Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How's school? Timetables? Classes?

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Dawn of the blog/question topics. Another thing I would have mentioned in statuses. But this is a new age.

So yeah, timetables and classes. Throwing in the classes option because that allows for high school people to reply too. I'm really just opening this to talk about my timetable, but for high school people the timetable is pretty bland and uninteresting. Not really much different from the rest of your educational career.

So yeah, my timetable. Mondays and Tuesdays are both 9 to 5, and since my Tuesday now includes Japanese society, Tuesdays have been extended to 9 to 9, with my society being from 6 to 9. Somehow that makes Tuesdays sort of the best. Being busy is a gift sometimes. Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, each have single one hour classes.

But that's just this week. My timetable changes by week, with some lecture series going on every week through to the end of the semester, but some things being just one off classes for a week, or series that only have a slot for three weeks and then slip off the timetable. Shame that I never have a free Monday or Friday though, since this means that I can't go home to visit between now and Christmas. My university doesn't do October holidays, so it's like this. I can't really go on the weekends either, since it's a 7 hour trip there, and a 7 hour trip back. At best I could arrive at home in time for dinner on Saturday, and leave at lunch on Sunday. Not really worth it.

But that's all I have to say about that. For now. Since my timetable changes, I guess I can come back and talk about that too. This might end up being a rants & raves thread, but for now it's kind of general. It can always be moved.

Posted

I actually have to wake up at 7/8 AM four times a week. To make matters worse, it's for math. My schedule this semester is awful like that, especially because it's a M/W/F class, and the only Friday class I have.

Aside from that, most of my classes are on monday and wednesday. Tuesday I have a math class and a coms100 class, thursday I just have the coms class, and friday I just have one math class at eight. In other words I'm usually done with my classes by one oclock, but Given the work load I'm often working late into the night, like I will be tonight.

If any highschoolers read schedules like these and get angry/call college students lucky for only having to take four or five classes and are able to skillfully arrange their schedules to avoid friday classes entirely(three day weekends every week aw ye), don't think it's a luck thing, or good luck at that. College is a lot more work than Highschool was.

Posted

Yeah, college sucks. I have to actually do independent research and stuff outside of class??? So lame. Like, all the lecturers say "You should read up on everything I just threw at you in THESE textbooks." and you've to go and read chapters and take notes on chapters and take notes on what they told you, while they're talking, and then after the lecture's over. And that's just the work required for a single lecture. And I have three lectures on a Tuesday morning, one after the other. Today I had the three lectures in the morning, then a break, then a tutorial, then a three hour practical.

And oh, the practical. The professor hadn't prepared the sheets with the instructions, or the sheets she planned to give us for writing our reports (three reports in the three hours, one for each experiment), so that took off half an hour. Then there was the fact that she's difficult to understand because of her Greek accent. And even if it was easy to understand her, she went over it all so quickly that you didn't realise she'd even said anything. Then being puzzled when you didn't understand. To top it all off, she thought it was going well.

Posted

practically jizzing over the fact that i go to school and do nothing but maths and science all day.

sagusagsadgs i love it

i love 6th form ok

Posted

MATHS AND SCIENCES ARE AWFUL DO ART NERD

Posted

I'm in Art II this year. Working with surreal works and stuff.

Bugs me that I'm one of the few guys in this school who sign up for art to actually make art. Too many idiots that sign up thinking they're getting an easy A.

Posted

I have an interesting schedule this semester, and it's later in the day. I'm in my majors classes, meaning I'm taking three Spanish courses and one education course. And theyre usually only offered in one time slot. Next year I will be into my methods and student teaching.

Monday, Wednesday and Friday I have one class from 1:25 to 2:15. Spanish Dialectology and Variation. it's a linguistic heavy course.

Tuesdays I have three classes. Medieval Spanish literature from 12:30-1:45, then Spanish Pragmatics and Semantics from 2:00-3:15. At 5:00 I have my education course (Sociocultural perspective and diversity in education) and that lasts until 7:00. I hate that class. I have a auburn haired, overly tan, purple clothed new age 40-something hippie for a professor. There is little structure to the class and it drives me nuts.

Thursdays are the same as Tuesdays, minus the education class.

Workload isn't too bad, I can usually get all the homework I need to get done in the morning when I wake up. And I work out then too. and I work out once or twice in the afternoon lol.

Posted

I actually have to wake up at 7/8 AM four times a week. To make matters worse, it's for math. My schedule this semester is awful like that, especially because it's a M/W/F class, and the only Friday class I have.

bitchplease, i get up at 7-730 every day, and have been forcing myself to do so for the weekends, so i dont skew my sleep schedule to nocturnal, and sleep through my alarms again.

i say again, because just yesterday, i slept through three different alarms, one of which was my phone, which was less than four inches from my head.

but i get out at three, except wednesdays and thursdays, when i have discussion for CS classes. the thursday discussion is the worst, its literally speeding through a packet they hand out at the beginning, and takes the whole time, and if you understand the lecture or readings, theres really not much point.

Bugs me that I'm one of the few guys in this school who sign up for art to actually make art. Too many idiots that sign up thinking they're getting an easy A.

my high school ceramics class could be easily divided. there were two islands and an L shape made of desks. one island was (6) art kids (where i sat), the L shape was a bunch of pot smokers (5-6?) and a another guy im not gonna really get into, and then the other island consisted of (4) people you could tell just wanted to get out of spanish. and the two islands were close to each other.

some of the highlights included a girls choices of art, and the simple thought process and execution of your average kindergartener in an art(s and crafts) class. things like "I MADE A TURTLE <33333" and "I SHOULD PAINT THIS PINK AND BLUE AND PURPLE AND MAKE IT PRETTY"

Posted

I just want to show this off again.

It's my art project from last year that made me realize that I really love art.

post-3698-0-02944200-1348626301_thumb.jp

Posted

http://i.imgur.com/mpIsd.png

My schedule is pretty solid and compact. I have a one hour break in between 12 and 1 on MWF. Tuesday I have like fifteen minutes between those times and on Thursday, I only have two classes so I could theoretically sleep in. I have decided to stick with going to bed around 12/1 and waking up at 8, though. On Wednesday, I president our animu club from 3 to 6 though, so it's my weakest study day, other than Friday, when all the stuff in the school closes at 4.

I stay from the end of whatever I have to do that's school related to about 9:30pm in the library every day except Friday to do homework and study. Last semester it was full of a bunch of Asiafolk including myself. Comedically so. I guess they all graduated at the same time, because they don't come around much anymore...

So it's just my Vietnamese friend and I, being the lone Asiafolk...

Posted

I've had pretty weird and full schedules before, compared to my friends outside the music department. This quarter, I'm taking 12 units; this is the bare minimum required to be a full-time student.

I can actually sleep in some days, as I don't have class starting at 8 a.m. every day anymore. As a bonus, I no longer have a 7-hour break between Jazz Band and Piano Class on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I commute to school, so this used to be a major pain.

The schedule I'm attaching only shows my classes that have been determined. I am also in a woodwind ensemble class that has yet to finalize its meeting times. I also take Clarinet and Saxophone lessons, which I make individually with my studio teachers. On Friday at 10 a.m., I have an accompaniment time with our staff piano player in which I play solo clarinet pieces, which I end up performing for a grade in front of judges. Later on Friday at 1p.m., I am sitting in as a volunteer to help out my former piano teacher's piano accompaniment class. Basically, I do what I do earlier with the staff accompanist, but only now with fellow piano students. And they do it for a grade, I just do it for fun and experience.

Oh, and of course, at least three hours of practice each day on clarinet and saxophone apiece. But that is at my leisure. =>

post-792-0-22730500-1348637956_thumb.png

Posted

practically jizzing over the fact that i go to school and do nothing but maths and science all day.

sagusagsadgs i love it

i love 6th form ok

I had this feeling last year...

quickly got bored of the monotony though. Yes I was great at the subjects and liked them, but quickly got bored of days solely of Economics, Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry each day

glad to see you seem happy though

Posted

I'm taking a stats class, a sociology class on minority group relations, two history classes (ancient Greek and Franklin D. Roosevelt's presidency) for my major, and an art history class on American art from 1650-1945 for my minor. The only thing I don't like about my schedule is my four hour gap on Mondays and Wednesdays.

post-4296-0-14512100-1349249707_thumb.pn

Posted

My schedule this semester is fantastic, especially compared to last semester. MWF I have Folklore from 12:40-1:30 and Logic 3-3:50, both of which are rather entertaining classes. TR I have Film Analysis and Calculus III from 9:35-12:25, where Cal III is terrible because my professor is a visiting assistant professor who teaches with proofs and agh. I also have Personal Finance from 6-8:30 on Monday nights and a film screening from 7-9:30 on Thursdays.

Last semester, I was in class from 8 AM to 9 PM every Monday. Tuesdays, I had three labs (Physics, Chemistry, Calculus II). I hated everything.