Werewolf Rules/Guidelines/Requirements + Forum Mods

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I don't really play werewolf, my last attempt was a failure, but it seems like current and future werewolf games may benefit if there are a set of rules, guidelines and requirements in place.

This thread is a way for you guys to voice your opinions about them, should you not think there should be rules or anything so be it, but let's give this a try?

Here are some things I thought of:

Wolf Points

Reputation-like system where players are either gain points by submitting actions on time or completing werewolf games without any problems (dead or alive), or lose points by going MIA too much, 3 strikes (see below).

Can be used to keep track of players and gives you a chance to see who may be a problem, for example you could deny someone because they weren't very active in their previous games.

3 Strike System

Every game has a 3 strike system, where if someone goes MIA or fails to submit their actions they get a strike counted against them. Should they get 3 strikes they are kicked from the game in effort to keep the game going at a decent speed. User's role can either be:

1. Removed from the rest of the game.
  2. Someone from the "pool" (see below) is put into the role.
  3. Someone else from the same group inherits the role or perhaps switch roles?

This will help give power to the leader of a Werewolf game to rightfully kick someone from a game due to inactivity allowing the game to proceed.

Player Pool

It may be a good idea to have a pool of maybe 3 people who were interested in joining but did not get a chance to play in case someone is forcefully kicked from a game, see 3 strike system.

Follow Respective Forum Thread

People participating in a werewolf MUST follow the thread for their respective game and adjust their notification settings so they get notified when people reply to the thread.

Notification method to use for replies to followed topics should have the "Notification List" check box checked.

This will help people remain aware of the existence of the game thread.

The "Follow this thread" button is above the "Reply to this topic" button on the top right side of the thread. http://i.imgur.com/G9ke6.png

------------------------

Werewolf Forum Moderator(s)

To help maintain the werewolf forum I'm thinking we should replace Anderson (Nabe) as he is MIA. Please nominate at least one person who you think should be a mod in the forum. Ideally it should be someone that is active in the werewolf forum and has a good sense of how it should be managed/ran.

The moderator will be required to enforce any rules that are passed and manage any sort of wolf point system or whatever is implemented, if any.

Edited by Michael (see edit history)
oriflameacadahogar likes this

Posted

Cascade took care of pinning your thread and closing the old one.

I went ahead and deleted the post you reported earlier.

Posted

I like the Werewolf Points system for encouraging active participation. Everyone needs to post what their idea of MIA and we can work out a general idea from there for the basis of possible rules.

What are user's restrictions/allowances in regards to their own threads? Specifically can they lock/unlock and re-name their own, created threads? So GM's can lock the thread for the night phase so people don't spam everywhere, rename the title to announce Day/Night changes for example... etc. It's small, but it'd be handy me thinks.

If everyone agrees to these rule suggestions, I wouldn't mind being the person to enforce rules and manage things. I'd say I'm pretty active in werewolf as a whole, usually join games, try to be active as much as possible, if I'm not in a game I'll definitely follow it anyways lol. I want to see what other people have got to say about all this first though. :>

we probably shouldn't start games without hearing confirmation of roles from every player though... =P

Posted

Of course the guy with the bad memory enjoys the game that now requires great memory. (joke)

I can't really subscribe to threads, mostly because whenever I do it never emails me with replies. I prefer to use "New Content" because I'm here almost all the time that I /can/ be.

Posted

I did. I just doesn't email me.

Posted (edited)

I did. I just doesn't email me.

Are you sure? You don't even have any of them checked for the one I said you should enable.

http://i.imgur.com/hMQc2.png

You won't get emails if you don't tell it to send you an email.

Emails are being sent to your email that you have saved. So if you're not getting them make sure you are checking the right email (spe*****[email protected]) and that it's not in your spam folder.

Posted

you don't really need the email option? when you follow a topic and it gets replies, a notification number bubble... thing should be appearing next to the sign out and message box options, at the top of the forum page??? click it, tells you who replied to what topic, when... etc. it's not exactly hard to work out lol. your email would get puppying clogged if every notification was sent to it jeez. do not want.

Posted

you don't really need the email option? when you follow a topic and it gets replies, a notification number bubble... thing should be appearing next to the sign out and message box options, at the top of the forum page??? click it, tells you who replied to what topic, when... etc. it's not exactly hard to work out lol. your email would get puppying clogged if every notification was sent to it jeez. do not want.

I didn't even notice that.

Posted

Similar to Tappy's 3 strike idea, but:

I propose a mandatory first post on the actual Werewolf game page. Signing up for the game is one thing, but the game will start shortly thereafter and I think that it's really essential that the players give the game a moderate amount of attention for the first few "days" of the game (like Day 1, Night 1, etc) when there are a lot of people participating. That way we can avoid what just happened and not do "inactivity lynches" on the first day, when the game's only been up for a little longer than a day and create other reasons for that lynch. 

I mean seriously, I do not blame LL for pulling out CB in that game. There was nearly a 50% majority vote against them and they weren't coming back in enough time to defend their position. It did happen quickly, yes, and CB did come back, but that's why we have to avoid this completely!

Ideas on penalties for not making a mandatory first post? Maybe like disabling their night action for the first night or an automatic lynch vote number against them the same day? I am trying to keep it so that the player is not booted from the actual game and just receiving a penalty, along with the appropriate PM warnings. So, for example, if there is are 15 players active, the inactive first post offender will receive an automatic 20% lynch vote. That person would have (3) votes against them automatically the next day.

Posted

honestly if you want to stop inactivity in the early days of games then stop starting with Day 1. Boring, useless circlejerk of "what do we talk about hurr", followed by "who was the last person to get online THEY'RE INACTIVE AND ALWAYS WILL BE voted/lynched". rinse and repeat every game. Night 1 starts would actually give us information regarding kills, night actions and the like to work with on the following days? :/ And I'd also suggest if we do Night starts, then we not to restrict the mafia from doing their stuff on Night 1. Unfair advantage to the town imo.

jus' sayin'

Posted (edited)

I've removed Anderson and added ʎɹɐpuǝƃǝ˥ʎlǝƃɹɐ˥ as a Werewolf forum mod, however he is limited can only do: delete posts, hide posts, unhide posts, see hidden posts,  open locked topics, close topics, pin and unpin topics set an open and a close date for threads.

One thing you might be able to do, LL, is set the close time when you want it to be closed and then open the next time you want it to be open, and then update the close/open time to the next time, incase you might not be around to close the thread.

Posted

What are user's restrictions/allowances in regards to their own threads? Specifically can they lock/unlock and re-name their own, created threads? So GM's can lock the thread for the night phase so people don't spam everywhere, rename the title to announce Day/Night changes for example... etc. It's small, but it'd be handy me thinks.

would it be possible to have mini-mod powers for our individual game threads? even just locking/unlocking would be great, and the timed locking tappy mentioned sounds awesome.

your email would get puppying clogged if every notification was sent to it jeez. do not want.

this is why my PMs usually say "notifications off" as soon as i get to them :/ i like having that first email so that when i check my phone, i can see when my PM has gotten dished out, or replied to, etc, but when im hosting a game, its just.....ugh.

Similar to Tappy's 3 strike idea, but:

I propose a mandatory first post on the actual Werewolf game page. Signing up for the game is one thing, but the game will start shortly thereafter and I think that it's really essential that the players give the game a moderate amount of attention for the first few "days" of the game (like Day 1, Night 1, etc) when there are a lot of people participating. That way we can avoid what just happened and not do "inactivity lynches" on the first day, when the game's only been up for a little longer than a day and create other reasons for that lynch. 

I mean seriously, I do not blame LL for pulling out CB in that game. There was nearly a 50% majority vote against them and they weren't coming back in enough time to defend their position. It did happen quickly, yes, and CB did come back, but that's why we have to avoid this completely!

Ideas on penalties for not making a mandatory first post? Maybe like disabling their night action for the first night or an automatic lynch vote number against them the same day? I am trying to keep it so that the player is not booted from the actual game and just receiving a penalty, along with the appropriate PM warnings. So, for example, if there is are 15 players active, the inactive first post offender will receive an automatic 20% lynch vote. That person would have (3) votes against them automatically the next day.

its hard to kick someone from a game, since its unfair to town (decreasing their numbers without a lynch or nightkill) but inactive players are my biggest pet peeve. i like this "adding votes" system. possibly a vote or two added for each game day they dont post in thread? and decrease it by the number of posts they throw out afterwards (eg, if youre inactive enough to garner 4 votes, posting once wont take that count to 0)

And I'd also suggest if we do Night starts, then we not to restrict the mafia from doing their stuff on Night 1. Unfair advantage to the town imo.

jus' sayin'

on the flip side, if there was a nightkill on night 0, someone wouldnt even get to talk in the thread. wolves tend to have secondary powers anyway, so id personally just limit their actions to their secondary powers for that night.

Posted

I can add forum moderators, like I did with LL. He only has power in the Werewolf forum.