Shin Megami Tensei and other Atlus games.

72 posts in this topic

Posted

I have to say I did like Overclocked more than Devil Survivor 2, but that could be just because Devil Survivor 2 got unfair at moments. I will admit Devil Survivor 2 did add a ton of nice details to the mini series, including a basic social link system. I do kinda agree that Strange Journey was made by a development team that hates everything nice about life, but I haven't played too much of it since I only tried my friend's copy.

P3P is coming along interestingly. I got it in the mail today and started up. The first day available you have to navigate more than the first floor of the Tartarus, I climbed up to floor 13 and started to grind for some money. I wasn't paying attention to details because of the movie I was watching, and ended up being level 16 with about 88k money. I'm about to go to floor 14 and fight the boss.

Posted

Devil Survivor 2 got unfair at moments.

which parts? honestly, i can think of some. though most of those are the final boss being a dick.

my second time through, t1g had told me about fighting everyone using only the MC and AO. so i did that. then i decided, "hey, im overlevelled, i should just take down the final boss like this!"

then the final boss cockblocked me and nerfed AO, who couldnt damage him anyway. i tried winning using just the MC, but in the end, i had to recruit daichi.

then my third lap (ronaldo route) i decided to pull the two-man final boss run i couldnt do before, and then the final boss just

up and summons three incredibly killable NPCs and tells me to protect them. from around 10ish demons, and five invasion points. i was so glad the suspend save didnt wipe when you loaded it. after re-doing the first part several times to get to the protection round, i finally remembered that existed, and saved myself a bunch of time. somehow, i bloody did it.

theres also the times i was disgustingly overlevelled (my last lap was "no free battles"/"no deaths" because doing both at once was such a good idea) and could (and would) literally one-shot whatever boss was strolling around. exceeeeeeeeeeept for the plot-supported bosses. when they say you have to synchronize your attacks with the other cities' teams, they mean theyll make the boss able to survive everything till that plot point comes. same goes for one of the characters you have to fight if you dont take their route.

they also make it literally impossible to kill the route leaders. ronaldo and yamato dont have death clips, and daichis is resolved via obligatory plot. at least haru was very killable in DS1. probs some others, too, idk. DS2 had a lot of obligatory deployments, too.

im just not a fan of how they handled the character/routes in DS1. i kainda have issues with just looking at stats and deciding how someone will play out on the field, so in that game, it was a sort of battle-tested method i used for who id use and who got benched, but mostly how many enemies anyone could solo. then, when you picked a route, you were suddenly flooded with all these people you had never even used before. at that point, i had about ten or so levels on all the fresh blood.

being able to mix and match who i want on my team throughout DS2 is nice, and i just like the characters better. out of all the DS1 characters, i liked keisuke the most. and its something of a weak like, at best. yuzu and atusro, similarly, i was attached to for being my battle-hardened comrades. maybe its the support conversations, but i got a lot more attached to almost all the DS2 characters, and it gives me something to do on each playthrough.

my first playthrough of DS1 really was fun--seriously, id get all caught up in the game, and with each death clock countdown to the next death/boss, i couldnt put my ds down ("oh gawd whats coming next aaaa"). but when i tried to replay it immediately after finishing, it was just painful. something with knowing the story line and everything about the characters (more or less), having my levels stripped away, but keeping my disgustingly levelled demons, and yuzu going from the yuzu that had adapted to the situation and turned into a healing/draining force to be reckoned with to the yuzu that whines constantly about how uncomfortable the situation makes her, i just couldnt do it. though i still bought overclocked (lol) and played it again then, but it was a while after, and allowed me to sorta forget things, if only a bit.

Posted

!Spoilers for P3P, DeSu 2, and P4A abound!

The parts that seemed really unfair were the following:

Polaris. This is very self explanatory.

It's been long enough so I'll have to describe the bosses:

Aliorth(?) The guy you that had all the poisons in the air and you had to use purifiers. That boss sucked.

Day 7's septentrione. Where you couldn't summon new demons, and it had pacify humans. That got ugly easily.

About in July on P3. I think it's coming along smoothly, and no concerns yet. I'm keeping nicely leveled enough to waste bosses like they mean nothing. I have everything ready to fuse Black Frost once he opens up. Hopefully he'll be as nice as he was to have in P4.

I beat P4A. I have to say it was very interesting. I wonder if the entity at the end was Nycalskfjas(something like that) that opposed Philemon. 

Posted

I feel like this has been brought up before. Pretty sure actually. But i'd totally be down to try the Shin Megami Tensei MMORPG with some of you.

http://megaten.atlusonline.com/

http://youtu.be/oSLVEAsoVTs

It reminds me a bit of Digimon Masters Online, which ive been playing a bit of recently, so i'd really like to try this too.

Posted

http://youtu.be/HEaQ25PKo9w

this game looks really cool with the skill system and alignment system. Bonus points for being a pet raising game too. Not to mention you can take control of the pets directly!

EDIT- okay yes this game is a lot better than i thought it would be.

tumblr_mixklkw4kn1qft31ko1_500.png

Aside from it’s bland graphics, everything else in this game seems pretty awesome. The alignment system, the skill system, and of course, the pet system (probably the biggest feature in the game). If you wanna play with me, my IGN is Larkus and I play on the Cerberus server (only server i think)!

Posted

!Spoilers for P3P, DeSu 2, and P4A abound!

The parts that seemed really unfair were the following:

Polaris. This is very self explanatory.

It's been long enough so I'll have to describe the bosses:

Aliorth(?) The guy you that had all the poisons in the air and you had to use purifiers. That boss sucked.

Day 7's septentrione. Where you couldn't summon new demons, and it had pacify humans. That got ugly easily.

yea, alioth and benetnasch. (when in doubt, wiki the big dipper. the bosses are even in order on that sucker) i dont remember having issues with the purifier, at least, it was never up long enough to run out. maybe ill try fighting him without using it next time, lol. juuuuuuuuust for the shits and giggles. (i mean, ive got demons carrying over at disgusting levels. that alone is enough to break everything)

id always forget that pacify humans meant pacify humans when equipping everyone. so my mag teams would be armed with benetnaschs weaknesses, and then id feel stupid. only the first take or two, though. the concept didnt piss me off quite as much my first time through, but when i played AOs route, my response to it was something like

"pacify humans and things in human form?! oh come on, AO isnt human! puppy you, you cheating whore. "

even though the humans in my teams are undoubtedly grossly broken into absolute wreckers of everything by the time im done with them, my demons are also pretty vicious. but taking out the humans basically cuts my attack power in half. when benetnasch split, though, he didnt last long for much after that.

i think i liked phecda the most. especially the third time through the game (the second time i had a mag build) where i told his all-round immunity to bite me, and proceeded to half-kill him with holy spells before he split. the first time through, though, the moment he split, i got all giddy. he was wrecked shortly afterwards. being weak to phys attacks is not something any boss wants with me around. not since babel, at least.

Aside from it’s bland graphics, everything else in this game seems pretty awesome. The alignment system, the skill system, and of course, the pet system (probably the biggest feature in the game). If you wanna play with me, my IGN is Larkus and I play on the Cerberus server (only server i think)!

i want to. believe me i want to. but i get the feeling that playing SMT would quickly turn into playing "will this game make my computer overheat? Y/N" that, and i dont really have the time to play things right now :< nor the ability to progress through MMOs effectively.

Posted

Probably the best feature of the game is the player base. Ive never be on a kinder server. If you die near players, 4/5 times your gonna get ressied. And then 3/5 times your demon will get a free ressie too! Everyone is talkative and its so easy to grab a party. Man this is so cool.

also the graphics are really bland so i think even a bad computer could run it. but im not sure.

Posted

Probably the best feature of the game is the player base. Ive never be on a kinder server. If you die near players, 4/5 times your gonna get ressied. And then 3/5 times your demon will get a free ressie too! Everyone is talkative and its so easy to grab a party. Man this is so cool.

also the graphics are really bland so i think even a bad computer could run it. but im not sure.

aaaa you make me wanna try QnQ

ill probably talk to earthy about it, since were usually the two people playing together :/ whenever i join an MMO, my play times are different from whenever anyone else plays, so i either wind up soloing, or with DN, playing with earthy. but i think ill download it, and go from there. test out how long i can run it, first.

Posted

YAY! <3

i just hit lv 13 and itd be nice to have a party. I fought a dungeon boss twice and won but only because there was a lv 36 player in our party who told us to hang back haha.

Posted

ohhhh, my school internet is gonna be pissed at me. hahahahahahhaha limited downloads :,<

anyway, gonna run this later tonight, then if all goes well, ill talk to earthy. the problem is that im pretty busy in general, so i probably wont be able to get on much this semester. maybe more during spring break and summer, but ive got a nasty class load atm. but damn if i dont love SMT things.

for party-building purposes, roughly what party role are you playing right now? though since i dont understand/know how the game works, i guess it would be better to ask if youre melee/ranged, offense/defense based, healing capable, etc. ill get it more if/when i run the game, and how i roll in the end depends on that combined with my own playing style, but i still kainda like having a feel for stuff, i guess.

Posted

The game has no classes and "roles" are determined by attribute allocation and which skills you use. As you use a skill it slowly levels up, or you can choose to halt a skill's leveling incase you wanna save points for other skills. I play a basic melee character, but the other 2 main roles are gunner and mage. Of course there are sub types (like shot mage) and hybrids like (melee gunner) which are interesting but everyone says hybrids are bad. I guess cause you wont have enough points to level and of the skills properly.

Then you also have your demons which makes each player their own two person party. I mainly use my first pet, wounded Cerberus, to fight with because its mainly melee and fairly strong and also has a healing spell.

Also, depending on wut kind of demons you hunt not only effects your relationship with your current demons, but also can change your alignment a bit (though the story has a bigger effect on it). Your alignment determines how easy or difficult it is to summon certain demons. A chaos character uses a lot more resources to summon a law type demon and vice-versa. There is also a neutral alignment with it's own set of demons. Everyone starts as neutral.

Hope this helps. Like I said I'm playing a melee. Im using hammers/primitive weapons, but might change to lances or preferably hand-to-hand combat.

EDIT- i guess there isnt a hand-to-hand. wut i saw were tonfas

tonfas.jpg

still might do it but not sure over spears yet.

Posted

On Atlus related media; Conception II was announced for 3DS and Vita. It's too bad that the first never came out of Japan. It looks like Conception could be a very fun game. Since the Vita isn't region locked, I might end up importing it after a few years since I can read basic japanese but still makes me a sad panda.

Posted

Currently downloading the Etrian Odyssey 4 demo from the 3DS shop. The QR code quest system loos interesting so i thought I'd try the game out. Cant afford full retail atm but hopefully this will be fun for now. :>

Posted

EDIT- this game is puppying fun i wish i had monies to buy it now puppy

this music omg im in love

http://youtu.be/kPxokkQlcFc

Posted

ill have to check it out, i think. QR code alone sounds fun QuQ me and my reality-interactions suckerage.