Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wii U Review

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Great review, Chase. Thanks for the effort of rewriting it (I'm assuming from that status) and sharing your thoughts and critique! However, I am gonna move this to the Submit Content forum because it is a game console review. <3

edit: actually just gonna put it in the news lol

Posted

I don't get lost on the GamePad unless I'm playing the game on the GamePad. It becomes very intimate when you do that. When I'm playing Super Mario Bros. U with the GamePad, my eyes often shift down to the GP instead of the television. I'm really not sure why, but I actually prefer playing some games on the GamePad more than the television.

At worst, the GamePad is a map or inventory system. This can be a bit jarring, because you have to physically move your head up and down to see what's going on. This works for Zombi U, as it builds the tension and increases the scares. For everything else, like Assassin's Creed III, it's kind of annoying. You can always change the settings to your liking in most of the games, though, so it's not a big deal. At worst, the games are like they are on 360/PS3, with the inventory and maps on the television screen.

In Call of Duty, when you call in UAV, the GamePad shows the entire map and exactly where the enemies are. That can be helpful, though it makes you stop and physically look at the GamePad.

For party games, like Mario Chase in Nintendoland, the GamePad is still intimate, but you're focused on both it and the people around you. You control Mario, you can see everyone on your GamePad, and the others are trying to catch you. You see yourself and a map with everyone running around on it. They only see themselves. It's a fun game that keeps the GamePad intimate while allowing the person using it to also join in on the conversations of others in the room.

And, like I said, there's nothing quite like playing games on the GamePad itself. I often do that even though the games look better on the TV. It's just a personal and peaceful experience.

I would say it's less like texting and more like reading a book. You're usually too involved in it to pay attention to outside conversations, unless it's a game specifically designed for parties, like Nintendoland.

Posted

Just patiently waiting on pikmin 3. I've waited for a decade now, I can keep waiting a few more months. Though, I'm counting on one of my brothers or my parents picking up the Console and Game.

True Gamer likes this

Posted

I played Mario Chase in Nintendoland with Jay the other day. The concept reminds me of a Pac-Man game that came out on the Gamecube years ago, where Pac-Man was played on a Gameboy Advance linked to the Gamecube, and the ghosts were played on the main console. Only the GBA player had a full view of the playing field.

I was hoping that asymmetrical gameplay would be used on the WiiU, so that was good to see. I just hope more developers can make good use of the different gameplay styles available.

Haven't had much opportunity to play around with the WiiU yet, and Jay's using it to re-unlock everything on Mario Kart. He set everything up and wiped the harddrive on the Wii before asking me. Shame, I could have told him about the data transfer.

masterlink likes this

Posted

Nicely written review :) 

I'm waiting to pick it up because of those loading issues you mentioned, its not... horrible but it is something I wish Nintendo would address.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0