONEY.

i really wanna get to playing p4, but i promised myself that id beat p3p first. also, its really cool to see some of the tie-ins of p1 with p3. "yeah, we used to be the nanjo corperation, buuuuuuut----"