Minority Rule: Sign-ups

19 posts in this topic

Posted

This is the second round of the Liar Game, Minority Rule. Liar Game is a Japanese manga and TV series, featuring high stake games of deceit and manipulation.

I'm not sure how this will work out in a forum environment as it's quite a free game, but I'd like to give it a shot.

Here's how the game will work:

• I will select a player to send me a yes or no question, eg "Are you a woman?", which they will send to me via PM.
  • I will post the question along with identity of the question giver at the first post of the stage.
  • By the end of the stage, players will send me their answer by PM, either "Yes" or "No".
  • The votes will be tallied up. If for example 10 vote "Yes" while 7 vote "No", the majority voters who went with the answer "Yes" will be removed from the game, while the people who vote "No" will proceed to the next stage of the game.
  • This will repeat until either one or two people are left in the game, as with two people there cannot be a majority vote.

As in the show, since the game is based in a room, you can secretly confer with each other in secret outside of the thread to conspire against other members. Like in the show, the players aren't separated from one another between stages, and so the thread will not close between one question and the next. More time for manipulation and cunning.

As Werewolf is still happening right now, I'm looking to ask LL about running my question stages while night phase in Werewolf is happening. But my game will basically be running straight from start to finish. And with the nature of the game, full games might not last very long each time.

After a certain point in the question stage, I'll start a "VOTE NOW" stage for you all to send in your PMs, as a push to get everyone's answer in. You're allowed to send me your vote at any part of the game though. The game will still be running during this "VOTE NOW" period, and if you don't vote by the end of this period, you will be disqualified.

Again, as in the show, based in a room, players who are being disqualified are lead out of the room and out of the house. Since it would be physically possible in a real life situation, players ejected from the game are allowed to make some passing remarks as they leave. It's not the same as death.

The rules will be as such:

• You must send me your answer by PM, NOT by posting it in the thread. Your vote will not be counted unless it is PM'd to me personally.
  • You must send in your answer BEFORE the time limit is up.
  • If you abstain from voting, or don't vote before the time limit is up, you will be removed from the game.
  • Post editing is allowed.

Here are some thoughts on how people might play:

Don't forget that people might just be befriending you to manipulate you though. Someone could easily be manipulating multiple people in secret for their own ends. It's up to you to decide whether or not you trust the other members.

No tactics are out of bounds, besides perhaps physical threats.

While I said that you can't vote in the thread, you are allowed to say what you're voting for. From other peoples' point of view you could be bluffing, or double bluffing.

All your actions can be considered honest or fake by other people. It's up to you how you interpret other peoples' thought processes and actions, and how you predict they'll act in response to yourself and other players, and of course the question.

Not that the question is of major importance.

Trust no one, or do. It's your choice how you play this game, who you trust, and ultimately how you vote based on all your observations.

The indecisive players might become pawns of their associates. Or traitors. Or great allies.

Sign ups will begin now. Since the number of players will decrease by over half at every stage, I'm not going to be very picky about the number of people playing. Though it'd be best if we could get a good number of people.

If you have any questions about how I'll be running the game, or suggestions on how it'd be run better, say so here in the sign up thread. It's difficult to write rules for a game as free as this one.

I'm especially iffy on the idea of having everyone vote before the round has ended. I'd like that people are allowed to cast their vote during the phase, since this can open up to opportunities to cast your vote and then bend people to your will afterwards. But it could be possible to run it so that players who are slow to respond to the thread can do so. But I think that if people are going to be so inactive that they don't respond to it, then they're the people that could totally shift the whole game off balance with an unpredictable factor that totally ruins the whole idea.

Player list:

1. Sahaqiel
  2. Largely Legendary
  3. Cascade
  4. Chase
  5. Skridovaste
  6. emsomniac
  7. Chimetals
  8. Knuckle

Posted

No tactics are out of bounds, besides perhaps physical threats.

good luck doing that across the internet ;3

as far as voting goes, maybe having a sort of deadline to work with would be good? that way, people could put their votes in at any time, but thered still be a sort of "hurry up and vote" pressure going.

Posted

Yeah, I'm not sure how the game will work out and how quickly people will play, but I was thinking maybe the question phase could be three days, and the VOTE NOW part could happen within the last day. People can leave it late, but at that point I'll be nudging people to make sure that they know that they need to cast their vote before the day is out.

Though of course like in Werewolf people will slow down a little, and in a way I'm not totally sure how much activity I'm expecting in the thread with this sort of game, but I'll just end the day if people just all send in their votes before any limit is reached.

Posted

I'll read the rules later, but I'm in. (:

Teto likes this

Posted

Also, added a rule against post editing, since I'm assuming this as a role play of us in a room playing this game, like where in Werewolf we assume we all live near to each other and congregate in a common place to talk to one another. You can't erase the words you've said.

Although in a way, some peoples' manipulation might involve lying to other people about what they've said in the past, so I'm not actually entirely sure that I'm against post editing yet. It could be a good tool to use.

If we're assuming a full scale real life situation, it wouldn't be possible to go through logs of what you've said to other people, and you have to rely on what you remember. So to make it more realistic it might make sense to either delete whole loads of posts after a certain length of time, or simply allow and make a big deal about post editing, so people can't be entirely sure if posts are edited or not? Like doubting your own memory in real life.

But like I say, complete freedom might not give very good results in the end.

For the time being, I think I'll allow post editing.

Posted

I'll play!! This sounds very interesting and different. <:

Teto likes this

Posted

If u sign up you get a free like. What more could you want.

Posted

Two likes and ill join

Teto likes this

Posted

One like and I add you in regardless.

Posted

Sounds pretty cool, I'll join.

Teto likes this

Posted

I'm definitely in, sounds fun and not a whole lot of time required.

Teto likes this

Posted

you should probably sign me up if you havent already.

i had a thought about using rupees since it was originally a cash game, but idk how people would feel about that. id say like 10 rupees or something. when we drop out, wed hand em to teto, whod pass the amount onto the winner(s) at the end. but only if people are cool with it.

Teto likes this

Posted

why aren't more people signing up for this yo 

i mean, emso's got a point. this doesn't look like a game that requires a huge chunk of your time like with werewolf. c'mon it'll be funnn~! (o:

Teto likes this

Posted

JOIN GAME

Posted

Looks like there are a lot of people out there who really like killing progress. At least we have weeded out the people who don't care about this site or friendship, and above all, don't care about me, and want me to die. I know who you are, and your statement is clear.

I'm looking at you pheo. And crying at what you have done to me.

pheonix561 likes this