Dark Souls the General Thread

317 posts in this topic

Posted

Can I be a mage in Dark Souls?

How versatile is this character customization system?

Posted

You can be a mage. Ultimately, I'd say using magic is easier in the long run (at least, it was in Demon's Souls) but you'll have a damn hard time starting out, because you won't really get used to the flow of combat. There's a lot of rolling, jumping, blocking, swinging, etc. that you really need to get the hang of. 

Dark Souls is the closest thing we have in video games to actual sword fighting.

Posted

Dark Souls is the closest thing we have in video games to actual sword fighting.

Yeah. I'm not a seasoned pvper by any means, but I you can see lots of dark souls PVP on youtube, and a lot of it is melee vs melee. If there's ever any arrow or magic combat, that's stuff that's added to a character build but not based on it. Yes there's lots of magic to be used in pvp, but you cant go all the way from one bonfire to the next only using magic. You dont play Dark Souls as a pure mage or a pure archer or something. But you can make a pretty good gandalf. Make sense?

Also, there's three different types of magic, you might say: Pyromancy (This is the path rika chose), Magic, and Miracles. I think the DLC introduced a fourth type (Dark?), but I can't say for sure. I've been really avoiding DLC information.

I should also point out that, you know, Rika has this game, and you can probably play through with her together if you pick up a copy of the game on the same console she has. If I remember correctly she hasn't quite finished the game either.

Posted

Personally, I started out as a Knight, but gradually started becoming a magic knight. Your class only really determines what you are at the beginning. How you build from there is completely up to you.

Posted

Yeah. Right now Saha still needs to figure that out. He came to my house the other day all ready to play this game, and he wasn't really taking the best approach. First he decided he was going to play through the entire game dual wielding shields, but when that fell through he listened to t1g talk about some robes he might be able to find midway through the game that, combined with a couple choice spells, he could give the impression that he was one of those death eaters from Harry Potter.

Forgoing how annoyingly popular that get up is for themed PVP builds (Witch of Izalith Robes and Pyromancy, with a scythe if anything because ooooh grim reaper), Saha hasn't quite accepted that he can't go planning builds like this without having played through the game before. Saha, if you really want to get the best experience out of Dark Souls, you need to forget worrying about what you could be based on what people tell you about the game, and instead go about it all on your own. Pick a starting class you find the most appealing, and shape it as you see fit. You'll learn to play through the entire game based around your own play style and armor set, all the while discovering and puzzling and slaughtering and shit.

Like Treemo said, she started playing as a knight, the atypical heavy tank class, then ended up being a magic knight. I started out as the bandit, the hard hitting quick moving axe wielding melee class, but ended up being a total tank with greatswords. T1G started as a thief with a dagger and ended with a spear. Everyone here who's played the game can tell you about how they learned how to play like that. And, now that I've finished the game once, I started a file I decided I'd use specifically for online play, with a build I've designed to be as close to a level 125 Lady of the Darkmoon as I can get(She's a character you meet midway through the game, it'll make by the time you meet her). You see a lot of people RPing characters from the game like that.

In the end, you just don't need to concern yourself with goofy runs like dual shields or RP runs like death eaters with your first run through the game. Frankly, T1g hasn't even beaten the game, let alone seen it's more exotic armor sets that I think you'll find much more appealing, if you're looking for strange. Just take it slow and get to know your preferred play style. You can mix it up later.

Posted

Just read through this thread. This game does sound really intriguing, since I'm no stranger to dying a ton in games, but I've been told its wonderfully difficult and not really for the casual gamer. So I'd probably not do so great lol

Posted

The thing is, everyone's on equal footing with Dark Souls. It's hard for everyone. 

Until you learn. Just like in real life, knowledge and training breed success when applied with courage and will. You have to put in the time and effort needed to beat the game. You also can't quit when it gets hard, because the game isn't hard because it's cheap. The game is hard because you just aren't good enough. Yet. With practice you get better and eventually you will overcome each obstacle in the game.

Posted

Chase is right, Cirt. This isn't a game where you're an awful person if you die fifty times trying to just reach a boss. This is a game that tests you to see how willing you are to overcome your next obstacle. The very first time I ever fought the game's first boss, it took me at least two hours to beat it, before I realized there was a much easier way to do it. You shouldn't be turned off from this game just because it can be very trying.

Posted

Yeah. Right now Saha still needs to figure that out. He came to my house the other day all ready to play this game, and he wasn't really taking the best approach. First he decided he was going to play through the entire game dual wielding shields, but when that fell through he listened to t1g talk about some robes he might be able to find midway through the game that, combined with a couple choice spells, he could give the impression that he was one of those death eaters from Harry Potter.

Saha, if you really want to get the best experience out of Dark Souls, you need to forget worrying about what you could be based on what people tell you about the game, and instead go about it all on your own. Pick a starting class you find the most appealing, and shape it as you see fit.

In the end, you just don't need to concern yourself with goofy runs like dual shields or RP runs like death eaters with your first run through the game.

Well first of all, my first character was just a thief because I like to run around a lot and be quick about things. If I wanted to go full-on goofy run I would be using fist weapons, but I actually looked at the availability of fist weapons and decided it would be boring if it really required me to work to survive while using them. Especially because I can't go bare-fisted, and because the fist weapons were so limited. THEN I decided to dual wield shields, not necessarily because it was ridiculous, but just because I actually have that capability, where in other games, I am woefully without it. So when I saw that you could do it, I thought it was awesome and wondered how it would work out.

T1g absolutely did not influence my curiosity in making a Dementor character (Death Eaters are regular wizards), I actually asked him after playing for awhile if there was some kind of combat tree specialized in sucking souls out of things, because souls are a tangible, manipulable thing, apparently. I was reminded of Dementors after seeing him pick up souls off a dead guy for the umpteenth time, and then I asked if there were any robes that would fit the look, and then he showed me and I was impressed with how much they actually looked like Dementor robes. My next question was if there was an ability that let you float around. I prompted him, not the other way around.

I was shaping a character that I wanted to see play out the whole time. That's always what I do in video games. I find silly things really, really amusing in video games, especially when I can get away with them. I learned that I cannot get away with silly things in Dark Souls, and I'll die pretty quickly if I'm dual wielding shields, even if I'm a tank. So the effort wasn't worth it, and I switched back to the morning star I had. Like sure, if I hear something that sounds appealing, I'll go for it, but I'd much rather work out something on my own. You are assuming things about what I did.

I want to play the game to the end, and I'm doing it a lot more safely and seriously than I do in other video games, because if I don't, then it's not fun. Dark Souls doesn't have a manipulable engine or over-the-top bugs that I can find new ways to exploit. It's much slower and grimmer and less empowered than that, and I realize that that's an appeal as to why the game is good. Its difficulty is refreshing, and death might punish you, but you can always get back up and try again. It's been fun so far, so I'd appreciate it if you left me to my own designs when playing it.

I have the ability to learn things on my own.

Posted

PHEO.

PHEO GUESS WHAT.

I GOT IT.

I GOT THE DARK THE DARK SOULS.

GON PLAY IT SOON.

TIerkreiss15 likes this

Posted

BE CAREFUL DONT GIVE UP STAY OFFLINE FOR YOUR FIRST TIME DONT CHEAT ETC

Posted

Beat the game first

Then cheat.

Posted

I FIIIIIINALLY got to the point in this game where I can access the prepare to die dlc. I was sort of hoping for some reason that I could just buy it and play it right from the beginning, but I soon figured out that wasn't exactly the case. Anyways, I spent about an hour and a half trying to kill artorias (finally succeeded).

I should mention, the art for the dlc actually pays homage to Berserk through one of the issue's covers:

Artorias%20and%20Guts.jpg

I think its pretty cool that two things I like a lot are related like that. It's not exactly hard to draw parallels between the two, either.

Posted

I give you Pheonix561: BERSERK BERSERK DARK SOULS OH MY puppyING GOD DARK SOULS

DID YOU SAY VRISKA

puppyING

VRISKA

DR SHRUBBERY! likes this

Posted

I will destroy you