Adventure in Skyloft

451 posts in this topic

Posted

(Me too, it's your turn now Nayru ;) )

A chill goes down my spine. I'm not afraid to admit it, but I am terrified. I move until I'm behind Link, which might seem like I'm a coward, but really I'm just scared to death. 

"Just let us go!" Callia yells. 

"You kids really think it would be that easy?" Ghirahim spats. 

"Then let me fight you!" Link yells, trembling with anger.

"What?" I hiss. "No! That's just stupid!" 

But he just ignores me and continues to yell. 

"Let me out to fight you!" Link repeats.

Ghirahim laughs. "I'm afraid that's not an option, sky child." 

"YOU'RE A COWARD!" Link screams as loud as he can. 

Posted

(I'm sorry, it's long again! I got too excited :( )

Upon hearing Link's declaration, Ghirahim's sadistic delight suddenly vanishes, and his face drops to a terrifyingly neutral expression. A few moments of silence pass between us all, in which the Demon Lord reaches up two pale fingers, snapping them and appearing withing Link and Bryarly's cell. He takes one calm step towards Link, who reaches instinctively for his sword, only to realise that it's not there.
"What have you done with Fi?" he breathes. But he barely manages to finish his sentence before Ghirahim lashes out, grabbing a fistful of Link's blonde hair and dragging him towards him. "You'd be wise to watch your tongue child," Ghirahim spits, his face just inches from Links. "I've got a hoard of Demons awaiting me atop the volcano... they're all here to decide your fate!"
Suddenly Ghirahim vanishes, causing Link to drop down to the floor with a heavy thump. He grimaces as he rubs his obviously sore scalp. "My... what?" he breathes, as the Demon Lord appears again, just a few steps away from me. I scuttle back, pressing my back up against the wall.
He smirks. "I couldn't let the goddesses precious little hero carry merrily on his way, now could I? So I ordered a meeting of the most powerful Demons in society, organised the eruption of the volcano, and took your pathetic little friend as bate. And tonight, we're going to decide once and for all what to do with you, and your irritating little friends."
I swallow hard.
Ghirahim lets out a grim smile, turning to face Zurin, who's kneeling on the ground. "And as for you, I'll leave you at the mercy of our master."
Zurin scowls. "I would sooner die than admit Demise my master again."
"That can be arranged," the Demon lord grins. "Though I fail to see why you're still resisting, you could be so much more comfortable sat among the high standing demons of society. Yet you chose to squalor in dirt with your weak little friends..."
Zurin glances nervously to me for a moment.
The corner of Ghirahim's mouth twitches up. "Except... they're not all your friends, are they? You've kept the companionship of the yellow-clad nuisance and his orange haired friend... maybe even your precious hero and stupid accomplice will defend  you. But what of the girl trembling behind her beloved hero? Or the smart little pest..." he turns to me, giving me a most patronizing look. "Did you tell him how terrified you are? Do you talk of your nightmares?"
My stomach aches like he just kicked me in the gut.
"I thought not," he whispers smugly.
"How do you know all of that?" Link asks, gripping the green bars of his cage.
Ghirahim vanishes, reappearing in the central room. "Don't be so naive to think I haven't been watching you. I've got eyes everywhere... now if you'll excuse me, I've got a meeting to attend to. I'll see to you lot later."
He turns, as if to go, before glancing back again. "Oh, and don't bother trying to escape. Your prisons are securely locked, I've got guards posted just outside your door, and your gear has been spread all around Eldin. It would take you all day to collect it all... by which time we'd have caught you." He smirks. "Have fun..."
And with that, he vanishes.

Posted

((Nayru this is awesome! Excellent job :D ))

After Ghirahim leaves, everyone looks rightly terrified. It's times like this where Zurin appreciated his cowl; putting his emotions on display feels so unpleasant, even around his friends. Nonetheless, something needs to be done, and Ghirahim has unwittingly provided the opportunity. "...he really doesn't understand that people are capable of selflessness. Hmph, all the better for us." Zurin quips before teleporting out of the room and behind one of the guards. He quickly gives him a hard kick to the neck, grabs the crippled bokoblin's club, and bashes the second guard. He doesn't know if everyone is shocked or just still afraid from that repugnant Demon Lord's bluffing, but that doesn't stop him from starting the next, more painful step in their escape.

"Ghirahim has taken my gloves and cowl for more than psychological reasons; they're protection for my face and hands so I don't burn myself when I practice magic. Teleporting will not hurt me, but melting these bars is going to produce some nasty deformities." Zurin said with as much indifference as he could. Surely enough, as he began to eliminate the grating of Link and Byarly's cage with intense flames, blisters started to form on his hands almost immediately. He gritted his teeth but kept going until the bars were all gone. "He thinks this will dissuade me from using fire to save you all, because I will be hurt in the process." Zurin explained. "The idea that I would sacrifice even such a small thing as the skin of my hands is completely alien to his mind. A side effect of inheriting all the nastiest parts of my soul I suppose..."

He does the same for all four prison cages, giving himself strong burns on his hands and even a few minor scorches on his arms and head. All his friends were now freed, and the way out unguarded, but he didn't think he would be practicing any more pyromancy until his gloves were returned. 

Posted

((Thank you! *whispers* there's four prison cages, not three...))

Once all the prison bars have melted, we all gingerly make our way out of the cells, joining Zurin in the central room. Bryarly and I set to work waking up Karane, Pipit, Fledge and Emzy who are still unconscious. Link, meanwhile, rushes over to Zurin to examine his hands.

"What happened?" Pipit mumbles as he sits upright, rubbing his head and squinting.

"There's no time to explain," Bryarly says. "Come on, hurry, we've got to get out of here..."

"Zurin..." Link mumbles. "These burns... they're the worst I've seen..."

"Don't think about it," Zurin says. "We've got to find a way to get all our gear back, as well as finding the fire Dragon."

"I'm serious!" Link replies. "Callia, come and look..."

I turn to look at him as I pull Karane to her feet. My stomach churns, and I make sure Karane's steady before walking over. Even as I approach, I can see the blisters and scorch marks, the deep groves that run along his palms from the intense flames. Link wasn't wrong...

"Is there anything you can do for him?" Link asks.

Zurin doesn't say anything, though he looks thoroughly uncomfortable. I don't know what to say. I don't really know what to do. It's not that I want him to suffer... honestly I don't even know what I feel. All I know is that I'm scared, scared stiff, of him and what he's capable of, of what he's done. And I'm frightened that I'm never going to shake this feeling.

"There's nothing I can do here," I say. "We'll have to wait until we get back to Skyloft."

"There's no way to return to the sky at the moment," Zurin reminds us. "The volcanic winds are too strong, we could all be blown into the lava."

"Then what do we do?" Bryarly asks.

Zurin looks thoughtful for a moment. "I told you before that after my exile, I swore myself to the service of the fire dragon... I can teleport us to him now. He could teach you the song of the hero, and he might even be able to do something about Ghirahim."

Link nods determinedly. "Let's go for it then."

Posted

((ah, thought I might have miscalculated. Thanks for the reminder!))

After gathering everyone around him, Zurin wastes no time in getting everyone out of the area and into the inner sanctum of Eldin's dwelling place. Even though the burns made it harder to concentrate, he still had enough adrenaline in him to fight off the pain, and soon everyone was standing at the far end of a walkway suspended over a pool of lava. The others followed the demon's lead as he approached the end of the walkway, stopping suddenly when a great red dragon burst from the molten rock. "Well, this is something I don't see too often!" the dragon exclaimed with unexpected glee. "A large company of guests must have fascinating reasons for traveling to these halls. Can I safely assume these are your friends, Zurin?"

"Indeed, master Eldin, these are the friends I mentioned earlier. They were drawn here after I was captured by Ghirahim, and we have need of your assistance in reclaiming our weapons and driving away the Demon Lord's army," Zurin replied in lieu of the others, who were apparently left speechless by Eldins' mannerisms. "Furthermore, the man in green has special business with you regarding the Song of the Hero." The dragon shifted his gaze to Link at this point. "Of course! I can sense the mark of a true hero of the Goddess in you, young man. I would be happy to teach this melody to you," the dragon spoke excitedly. He took a deep breath and released a mighty flow of sound; the baritone melody echoed through the room and etched itself on the minds of the group.

"Now, concerning those intruders in my volcano; they are congregated in two camps, one on the exterior slopes and another just outside these walls. I believe a large portion of your equipment will be in the latter," Eldin deduced. "I cannot sense Ghirahim, so you should be able to gather your belongings with minimal resistance if you move quickly and quietly."

Posted (edited)

(If anyone disagrees with the plan, just cancel it in your next entry :) )

"I don't think it's smart if we all go," I say calmly. 

"What do you mean? We're stronger if we're all there!" Pipit tells me. 

"I know that, but hear me out," I say. "What if they capture us all while looking around. I mean, we can go in separate groups to find our equipment, but if they find one of the groups, everyone will be alarmed and send out to search the rest of us because the Demons know with how many people we're here-"

"What do you propose?" Link interrupts me. 

I look at him. "I was about to say that... I propose some of us go back to the prisons using teleportation. By the looks of it they haven't discovered we're gone yet. If we make sure there's someone in every cell, I don't think they will discover there are people gone. And with the issue of the guards there taken down, I doubt they'll think something bad of it. Bokoblins aren't that smart you know..." 

"Bryarly... That's actually pretty smart and cunning..." Emzy says softly. 

I blush slightly. "Thanks..." 

"So who's going back to the cells?" Link asks. 

"I'll go back. It' not that I'm that good at fighting," I sigh. 

Edited by Franne (see edit history)

Posted

((phew, running a werewolf game takes up more time than I expected! I'll be back here more often when its over))

"Yes, this will certainly buy us the time we need, given that only Ghirahim knows how many of us there are," Zurin figured, "and he is apparently elsewhere at the moment." Everyone else agreed with this idea, with Emzy, Fledge and Callia opting to stay behind with Byarly. Everyone thanked Eldin for his unprecedented generosity, and soon they were all back in the dingy cavern where Ghirahim had imprisoned them.

Thankfully, no Bokoblins seemed to have noticed the breakout, and the defeated ones' bodies had long disappeared. The four volunteers went to the different prison cells, set the scorched bars back in place as convincingly as possible, and saw their friends off. "Don't take too long!" Byarly asked, her eyes lingering especially on Link. The hero may not have noticed too much, but Zurin did. The sight caused his heart to ache; she was hurt, emotionally at least, but Zurin could do nothing to heal that kind of pain. He left with the others quickly, blocking out his inner turmoil and focusing on the mission.

Soon they were back on the outside of the volcano, where the winds had started to clear away the ash and dust from the sky. Still, it was darker than usual as the light of the sun could still not reach through the soot. Bokoblin encampments were stringed together along the path, but lightly manned. Furthermore, the chests containing their gear were in easy-to-spot places, and the group could reach most of them by simply walking. Two hours later they had retrieved most of the gear with minimal teleportation, a fact Zurin was thankful for as repeated use of that magic wore him out quickly. "This is almost all of my stuff, plus all of Karane and Emzy's equipment. I guess we have to clear that second camp to get the rest..." Link said as he sorted the reclaimed loot. "Actually," Pipit added, "I'd guess your sword is somewhere in the volcano but outside that camp. Those demons probably can't stand to be near it." Everyone agreed this was likely, and surely enough, they found the Master Sword at the entrance to the inner volcano. Fi made some remarks to Link as soon as he touched the weapon, but Zurin had begun to tune her out in favor of his own thoughts some time ago.

The group easily located the second camp, but Zurin stopped everyone immediately when they saw a couple of malicious-looking figures, tall and lean just like Ghirahim and Zurin. "So, Ghirahim wasn't bluffing..." Zurin whispered. "Those... are Demon Lords."

Posted (edited)

"Hold on..." Pipit mumbles. "If the Demon Lords are here and not in the meeting... then that means-"

"Ghirahim!" Link finishes for him. "We have to get back to the others, and quickly!"

I can hear his footsteps as he approaches the prison cells, and the panic begins to well up in my stomach. But I know straight away that there's nothing I can do. We couldn't get out quickly enough, and even if we could... it wouldn't do any good. He'd raise the alarm and then we'd all be in deep trouble.

I exchange a panicked glance with Bryarly, but neither of us can say anything before the doorway is pushed open, and the tall pale Demon Lord makes his way in. There's almost a spring in his step as he enters, he looks really rather pleased with himself. But his onyx eyes glaze over the room, and the smug expression on his face slips.

"...you really thought it would be so simple?" he says quietly. "It may be enough to fool those moronic bokoblins, but did you honestly think you could fool me?"

"No, we-" Bryarly begins, but Ghirahim whips out one pointed finger, motioning for her to stay quiet.

He glances over the bars of the prison cell. "Shoddy work Zurin... shoddy work..."

He turns, looking each of us in the eye. "Now... there's two options here. You can take the easy route, and you can tell me where you're little friends are-"

"Never!" Emzy says defiantly.

Ghirahim smirks. "I was hoping you'd say that. Because the second option is so much more fun."

I frown. "The second option?"

"You're going to be bait," he says with a malicious grin. "If you won't take me to your friends, you'll bring them to me."

I open my mouth to question what he's talking about, but I don't get the chance to speak a single word before Ghirahim raises his hand, snapping his fingers. My mind whirls as we're teleported, and I find myself sat in an uncomfortable wooden chair at the front of what appears to be a large dining hall. A long table is stretched out down the middle of the room, though it's completely bare. Rocky walls surround the room, hinting that we're probably somewhere within the volcano. I look out to my left and right, and find Bryarly, Fledge and Emzy sat on identical chairs. Ghirahim stands in front of us all, still wearing that cruel smirk. He snaps his fingers once again, summoning diamond chains that shackle our wrists to the chair arms. I pull against them, but they're too tight to give any leeway.

It's only as the low level chatter subsides that I realise the room is full of people. Well... I say people... tall, pale, willowy figures, bearing resemblance to Ghirahim and Zurin. They must be the Demon Lords...

"Faithful servants of Demise!" Ghirahim calls out to them by way of greeting. "Before you, you see four Hylians, Hylian children. And these children, are going to play bait to draw in the precious hero of the Goddess, and the traitor Zurin."

A small applause breaks out among the Demons and the fear bubbles up in my stomach. I make a silent prayer to the goddess that Link has a plan.

Edited by NayruGoddessOfWisdom (see edit history)

Posted

Zurin teleported everyone back to the prisons the moment Link had finished speaking, but it was too late; everyone was gone. "This can't be right, it's all wrong!" Karane shouted. "Eldin said there were no signs of Ghirahim! Did he lie!?" Zurin shook his head. "Ghirahim simply pulled a trick on us; he went somewhere close by that Eldin couldn't sense him, then doubled back to pick up our friends." The other three looked perplexed by this, so Zurin elaborated. "Eldin has peerless senses, but cannot extend his focus deep into the volcano, where the outskirts of demon civilization are. Ghirahim has to be there, and he probably knows that I would figure out his hiding place." Link seemed to pick up on what Zurin was hinting at. "So our friends are with him in this nearby demon city, and Ghiarhim almost certainly expected you to figure this out, so..." Link trailed off. "...Following them is a trap." Zurin concluded.

"Ok, so we can't teleport right into the middle of Ghirahim's hideout yet, but we can still get the rest of our stuff and break in there, right?" Pipit Asked. "I don't think so," Zurin replied. "Those two demon lords are still guarding the second camp, and believe me, with Link and Karane fighting alone we're still not equipped sufficiently to take them out." Link scowled and looked away after hearing this remark, but didn't give a vocal disagreement. Everyone silently concurred those demon lords were too much. "Do you think, with all our gear returned, we could fight off the demons long enough to save our friends?" The hero finally spoke up. "You mean to catch them off guard and flee with everyone before they could put up a proper fight? Certainly," Zurin replied. "What do you have in mind?" "There's only one way to get all those demons to leave the gear unguarded" Link spoke with determination. "Zurin, I want you to take us to the edge of that camp."

He didn't understand what this plan entailed, but soon Zurin had teleported everyone to their earlier position near the waiting demon lords. "Alright guys," Link said, unbuckling the scabbard on his back containing the Master Sword. "Time for me to turn myself in." He dropped the sword to the ground, and before anyone could object, sprinted right into the middle of the enemy campsite. The waiting demon lords sprung to action and tackled him to the ground; they bound him and were soon gone with the hero in a flash of teleportation magic, leaving the camp empty.

Posted (edited)

The Demon Lords have to be the most terrifying people that we've encountered since we arrived on the surface. Each one is as terrifyingly malicious as Ghirahim. At first I tried listening to their conversations, but it's made my stomach twist to even hear the things that they were saying... the things that they could have done to us given the choice. So after a while I stopped listening, but I still caught the look in their jet black pupils as they watched, turning to glance at us. There couldn't have been many of them, twenty, twenty five, but we were still vastly outnumbered.

I tugged at the chains again, trying my best to find a way to wriggle my wrists free. But all I swear the more I struggled the tighter the chains got, so in the end I gave up.

Suddenly, Demonic magic swirled through the air, and two more Demon Lords appeared. Between them, they were pinning down Link, who writhed furiously on the floor. It took me a couple of seconds to realise that they'd tightly bound his arms behind his back. He let out an irritable grunt as they dragged him upwards, forcing him onto his knees.

Ghirahim, who was lounging comfortably on a very lavish chair, suddenly sat upright, looking particularly happy as his eyes fell on Link.

"Well, look what the cat dragged in," he smirked.

"Link!" Bryarly yelped.

He looked over at us, and I could see the hurt and worry in his eyes when he realised what had happened to us, but he quickly masked it. He winked at Bryarly, faster than a flash of lighting, but it was enough to make her blush. He was up to something, he just wasn't going to let Ghirahim in on his plan.

Edited by NayruGoddessOfWisdom (see edit history)

Posted

"Zurin, snap out of it!" Karane yelled all of a sudden. Link had just been captured and left Karane, Pipit and himself alone. "Let's grab our stuff while we still can!" The remaining three made a mad dash for a cache of chests on the far end of the unoccupied campsite. Throwing open the containers, they grabbed everything before Zurin teleported them back to safety.

Back at the prisons once again, Pipit and Zurin quickly re-equipped themselves while Karane organized and stored everything else. "Ok, now we're set to save our friends, but how can we last with only three people?" Pipit asked. Zurin and Karane weren't much more confident, but everyone felt like the only answer was an ambush. "We can presume everyone is bound in the same manner as Link, using those demonic chains. The Master Sword will definitely cut them, so Pipit, you'll have to free Link with that and then give the weapon to him." Zurin said as a plan formed. "Karane, you and I will have to cause as much chaos as possible, so draw your sword and get ready to go in there swinging. I have my protective gear back, though Ghirahim will quickly move to suppress my sorcery like he did earlier. Leave our friends to Link, who can use the Master Sword to free them. I know exactly where Ghirahim is waiting; my old residence on the outside of town. Last I heard the place was given to him, and he knows I would teleport there." The others nodded their heads in agreement with the plan, and soon they were on their way.

Meanwhile, the meeting of Ghirahim and the demon lords had begun and quickly ended with the inevitable decision made to execute the "guests." Just as Link himself was starting to look visibly nervous, utter chaos erupted when Pipit, Karane and Zuiin appeared on top of the dining table, swinging blades and casting fireballs at everyone in sight. Ghirahim was fast on his feet, cancelling Zurin's spells and grabbing him by the ankle to throw him off the table, but Pipit was just as speedy in unbinding Link and getting the Master Sword back to him. As if anticipating this very turn of events, Link vaulted from chair to chair and quickly had everyone freed. Pipit and Karane held off the other demon lords, joined quickly by an armed Callia, Byarly and Fledge, while Zurin and Emzy took on Ghirahim. As their adversary became quickly exhausted from beating away two fighters, Zurin felt the ability to cast spells quickly rising. With one last push, he lauched a fireball right at Ghirahim's face, grabbed everyone as close as possible, and warped them all far, far away from that terrible place.

Posted

(THAT WAS SO AMAZING AND INTENSE AND WOW!!! :D

When we get warped back I fall unto my knees and I'm not the only one. I'm exhausted though adrenaline is still rushing through my entire body. I open my eyes when I realize it.

We got out.

We're safe.

I have to repeat that message in my head to suppress the constant repetition of the things those demon lords said while watching at us with their black eyes full of malice and it still is making me nauseous and makes my stomach ache. I don't think I'll forget that soon. 

I rub my wrists covered with purple bruises and small cuts since they are kind of numb because of the chains that got tighter with every movement. 

Emzy grumbles as she's doing the same thing as I do. I hope it won't leave a scar.

"Did they do anything to you guys?" Link asks us, incredibly worried.
"Not physically, except for the chains," Calllia replies. "They just... told us what they wanted to do to us if they could..."  

Fledge flinches together with Callia, Emzy and me. 

It will take a while.

"I'm sorry..." Link whispers while looking away, embarrassed. 

"Don't be," I tell him softly. "Please."

Posted

((thanks, glad you liked it!))

Everyone gets back to their feet, using what's left of the healing potions and food to refresh themselves. Zurin was particularly tired from teleporting such an enormous distance. Most of the perishables got destroyed or went missing, and all of the medicinal stuff was gone except the last of Zurin's materials in his bag, so there would be no more healing or eating until someone managed to hunt some local animals or everyone went back to Skyloft. "Come to think of it, where are we?" Emzy asked the question on everyone's mind, even Zurin's. He didn't really plan where to end up when he warped out of that terrible place, but the last place to come to his mind was...

"The Lanayru Province, specifically, a place I visited alone." Zurin explained. "After we first met in Eldin, I traveled through this cave to catch up with you. At the exit is a huge canyon with a strange pile of bones in it." The walls are sandy and dry, not like that Demon City's red rock walls, and there are trace bits of sand everywhere, affirming what the demon said. Nearby, a timeshift stone sits loaded into a rusty minecart and covered in rocks. "On a different note..." Zurin continued, "we need to get moving. Quickly. Ghirahim probably knows we're looking to find the three dragons, and that we've been to Faron Woods, so he can guess that we're here now. We need to get the last part of the song and get back to the sky."

Posted

"Fine," Link says with a sigh. "But we've gotta get this done quickly. We don't want to get stuck here overnight, not with Ghirahim chasing us. Besides, you need treatment on your hands, not to mention the bruises and cuts on everyone's wrists... we need to be back in Skyloft before the sun sets."

"Good idea," I say. "Let's talk to Lanayru, learn the song and then we're headed straight back to Skyloft."

We all exchange nods, and set off towards the exit of the tunnel system. As we step out into the open air, I feel the warm dryness settle over my skin. There's something a little more relaxing about Lanayru than Eldin, no ever present fear of falling in lava, no humid air, just warm sunshine and the smell of baked earth.

"No way..." Bryarly whispers as we near the large skeleton.

"What?" Emzy asks.

"I hate to break it to you..." she murmers. "But I think we've found Lanayru."

"No," Karane says. "That can't be right!"

"I hate to say it," Zurin replies. "But there may be some validity to what Bryarly is saying... look at the size of the ribcage... and that skull. It's definitely a dragon."

Link frowns. "Maybe it's a different dragon?"

Zurin shakes his head. "No, there's only three dragons. We've met two... this... this is Lanayru."

My stomach plummets. "But he's..."

"Dead." Pipit finishes.

"Guys, you're forgetting the timeshift stone!" Emzy exclaims. "Even if he's dead, we can bring him back to life!"

She runs eagerly over to the stone, brandishing her sword. She knocks the tip of her sword into the purple gem, and the field activates, creating a circle of wildlife and greenery. The circe extends right out to the old bones, and a huge brown dragon appears, with a fluffy white beard.

Link grins. "You must be Lanayru!"

Posted

Lanayru makes it immediately apparent why they found him as a pile of bones in the present; the cough he makes sounds horrendous. "Sorry kids, I'm a little under the weather lately. Do you need that melody from me?" Everyone nods or replies with a yes, but Zurin has a bad feeling about this. "I hate to make this difficult, but I just can't sing anymore with my illness. Even after I tried to grow some medicine, the tree I need to bear fruit won't take to the soil. It shames me to fail the goddess in this way..."