Dark Souls the General Thread

317 posts in this topic

Posted

DARK SOULS 2 ANNOUNCED CHECK THIS POST FOR DETAILS

Y7nIy.jpg

It only just occurred to me there's no Dark Souls thread. So here it is.

And, if you haven't played the game, here's a trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93LFz_j5fQA

BUT WHAT IS DARK SOULS I HEAR YOU STILL ASK?

Well, it's one of my favorite games of all time. Maybe the game. It's environments, it's characters, it's enemies, it's ALL outrageously imaginative, and sucks you in. It's gameplay is so wonderfully addictive that that also sucks you in. Also the soundtrack sucks you in. And the story. Oh my god. In-suck.

I'm trying really hard not to talk about any of it because I don't want to spoil anything for anyone who hasn't played the game. This game is so, so good, and so, so beautiful, but you have to play it to get it.

Also if you're playing it for the first time, I strongly, sincerely recommend you 1) don't play with online mode enabled, keep that offline so you're alone for the whole game, and 2) don't refer to any guides on what to do next. Dark Souls is an endearingly difficult game, but difficult none the less. Even so, if you refer to a guide on how to do something in the game, you're going to spoil more for yourself than just the experience. Also, don't give up. Never give up! Dark Souls is not a game for quitters.

Anyways, Go play it.

Inside the spoiler is jokes you would only get if you played the game (to completion, mind you, so yes there are some serious spoilers in here)

mko5L.jpg

TncLz.png

PmXUV.jpg

t87A8.png

n1dWE.jpg

YBUOX.jpg

tumblr_m9vcdy1di31r9skp9o1_1280.jpg

h9TnD.jpg

PRAISE THE SUN

tumblr_mcd23yFQj11rfu100o1_250.gif

Posted

PS3? Xbox 360? Both?

also it looks really dark and grimy and kinda boring. But that big sword wolf was kinda cool I suppose. :>

Posted (edited)

asioetjmeiuscghlmxismrgjclsg,9,3,cp3kktkwv;,k.

I was going to make this. I was thinking about it today.

Dark Souls. Yes.

In the short while I've played it, it's already shot up to one of my all-time favorite games. The number of times you'll bite the dust will drive you insane at first, but in the end it's all worth it. Just the whole game is amazing and everyone should play it. If you don't, you don't know what you're missing.

Edited by Treemotan (see edit history)

Posted

It's anything but boring, I promise you. Dark and Grimy, sure, but ludicrously creatively so. It's a very different kind of dark and grimy than something like, say, silent hill, or resident evil, or gears of warwait wait wait WAIT

TREEMO PLAYS DARKSOULS

TREEMO YOU'RE COOL OKAY

Seriously, this is a good game. When I first saw this game, I thought "Oh, it's an arcade style dungeon explorer." And that appealed to me. Running through a dungeon, evading traps, killing the monsters inside it, getting to the boss, killing it, and then moving to the next dungeon. That's what I thought this game would be, and in many ways its exactly that. But what makes Dark Souls so special is that there's no set linear path through the game. Or at least, there is one, but it's very vague and open to interpretation. You can go practically anywhere you want, and the only things that will stop you are the monsters. If the monsters are really strong and constantly killing you, you're probably not supposed to go in that direction? But if you're a particularly hardcore player, puppy the rules! You do what you want!

And the story, oh man. Here's the introductory cutscene that plays as soon as you start the game:

When I first saw this, it pretty much confirmed my suspicions. "Yeah, this is a silly arcade game. I mean, what the hell kind of prologue is this? There's no story at all, everything I'm seeing here is just some kind of goofy back story the makers of the game put in for that campy arcade atmosphere. Who cares. I'm gonna go dungeon diving."

I won't go into why I was wrong, but I was wrong. DEAD wrong. Like a hundred wrongs.

MbFuF.jpg

This game, man. This game.

Posted

The atmosphere really melds well with the setting and story. At first I kind of hated the dinginess, but once everything gets rolling you realize how lovely it is behind the sucky exterior and see how much everything's gone to crap.

Posted

I KNOW

I KNOW

ITS BEAUTIFUL

Posted

It looks like it'd be funner if it was bright and pretty and have flowers and trees and giant mushrooms and stuff.

Posted

It looks like it'd be funner if it was bright and pretty and have flowers and trees and giant mushrooms and stuff.

It actually has all of those things.

Its art direction is reminiscent of gears of war

LEAVE NOW AND NEVER RETURN

TIerkreiss15 likes this

Posted

The whole world is essentially on the verge of the fall of man, is overrun by what are essentially zombies, and everything's trying to kill you. It's not going have a very happy atmosphere (usually).

Posted

first you make me watch Berserk, now you're wanting me to play Dark Souls, what's gonna be next huh, huh PUNK

pheo stop trying to depress me ok

Posted

You want me to watch community on top of whatever that other show was

Posted

Community is the best. This is now a Community thread.

So community season 4 starts on Feb 7th. Feb 7th is the new Oct 19th!

Posted

Posted

wut?

Posted

In the game, when you have humanity (its a game mechanic), you can find "summon signs" (game mechanic) on the ground. They can belong to either NPC's or Human players, which is the game's form of multiplayer. Iron knight Tarkus is one of the most famous NPC summons, as he's able to be summoned just before the boss fight with the boss you saw up there. What makes him so special is that

1. This is the only time in the game you have any contact with him, and

2. He is completely capable of killing the boss entirely on his own.

Which is funny, that they put a boss in the game you have the option skip entirely just by watching an NPC do it.

Tarkus is really famous for being able to take on a boss like that, given that no other NPC ever does that. "TARKUUUUUUS" etc.

tumblr_m2lum5AmUu1qhxeoto1_500.png