Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

LOTR Discussion thread

14 posts in this topic

Posted

So, I figured there needed to be a Lord of the Rings discussion thread, seeing as how there are still movies coming out. So talk about LOTR here, whynot.

I actually am not nearly as big of a fan of LOTR as you would have to be to make a thread about it, but Hey man the Hobbit was pretty good, right? Actually I'm going to talk about the Hobbit right now so if you haven't seen it then you might want to not be in this thread right now.

Anyways, all I really wanted to comment on is how well the team behind the hobbit managed to make it fit into the original three movies. If you remember the first three made, they were pretty dark movies, all told. This first movie released so far is pretty much anything but that. But it still fits into the overall tonality the first three movies set, right? Well, the fact is, pulling that off was hilariously harder than they made it look.

I've never read the books, so make of that what you will. But I do know there was actually an animated movie for the hobbit released in 1977 Here's a clip of the "That's what Bilbo Baggins Hates!" Part of the movie:

It's a little different from what you saw in the recent release, yeah, but what would you expect from a movie filmed in the late 70's with nowhere near the budget Peter Jackson had? Pretty excusable, you might say.

Okay now watch this:

Is that supposed to be the climactic ending of the film? What the hell, right? I mean shit, compare it to the ending we all saw right here:

Actually, if anything, the 1977 film is more true to the book. Originally, The Hobbit was written to be a kid's book/fairy tale type shit. I honestly couldn't begin to tell you what the differences were between the hobbit and the lord of the rings, all I know is that the team had to take this movie and make it fit in with the rest of their telling of the LOTR. And they did a good job. But you might go so far as to say it's hilariously bastardized.

Anyways, as long as I'm talking about dwarves, I figured I might as well mention Enrique Fernandez's new comic project, which just got funding through kick starter: "BRIGADA." I honestly have no idea what it's about yet, other than a small group of dwarves who really, really need to fuck shit up right the fuck now.

Spoiler'd because it's not LOTR related:

brigada_front_by_enriquefernandez-d56715

brigada_02_by_enriquefernandez-d5670xg.j

smashing_8000___by_enriquefernandez-d56s

Here's what he calls his character design process:

character_design_by_enriquefernandez-d58

Posted

Was Bilbo finding out the name of the sword supposed to be a big deal? I thought they knew it was called sting already? If it's not sting, is there a dramatic name to it and a good reason why he doesn't know it, etc?

Also, I found this on tumblr recently and I wanted to share it:

tumblr_ma0ac1ohzh1qdyrbwo1_250.gif

tumblr_ma0ac1ohzh1qdyrbwo2_250.gif

tumblr_ma0ac1ohzh1qdyrbwo3_250.gif

tumblr_ma0ac1ohzh1qdyrbwo4_250.gif

tumblr_ma0ac1ohzh1qdyrbwo5_250.gif

tumblr_ma0ac1ohzh1qdyrbwo6_250.gif

"This is my favorite puppying scene. 

If you’ve read the Silmarillion, you know who Fëanor was. If you don’t, Fëanor was the dickhead who created the Silmarils: three indescribably beautiful and magical jewels that contained the light and essence of the world before it became flawed. They were the catalyst for basically every important thing that happened in the First Age of Middle Earth.

It is thought that the inspiration for the Silmarils came to Fëanor from the sight of Galadriel’s shining, silver-gold hair.

He begged her three times for single strand of her beautiful hair. And every time, Galadriel refused him. Even when she was young, Galadriel’s ability to see into other’s hearts was very strong, and she knew that Fëanor was filled with nothing but fire and greed.

Fast forward to the end of the Third Age.

Gimli, visiting Lorien, is also struck by Galadriel’s beauty. During the scene where she’s passing out her parting gifts to the Fellowship, Galadriel stops empty-handed in front of Gimli, because she doesn’t know what to offer a Dwarf. Gimli tells her: no gold, no treasure… just a single strand of hair to remember her beauty by.

She gives him three. Three.

And this is why Gimli gets to be an Elf Friend, people. Because Galadriel looks at him and thinks he deserves what she refused the greatest Elf who ever lived—- and then twice that. And because he has no idea of the significance of what she’s just given him, but he’s going to treasure it the rest of his life anyway.

Just look at that smile on Legolas’s face in the last panel. He gets it. He knows the backstory. And I’m pretty sure this is the moment he reconsiders whether Elves and Dwarves can’t be friends after all."

I found this post before seeing the hobbit, so the whole elves and dwarves being friends thing here was pretty lost on me. So actually reading this post now really casts that whole dwarf/elf relationship from the hobbit, and gimli/legolas's relationship in a new light. Gimli is my guy, man.

Posted

my friends and i smoked and watch all 3 LOTR movies a few weeks ago. Extended editions. It was awful, in one sitting.

I read the Hobbit in high school but some bullies stole my book when i was on the last chapter so i dunno if the dragon kills him or wut. <joke

Posted

I bought The Hobbit book in an airport yesterday, and I'm about halfway through it. I figured it was a good place to start since I do want to read the other three LOTR books. It's cute, and it's written in a way that reminds me of C.S. Lewis (the entirety of the Chronicles of Narnia) and J.K. Rowling a bit but otherwise very easy to follow. I am looking forward to watching the movie soon. I liked the other 3 movies though I wasn't really sure on all the details, like kind of watching them at face value. I hope to actually change that after I read the trilogy.

Posted

Fun fact, LOTR is a Christian allegory, like Narnia, and Tolkien even converted Lewis to Christianity!

Chase likes this

Posted

jeez does this mean Gandalf = Aslan and that means Gandalf = God

Posted

Fun fact, LOTR is a Christian allegory, like Narnia, and Tolkien even converted Lewis to Christianity!

http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/27748.html

Yeah, no. The extent of Allegory in Middle Earth is the beginning of Simarillian and the prophesy of the end of the world. Only in that the former is a bit similar to how the very beginning of Genesis reads, and the latter is somewhat similar to Revelation.

Tolkien even criticized Lewis's use of Allegory in the Narnia books. They were in the same club, called the Inklings. They would read each other their stories as they wrote them.

Also sting was named such by the spiders Bilbo used it on in Mirkwood. It was just a dagger, but it was an elven dagger from basically the greatest Elven city in history, which fell, so its still pretty spiffy.

Arachne likes this

Posted

Took the words out of my mouth, Necropolis. I was reading through the thread, and was going to say that 'Allegory' is not a good term to describe The Lord of the Rings. Tolkien himself preferred the term 'applicability', which differs from allegory in that the interpretation is left up to the reader, not deliberately invoked by the author.

I enjoyed the new Hobbit movie, even though it's way longer than it needs to be. Still wish they'd shown little Aragorn in Rivendell, since he was 11 at the time Bilbo and the Dwarves visited and that would have been cute.

Posted

Ok. So the next obvious question is: Who is your favorite character? And chwhy?

Posted

Boromir. He was a flawed man, but he was a pretty cool guy.

Posted

I went to see the Hobbit but I got distracted and left halfway through so now I need to decide whether it's worth going back just to see them do whatever they do in the first movie. Pretty sure the desolation of smaug doesn't even happen until the second movie, right? 

Posted

It's a fun movie, with an exciting sort of cliffhanger ending. There's going to be three movies and they're not going to do anything particularly intensely smaug related until the third movie from what I understand. I'd watch it if I were you.

Posted

Er, I think 2 is gonna be the smaug stuff. Its called the desolation of smaug

Posted

HarryPotterWizardBuddy loves LOTR and hardcore fantasy and such, but he hated the Hobbit Movie. He should come in here and explain why.