Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Dumb Little Vlog

44 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

It's the "art of moving through your environment as swiftly and effectively as possible"

That's actually a small aspect of it, if Helter knew that he may be a little less haphazard about his posts concerning parkour. Sort of reminds me of myself in the Ugandan Genocide thread. Parkour also involves a definition of expressive movement and indulging in the enjoyment whichever sort of motion you practice brings to you. When you have good flow in connecting your movements it also brings about a good feeling too. Like, when one vault is flush with another. It's truly quite fun, but the cynical will be the societal downers that they are.

Edited by Stylin' Scarecrow (see edit history)

Posted

It looks like a lot of fun. How does one learn to do parkour? It seems like something you'd have to know how to do naturally.

Posted

Sort of reminds me of myself in the Ugandan Genocide thread.

Don't ever compare me to yourself

Posted (edited)

It looks like a lot of fun. How does one learn to do parkour? It seems like something you'd have to know how to do naturally.

I fell in love with it through one of the more viral parkour compilations that was being spread around at the time it really started to be exposed to the internet. I then just began to try and emulate the simpler movements they were doing. Then I looked to tutorials and was just giving myself free lessons. Chase, it's much fun and has given me a way to remain positively active. Anyone who is a capable human being can do it, it's mostly a matter of commitment and enjoyment.

Don't ever compare me to yourself

You should feel humbled. :lol2:

Edited by Stylin' Scarecrow (see edit history)

Posted

Where is Love? We need him in this thread to ease the tension from this argument.

Posted

Where is Love? We need him in this thread to ease the tension from this argument.

Posted

inb4 you run off to parkour, chase, its also a good way to injure yourself. cool-looking, yes, but youll probably break something at least once, imo.

Posted

inb4 you run off to parkour, chase, its also a good way to injure yourself. cool-looking, yes, but youll probably break something at least once, imo.

Broken bones and risk of injury comes with really any athletic involvement. Thankfully the worst injury I've ever sustained (while practicing) was a sprained ankle that swelled to the size of an adult melon. Other than that, a collection of scrapes, bruises, lacerations, and gashes have been my only unfortunate run-ins with injury.

Posted

You can't leave out the beating that your pride must feel when joggers confusedly look on and judge you. There are physical scars and also emotional scars. Joke.

I liked your post because I remember how dumb I acted when I used to waste time during the moments I'd be out in public while others that were near or in the distance looked on. That is a valid point you've brought up. For a lot who are just beginning to break into parkour as an interest, they feel often discouraged to do so because onlookers train their sights on them and they feel as if they must perform for them. Sure, it gets annoying and brings about subtle apprehensions but then someone like myself needs to think, "so what". Realizing that I'm doing something in a public setting that isn't a naturally seen occurrence, I can only expect people to watch as they pass me on the sidewalks or in their cars. The worst is when you bail in front of small groups of people, But their opinion never debilitates me. They can look on so long as I'm allowed to film. It'll come to the point when society just looks ahead at you and says "Oh, parkour... I need some Pinkberry".

Posted

Broken bones and risk of injury comes with really any athletic involvement. Thankfully the worst injury I've ever sustained (while practicing) was a sprained ankle that swelled to the size of an adult melon. Other than that, a collection of scrapes, bruises, lacerations, and gashes have been my only unfortunate run-ins with injury.

organized sports and the like tend to have rules and such to minimize injuries. im still about 90% sure i broke several fingers during basketball practice, and when i rolled my ankle, it was during a pickup game of soccer (a prime example of how rules keep you safe, as i was wearing platform shoes about three inches tall)

parkour, however, tend to have a lot of jumping off of things onto other things, and vaulting over things that werent built to be vaulted over. you can argue that spinning and running in a fun way is also parkour, someone looking to pick up the sport isnt going to think that, based off of youtube videos they probably saw. while theyre not gonna start jumping off of buildings to other buildings in their first week, theyre probably gonna start jumping and leaping over whatever, rather than running around.

if theyre on the younger side (or just a younger mentality), theyll probably start trying to show off to their friends, or garner a youtube following, and go for what looks cool and might be more at the limit or past the limit of their abilities, rather than keeping it safe and going slow. as there arent really any rules for safety, nor are they enforceable in any way, and a lot of kids, teens, and whatever arent gonna run out to buy elbow/knee pads or wear a helmet, theyre more likely to break something than someone that practices soccer or football.

Posted

organized sports and the like tend to have rules and such to minimize injuries. im still about 90% sure i broke several fingers during basketball practice, and when i rolled my ankle, it was during a pickup game of soccer (a prime example of how rules keep you safe, as i was wearing platform shoes about three inches tall)

parkour, however, tend to have a lot of jumping off of things onto other things, and vaulting over things that werent built to be vaulted over. you can argue that spinning and running in a fun way is also parkour, someone looking to pick up the sport isnt going to think that, based off of youtube videos they probably saw. while theyre not gonna start jumping off of buildings to other buildings in their first week, theyre probably gonna start jumping and leaping over whatever, rather than running around.

if theyre on the younger side (or just a younger mentality), theyll probably start trying to show off to their friends, or garner a youtube following, and go for what looks cool and might be more at the limit or past the limit of their abilities, rather than keeping it safe and going slow. as there arent really any rules for safety, nor are they enforceable in any way, and a lot of kids, teens, and whatever arent gonna run out to buy elbow/knee pads or wear a helmet, theyre more likely to break something than someone that practices soccer or football.

Yes, the likelihood of injury is definitely a more present risk with parkour. Injuries, minor or otherwise, come to all levels from the novice to the seasoned and adept. The practitioner must be mindful that the human body, when displaced, can be easily damaged. What follows this notion is the respect the practitioner must have for their limit of their physical ability. The rules are written by the traceur (one who practices parkour), and each are particular. Also, one who seeks to become better without impeded health notices that their progressions heighten gradually. There's come plenty of points in my training where I've felt sure and ready about breaching my current limit and learning something new. That feeling of completing something you saw as scary or that made your chest thump is such an incredible feeling, I smile each time, along with a giant sigh of relief and accomplishment. Sometimes, I even enjoy facing the risks and proving odds wrong. Other times, I see myself forcing my skill further for the sake of filming, which isn't such a great feeling. It feels rushed, but then again, it's my own neglect for not training more religiously. Yes, to route myself back to the original point. Injury is a prevalent force in parkour, but one that can be weakened with proper mindfulness and training, as is the truth for any athletic practice.

Posted

Where was the triple Salchow to basketball dunk to 360° spin?

Ugh, too many takes. Just threw in a slow-motioned kong off of my deck at the end.

Posted

My last year's biggest project. A homage to my progression from 2009 through to 2011.