Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ura Zelda

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Today, while I was browsing r/zelda on reddit.com, I came across a discussion about an Ocarina of Time expansion disk originally planned for the unreleased Nintendo 64DD. Of course, due to the 64DD never being released, "Ura Zelda" never came to be, even after finishing production.

Taken from the Zelda Wikia, http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Ura_Zelda

250px-Ura_Zelda_%28logo%29.png

During the early stages of development, two significantly different Ocarina of Time expansions were planned for the 64DD. One, titled Ura Zelda, would include alternate and more difficult dungeons (such as the Unicorn Fountain) and new enemies, while the other, Zelda Gaiden, would include a different overworld and an entirely new adventure. While Zelda Gaiden would eventually evolve into The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Ura Zelda was never released on the Nintendo 64 as a standalone game.

Apparently, because there was so much demand for it even after the 64DD (and this game) were scrapped, parts of Ura Zelda made it into Ocarina of Time: Master Quest bonus disc for those who preordered The Wind Waker.

The game was not truly ported in the technical sense but merely running under emulation, so there were some noticeable inaccuracies in the presentation of bothOcarina of Time and Master Quest as they appeared on this disc.

However, whether Master Quest is actually the end result of the Ura Zelda project or merely a quick level-edit to quiet demands and entice preorders is a matter of debate among fans. One significant piece of evidence against it being Ura Zelda is that ROM rips of the game show the game to be the same number of megabits in size as a standard Ocarina of Time ROM, whereas the original concept was to include content above and beyond what an N64 cartridge could possibly hold. It also did not contain any of the promised additional enemies.

According to some users on Reddit, there is a fan project that is working to not quite recreate the game, but create a game that uses a lot of ideas that the Ura expansion promised. Looking at the site, it seems that it has been updated fairly recently, so maybe this will be something worth keeping up with.

I looked on the forums here to see if there had ever been any mention or discussion involving Ura Zelda (granted, I didn't look very far) and it seems to me that it is just as unknown to everyone else. What do you guys think?

Agencereurich likes this

Posted

Ewww, Reddit.

At first, I thought this thread was useless discussion about the game that became Master Quest (sort of). I'm pretty sure there's also a beta ROM out there of the 64DD Ura Zelda game or something. I remember seeing something like it.

But then you mentioned the fans recreating it, which seems pretty cool. Hopefully they'll be done with it before this thread dies!

"Q. Will BEN be in this project?

A. While it seemed cool to have the infamous creepypasta reference in the game, sadly, we will not be adding him. At one stage, we were planning to have him as a miniboss, but this idea was scrapped, due to the difficulty involved."

Sometimes, man. Also, the background on the site hurts. One can only hope that the end product as good.

Posted

I think the background looks cool. Good art.

Posted

Never heard of this before. I think I'll look into it.

Posted

aaaaaaaaaaa

uni zelda

university zelda

persona zelda

that would be amazing. A zelda where you have like persona characters except its link and he goes and gets with malon and zelda and saria and all the buzzinezzz

Posted

agreeing