Rooster Teeth

141 posts in this topic

Posted

GET OUT

Posted

"look at me I'm pheo. I make broad, sweeping generalizations about media I don't know anything about!"

Posted

I would like to be clear in that I am sure that both of you are roughly at the same amount of douchery as far as generalizations go. Now, the only thing I'm waiting for is for you two to have that sickening heart-to-heart that you both should really have some time in your lives.

Posted

I'LL PLAY IT WHEN I'M GOOD AND READY

Posted

No, seriously, there's a thread for this.

Posted

yeah but pheo likes to avoid it at any cost. just like the game

Posted

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/the-beast-is-unleashed-capcoms-seth-killian-explains-the-most-famous-minute

I want you to read this entire article and then tell me why it is people play games like skullgirls

Okay, look. I'm not sitting here "everyone likes streetfighter and skullgirls and so on for bouncing tits" understand? I'm not saying this is why people like fighting games. I'm talking about character design and story and shit. Stuff that, right now, is completely unrelated to gameplay. I'll admit that I don't know much about the tekken universe. But I remember seeing that review you showed me of the tekken movie thing, and how awful it was, though it wasn't hard to see how awful that movie would have been either as a fan of the series or as someone new to it, even without the review over it. But that movie doesn't mean the games are bad. If Tekken is popular, it's because of the gameplay.

All too often in entertainment a woman is presented as a sex object. We could go into why, or how, or who that's marketed towards, and so on, but right now we're trying to be focused on the way people view that fact. Some people think the only people video games are marketed towards, or should be marketed towards, are men, when the audience today is at best 60/40 men, maybe smaller. And attitudes like that tend to bleed into the game design process, if you haven't noticed. Once again, this is nothing new. I mentioned recently in the serious discussions thread in a long rambling post about 4chan that I used to be a regular on 4chan's /ic/ (drawing and critique) board, because it's really difficult to find good drawing communities online. I also mentioned I left that board when, in a character design appreciation/discussion thread that I started, someone tried to convince me that Red Sonja was "interesting and functional character design." They were sadly serious. And for reference, here's an image of Red Sonja:

Red_Sonja_by_anjum.jpg

The whole point she dresses like that is "to draw out the rapists so she can murder them." That's the only reason I've ever heard from anyone. I hear enough about red sonja and conan the barbarian to concede that sure, there might be an interesting story following them(yet another thing I haven't read), but it's not hard to see that this character is still designed to get men to read it. What makes me the most depressed about it, though, is that no one I've ever talked to about it has ever mentioned the famous(ish) topless duel between two noblewomen of the late nineteenth century, which was fought topless because they didn't want to risk infection, which was leagues less treatable than it is today. If she were really interested in fighting rapists and not getting infected from her clothes at the same time, she would probably just fight completely naked, but apparently nobody writing her thought of that. Or maybe they did. Like I said, I haven't read it. But my point is, treating women as sex objects is nothing new. And the big issue with that in regards to the matter at hand is that people apparently think that that's completely necessary for a successful game, or should be treated like the industry standard, and that anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot, and so on. If you want any more examples from fighting games, just take a look at Dark Stalker's Felicia:

Darkstalkers-felicia.png

Felicia is a cute-faced, curvacious "bakeneko". As such, she has cat ears, pointed teeth, a tail, and oversized hands and feet that resemble a cat's paws complete with sharp claws that she uses in battle. She also has a heavy mane of long blue hair, blue eyes, and an "outfit" that consists primarily of thin strips of skintight white fur that leave her largely nude except that which partially cover her breasts, portions of her stomach and hips, and forms panty-like bottoms as well as covering her arms and legs. Felicia is 40-year-old in cat years, and seven in human years, but she still has the appearance of a 20-year-old young woman. Her name means "happy things" in Latin.

I'm sure she has a wonderful back story and all, but I sincerely doubt it's enough to make her actually interesting.

My point about skull girls is that you can tell the studio takes that idea, that the women in these fighting games or in media in generally absolutely need to be sexy first and foremost completely differently. Yes, those characters are still in the game, at a glance. But it's nothing like these other games where it's just "wow and this is the sexy character," except, once again, maybe nurse valentine, who frankly comes across more as unnerving and intimidating than sexy. I look at skullgirls and I see really creative people like Alex Ahad, who take that whole idea and use it as a front to let themselves really get to work and have fun with what they do. Nobody who is working on skullgirls is actively shoehorning girls into sexy roles or anything. They're actually making really outrageously creative and intuitive and inspiring designs and characters and settings and things. This is why I called skullgirls a "celebration of fighting games." Because everyone working on that game clearly loves what they're doing a whole lot, or at least likes it enough to keep wanting to find a way work on it after their producers dropped them (which I'm sure they're currently really regretting a whole lot). Understand?

Once again, all of this is leaving skullgirl's gameplay completely untouched. I'm sure it's puppying fantastic once you really get into it, though the chances of that ever happening for me are pretty low because it's not for mac and I don't have my own console anymore. I'm just talking about the execution of the visual design, how it features scantily clad buxom babes whenever it wants to without being shitty about it. Get me?

Posted

why did you post this in RWBY i thought we were done posting about skullgirls in RWBY

Posted

GET OUT OF MY LIFE YOU DICK

Posted

Both of you, leave.

Before I flood this place with shitty fanart

Posted

so we can all agree that yang is the best character

Posted

Agreed (so far).

Posted

I will always wish to have an epic magic battle just like Glynda

Posted