Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Link is a WOMAN

8 posts in this topic

Posted

AND ALL THAT CHANGES IS PRONOUNS

8165622322_4b354d4d35_b.jpg

It's a blog post written by a dad who wanted his daughter to know she could grow up to save the world even though she was a girl. So he modded Wind Waker to refer to Link as a she.

The Legend of Zelda series isn't especially known for having weaker female rolls, and while there are games with exceptions to this rule, Wind Waker certainly isn't one of them. Even so, this guy really wanted to let his daughter know she could be just like link, and gender changes nothing.

Apparently, all he changed were the pronouns that refer to link as a boy. Which is fair, I guess, given that link is give or take ten or twelve years old during the course of the game, and hasn't quite hit puberty yet, and he runs around in a skirt anyways so why not just write him off as androgynous?

8372.link_and_the_wind_waker.jpg

If you take a second look, or if you showed this to someone who had never heard of the zelda series and told them this was a girl, they'd probably believe you, rigth?

It's not an entirely perfect translation. After all, the game spent years in production with everyone working on it writing the game for Link to be a boy, so some things are a little harder to change. As he writes in the post,

I think I’ve gotten this right – this was all done directly on the original disk image with a hex editor, so all the changes needed to be the same byte-for-byte length, in-place. I haven’t had time to play through the whole game to test it yet, and some of the constructions aren’t perfect. I’ve borrowed Donaldson’s “Swordmain” coinage to replace “Swordsman”, for example, and there’s lots of “milady” replacing “my lad” and “master”, because I couldn’t find a better way to rewrite them in exactly the amount of space allotted. If you come up with something better, I’m all ears.

Not to mention, he's making a bunch of sounds a male would make. I'm not saying girls can't make the same grunts and things, but if I saw a female link I would probably expect her to sound more like Medli. To be honest though, I think I like the idea of a tomboy link more.

Of course, given how popular this has gotten, I wouldn't be surprised if people started doing things like modding OoT to make Link a girl, or even skyward sword. In fact, I'd actually be surprised if somebody hasn't done that already, to OoT.

Posted

Link is a boy, the girl will be delusional about it, it was a very sweet but rather stupid thing to do, oh well.

Posted

im a traditionalist in the sense that i just grew up with link being a guy, but i like the idea.

the development of personality basically wraps up around the age of seven, so by the time she can read, having that strong female figure in the sea of strong male figures and sex appeal female leads will have already affected her personality in whatever way it will. imo, shell probably be better off with that sort of strong female figure than without.

Posted

People who try to fight gender roles always have the most fallacious logic. They start off with a generally reasonable point and then end up forgetting what their own point is. They try to show how genders aren't locked into any kind of pre-determined lifestyle/role. And they're right. They're right without having to lift a self-righteous finger. A child doesn't need people on the Internet bickering like idiots so that the child can do what it wants. If a kid wants to have a female role model, it's fine and it always has been.

The child may run into people who disagree with the role model's influence. But it's not the end of the world. There will always be people who are nosy and want to control what people enjoy and look up to. Those people will always exist, but if someone likes something then it shouldn't matter what others think. So this is where all of the bandwagoning gender freedom fighters are going wrong. They must think that they should fight gender role propaganda with their propaganda, which will never be any kind of correct. They miss their own point entirely. Instead of saying "hey children be free from labels that people impress upon you" (which doesn't even NEED to be said, as it goes without saying), they are basically saying, "hey children, pick one of these two options: traditional gender roles or reversed gender roles". When people try to blatantly rebel from gender roles for the sake of rebelling they only affirm traditional gender roles and call attention to trivial details. They are by no means helping someone with a female role model. They are actually saying that there's something inherently wrong with having a female role model. It's really condescending and nosy to learn that a child has a female role model and say "oh you poor hopeless child, let me start an Internet movement so that you'll never ever get your feelings hurt".

In this case, a dad replaces the pronouns in a video game in an effort to show that girls can save the world, too. It's a good thing that the fact that link has a theoretical dick is the only allowing him to save the world. What if the girl wanted to have a male role model?

It's always been perfectly okay for people to do what they want and there will always adversity in almost anything a person does.

I truly believe that this dad was thinking about how tumblr famous he'd be for 15 minutes instead of his daughter's emotional well being. He missed any point he was even pretending to make. So in my opinion, a waste of time. The self-righteous dad missed any point he had originally started out with. Caught up in a hot topic/"like"-grab of the Internet.

I wasn't going to post in this thread.

But god dammit.

This is such a near-perfect view on the matter

LL I commend you.

Posted

I think it was a sweet thing to do, but it got publicity from the people who wanted to hear it/eat that stuff up and they decided to read into it more than it actually was.

Posted

Good work LL

Posted

I'm pretty sure what he did was illegal anyway due to copyright law.

I think as long as he doesn't try to sell it he will be okay.

Posted

People who try to fight gender roles always have the most fallacious logic. They start off with a generally reasonable point and then end up forgetting what their own point is. They try to show how genders aren't locked into any kind of pre-determined lifestyle/role. And they're right. They're right without having to lift a self-righteous finger. A child doesn't need people on the Internet bickering like idiots so that the child can do what it wants. If a kid wants to have a female role model, it's fine and it always has been.

The child may run into people who disagree with the role model's influence. But it's not the end of the world. There will always be people who are nosy and want to control what people enjoy and look up to. Those people will always exist, but if someone likes something then it shouldn't matter what others think. So this is where all of the bandwagoning gender freedom fighters are going wrong. They must think that they should fight gender role propaganda with their propaganda, which will never be any kind of correct. They miss their own point entirely. Instead of saying "hey children be free from labels that people impress upon you" (which doesn't even NEED to be said, as it goes without saying), they are basically saying, "hey children, pick one of these two options: traditional gender roles or reversed gender roles". When people try to blatantly rebel from gender roles for the sake of rebelling they only affirm traditional gender roles and call attention to trivial details. They are by no means helping someone with a female role model. They are actually saying that there's something inherently wrong with having a female role model. It's really condescending and nosy to learn that a child has a female role model and say "oh you poor hopeless child, let me start an Internet movement so that you'll never ever get your feelings hurt".

In this case, a dad replaces the pronouns in a video game in an effort to show that girls can save the world, too. It's a good thing that the fact that link has a theoretical dick is the only allowing him to save the world. What if the girl wanted to have a male role model?

It's always been perfectly okay for people to do what they want and there will always adversity in almost anything a person does.

I truly believe that this dad was thinking about how tumblr famous he'd be for 15 minutes instead of his daughter's emotional well being. He missed any point he was even pretending to make. So in my opinion, a waste of time. The self-righteous dad missed any point he had originally started out with. Caught up in a hot topic/"like"-grab of the Internet.

somehow in that tumblr post, i missed the potential it had as a fame grab. basically, i just didnt think of it, so its a good perspective point.

i still think its a cute idea, but yeah, its probably already been eaten up by the internet.