Rooster Teeth

141 posts in this topic

Posted

THIS WAS ORIGINALLY JUST A "RWBY" THREAD BUT NOW ITS FOR ALL ROOSTER TEETH CONTENT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYW2GmHB5xs

This is a video that played after the credits at the Red vs Blue season 10 finale, on monday night. It's not entirely clear what they're planning, but it is what it is. RWBY very likely stands for "Red White Black Yellow," though the other characters in that line up have yet to be released.

This is a big step from Rooster Teeth's typical production, Red vs Blue. If you're unfamiliar, Red vs Blue is a machinima made using Halo games, starting from Halo: Combat Evolved and moving on along with the series as it evolves, through Halo 2, 3, Reach, and most recently Halo 4, with some appearances from Halo: ODST, and even a few of Bungie's earlier games, such as Marathon. Red vs Blue is credited with being the most popular and successful machinima series ever made, so much so that to support the series, Bungie actually went so far as to include a "stop aiming your rifle" button combination in Halo 3, to make it so Rooster Teeth could film characters talking to each other without them constantly pointing rifles at each other.

Red vs Blue almost had it's own animated series(seen below), likely to air on G4, but the project was canceled in favor of staying true to their machinima roots, and instead made higher quality 3D animation in their regular series, which it is known for today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW2ZMRt7i_I

(Note: In the animated series, Tex and Sarge are both kidnapped. Personally, I speculate that they originally had plans to make Sarge a Freelancer just as they did Tex, for one reason or another, though apparently that idea was scrapped during the production of season 6).

The point is, this new RWBY series is a very big step from what Rooster Teeth is accustomed to doing. Not only is this entirely independent animation without using any videogame, it's nothing to do with Halo, or any of their previous series.

Personally, I'm conflicted. I don't know if there's going to be a season eleven of RVB or not, especially given how season ten ended, but I know I wouldn't mind seeing one. On top of that, I'm not sure I like how this series looks. It's a pretty blatant little red riding hood thing going on, and we've seen "hardcore remakes" of characters like this a hundred times over. Yellow is probably Goldilocks and fights bears. White is probably snow white and has animals or something. Black is the same shit. The lyrics in the song are unemotional and typical. The designs are generic and boring. It looks like a very average anime about adolescent magical girls, which I guess they want to make. I'm going to forgive their sound quality, because it looks like they're very early in the development of the whatever it is.

To their credit, however, if they really wanted to stay a successful studio then they needed to break out of halo's shadow eventually. On top of that, if there's anything Rooster Teeth does well, its their fight scenes. They're responsible for some of the most over the top fight scenes I've seen in any video game or the like.

Thoughts?

Posted

The top video looks kinda dumb. Animu girls with cool guns, how original.

Posted

The song definitely made me flinch the most. It's pretty much a cheap imitation of the graphics of journey mixed with a hundred different anime stereotypes. But Rooster Teeth has a long history of having really good fight scenes and I know that if this show turns out to be as bad as I think it'll be, then at least it will have good fight scenes(a big part of me thinks its going to be a game, too).

I always sort of told myself that when I got a job working in videogames somewhere, if I got especially good and successful at it I would approach roosterteeth and ask them if they wanted to make a game or something independent of Halo, because I was pretty sure we both knew that they could never stay in that shadow forever. But it looks like they figured that out just the same.

LL, if you're willing to watch it, there's a particularly good (and also sort of famous) fight scene from an episode that's a couple years old now, right here:

Posted

personally i dont really mind the fact that they are doing something new. They have the technology, they might as well use it for things.

As for the Little Red thing, yeah that is pretty stupid and overdone but whatever I am willing to let it slide, assuming they actually do a good job with it. We shouldn't be harsh on it yet, because they have not actually done something like this before, so they have a pretty clean slate and a pretty good set if talent working on it. If anyone could make this not terrible its them.

Also I would totally want to watch Goldilocks fist fight bears.

Posted

Oh i forgot to mention it but the wolves are totally from skyrim

Posted

So I wasn't really planning on bumping this thread, but I figured this out today so I thought I'd mention it. It turns out a lot of the fight scenes and animations in RvB were coordinated and animated by Monty Oum, which actually explains a lot. If you don't know Monty Oum, you can basically sum up his entire animation career as "Kung Fu Super Saiyan Bikini Models." He's responsible for Haloid, if you remember it:

in which he likes the idea of sexy women killing hordes of enemies so much he actually turned master chief into a girl just to make that happen. He also did the Dead Fantasy series, which is basically the same thing but on a larger scale; seven or eight scantily clad girls from various video games converging at the same place for over the top kung fu battle. Which means its no surprise that he's the one who's been animating Red vs Blue's freelancer fight scenes, and it also explains why most of, if not all of the toughest freelancers are women. That was something that bothered me about the series: All the male freelancers were really laid back agreeable team working guys, and all the women were outrageously competitive.

The point is, it's why RWBY is something Rooster Teeth is doing at all; It's Monty Oum's thing. And since he's the one doing it, it's about a bunch of kung fu super saiyan bikini models.

Posted

just because he coordinates the fight scenes does not mean he writes the story

Posted

Red's rythe is totally cool thought most of you will probably say something along the lines of "ooo red and black ooo scythe so cool /sarcasm."

Anyway have some White and Black just because this thread exists

Posted

Yeah, I think black has been out for about a month. I guess there's no word on yellow yet, though I get the impression they're just released as monty finishes them. Still really hoping it's goldilocks fist fighting bears.

Posted

Which is to say Cascade punching Osbears

"

JEFF WILLIAMS FEAT. CASEY LEE WILLIAMS lyrics : 
"Red Like Roses"

Red like roses fills my dreams and brings me to the place you rest
White is cold and always yearning burdened by a royal test
Black the beast descends from shadows
Yellow beauty burns gold

"

"Yellow beauty burns gold"

You have Goldilocks. You can at least have that much.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

THE Osbear, I believe you mean

Posted (edited)

I also consider the Rythe sort of clever since it makes up for Red's lack of raw power. Same to Blake's Chain Scythe (Google: kusarigama).

Edited by 2jo4 (see edit history)

Posted

is that what black was using? i got really confused on what her weapon was by the end of it

Posted

Officially it's a Variant Ballistic Chain Scythe but it's probably based off that, yeah. 

Posted

Yellow's out.

The voice acting is still pretty meeeeehhh

Suddenly, I don't know about Goldilocks

Might be Cinderella now :/