Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Thematic music changes.

9 posts in this topic

Posted

You know how sometimes a place in a Movie, TV Show, or video game might make you feel a certain way, and then, a thematic change happens. Maybe someone dies, or its been liberated from evil. I really like that. Its a good way in my opinion of subtly manipulating the emotions of the viewer, especially if they've been hearing the first version for a while now, like maybe its one of the things they hear most often, ala main themes and Overworld themes. Just as an example theres....

And then

I also rather like the difference between Lavender town in the original Pokemon games, and Gold/Silver's version.

So I guess the point of this thread is whether you like these, and what your favorites are.

Posted (edited)

Even though it's not the music itself changing, the theme of the song certainly changes to the listener.

Edit: how the puppy do you embed

Edited by Silver Moon (see edit history)

Posted

I just pasted the links...

Posted

Oh I love the hell out of these. Like with the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

See, listen to the first song you hear in the movie. To be more specific, listen to the end, starting from 5:55

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCz0AXvQlLA

Pay attention to that little finale tune there.

Now, later on in the film, Frollo (most evil Disney villain imo) belts out this little number.

Listen to it from 1:29. Sound familiar? One of the darkest reprises I've ever heard.

Posted

Okay, look. I'm gonna be mentioning Dark Souls and Berserk in this thread so just accept that fact now and be done with it. But there's also lots of other things with this stuff all over it that I like a whole bunch and am probably going to be posting, too! So THERE.

Anyways, the recent Berserk Movies aren't that good overall in comparison to the anime and manga, but the ost is pretty superb. This song is from the second movie, the battle for doldrey, and when you listen to this song, about forty seconds in is when they, you know, battle for doldrey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycIA-LaSHOc

It doesn't really resolve the way you might like it to, or like I think a lot of us feel like it should, but that moment when the song starts syncs up really really dramatically and perfectly with when the battle starts.

Also EDA that was a really cool post thank you for that

DR SHRUBBERY! likes this

Posted (edited)

I just Saw the battle of doldrey. Are you telling me you didn't mark the puppy out when the showed the teaser for what will be the eclipse? Its going to be insane. Like, The fight between Guts and the mounted knight, forgot his name, was incredible, a sight to behold. The anime did those too but it had a big problem with using stills to represent the action.

Are you saying like a dramatic "new take on the classic music" or something. Like how on a show, when something sad happens, a sad version of the music will play? (called a reprise, if i recall?)

Sort of yeah.

Edited by Necropolis (see edit history)

Posted

I just Saw the battle of doldrey. Are you telling me you didn't mark the puppy out when the showed the teaser for what will be the eclipse? Its going to be insane. Like, The fight between Guts and the mounted knight, forgot his name, was incredible, a sight to behold. The anime did those too but it had a big problem with using stills to represent the action.

Well yeah, that's true. I'll admit that if there's one thing the movies are doing particularly well, outside of the ost's, it's taking really dramatic moments from the manga and making them more dramatic. When Boscogn sliced all those dudes in one swing I was like SHIT. But overall, compared to the anime and manga, it's just not that good for a variety of reasons I'm not going to bring into a thread unrelated to Berserk.

But the third movie is what I'm really, really excited for. They might actually stay true to the manga and show the bakiraka assassins/Weiland/"whats down the hole" tower sequence from the manga that got omitted from the anime for obvious reasons, or at least show bits and pieces of one of them. Or they show how Guts survives the eclipse, et cetera. A bunch of different things are running through my head, here. This is the movie I'm eager to see live up to the other things.

Posted

Would the anime thread be the place for that or what? I'd love to discuss some berserk.

Posted

Yeah man, that'd be good. I try to keep how much I talk about the series to a minimum just because I think I'm the only one on this site who's seen the anime, read the manga, and watched the movies that are released. I do my best not to spoil it for anyone, and nobody else here is really good for talking about it with for those reasons so. But yeah dude get in the anime thread lets talk etc