You in any clubs? Societies? Circles?

40 posts in this topic

Posted

Because I just joined the Japanese society at my university. Felt like good topic material.

So yeah, here I am, talking about mine. Japanese club turned out to be a bunch of cool nerds, as I should have guessed. Luckily not a bunch of slavering teenagers with Bleach shirts. Just people who likes anime. Got started by one or two people who found out they could make a club and get given money to fund it. They got given £700, and they spend it on pizza for their occassional anime nights. Otherwise apparently it's just general Japanese related junk, or whatever the hell we want to do for three hours on a Tuesday night. Talking for three hours was what happened this week, but they say they play all sorts of board games like Munchkin. And also Maid Cafe??? Some variation on D&D? Something like that.

Trying to remember what they said their favourite anime was, one said Cardcaptor Sakura, a big German guy who spoke loud and boasted a lot has his favourite anime as being Clannad After Story. There was a guy who had a One Piece shirt, and that was his favourite. They were all tall and older looking than I was, and not really the sorts of people you'd expect to like anime at a glance. My fears were set aside. They were just as normal as the people I tend to like.

I fear that this will be the year that the club will be threatened with being shut down, and we will save it. Like in anime.

But yeah, Japanese society was a success.

That's my bit. How about you guys.

Posted

I am a proud member of the local host club

Chimetals likes this

Posted

There's a big art club at my school called "Ars Nova" that used to be huge, with something like over a hundred members at every meeting something like five years ago. Four years ago, however, leadership changed hands to who was apparently a really really poor leader, so much so that practically the entire club fell apart. Or maybe that was two years ago. The point is last year there was a feint attempt to restore the group with a meeting that had maybe fifteen members show up, with the group being lead by a friend of mine. I only went to one meeting and from what I understand all they've been doing is watching movies, really. I don't blame them. It would be really frustrating if I were expected to make a small club do a bunch of really cool shit and be awesome when it should have just stayed awesome as many years ago before it got a shitty president. I dunno. I'm rambling. Point is if that group were cooler I would be in it.

Posted

OH MY GOD YOU WENT TO JAPANESE SOCIETY

AND THEY PLAY MUNCHKIN AND DND AND SHIT

ONE OF MY FRIENDS GOES TO IT/MAYBE HELPS OUT AT IT???? Jordan? and maybe Cameron? ARE THESE NAMES FAMILIAR. they also introduced me to munchkin (and various tabletops) and god do I hate that game with a passion :[

OH GOD JORDAN LOVES ONE PIECE THAT DUDE WITH THE ONE PIECE T-SHIRT MIGHT HAVE BEEN HIM aaaaaaaaaaaa this is puppying hilarious to me

Posted

Why don't we ever hear stories about things changing hands and becoming better? This is the economic situation I suppose.

Also, I'm not in it, but there's this other society for fighting with swords, like big plastic longswords, and last year they had so many new members that instead of picking and choosing, they just did really intense training for the first several sessions, to weed out the people who weren't strong enough to succeed. So there's something to keep in mind if ever you have a similar problem.

OH MY GOD YOU WENT TO JAPANESE SOCIETY

AND THEY PLAY MUNCHKIN

ONE OF MY FRIENDS GOES TO IT/MAYBE HELPS OUT AT IT???? Jordan? and maybe Cameron? ARE THESE NAMES FAMILIAR. they also introduced me to munchkin and god do I hate that game with a passion :[

OH GOD JORDAN LOVES ONE PIECE THAT DUDE WITH THE ONE PIECE T-SHIRT MIGHT HAVE BEEN HIM aaaaaaaaaaaa this is puppying hilarious to me

Munchkin ffffing rules. Played it before. It's so great.

And it might have been Jordan. I remember going through the Japanese society members on Facebook and one of them was friends with you and Michael Lyon. And since he only had like 100 friends on Facebook, he probably knew you fairly well. Don't know who it was exactly though.

EDIT: And yes, it was actually Cameron. There's a Jordan too, but you're not on his Facebook friends list, so it wouldn't be him.

Posted

Also, I'm not in it, but there's this other society for fighting with swords, like big plastic longswords, and last year they had so many new members that instead of picking and choosing, they just did really intense training for the first several sessions, to weed out the people who weren't strong enough to succeed. So there's something to keep in mind if ever you have a similar problem.

If I were the type to go to clubs and things I would go to this. The most social gathering I regularly attend is when my friends invite me to come hang out at their house though.

Posted

no. Jordan deleted his facebook recently so yeah, it's definitely him if Cameron was there! two of my closest offline friends loooooool

aaaaaaa this is so funny I think I will bring you the next time I go to theirs to play F UCKing MUNCHKIN and various other games!

Posted

Just to make sure: Cameron Barber, right?

Posted

aye that's him

Posted

Sending him a Facebook message explaining the situation :V

(I actually am)

Posted

Lol I've already talked to them about it :V Jordan even said "robbie? ahhh he reminded me of you!" so yeah, clearly it's very obvious we are friends I guess, lol.

Posted

lol okay

I am now one of the gang!

Infiltration successful.

Make him join Hnet.

Also did you mention it to Jordan too?

Posted

No, lol. They're nice and all, but, noooooooo. Having actual offline friends on here would just be so bizarre for me regarding you know, gender shit lol. so no.

Posted

Did wonder. When I was writing a message to him (before I scrapped it since you mentioned you already brought it up with him), I used male pronouns to make suuure.

Posted

woops I sure derailed this thread

maybe I should tag along with one of you to Japanese society next time ~_~ I'm still laughing at this oh god