Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

You're all lucky.

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Every eight seconds, a young child dies from lack of water or a waterborne disease.

This is equivalent to a 747 jetliner full of kids going down every hour.

Sadly the USA government could make a few less bombs and solve this problem with that money. :(

http://www.nature.org/initiatives/freshwater/people/

Posted

Yikes. Now I feel guilty.

Posted

Good to see some more articles to raise awareness of the things in this world.

Posted

I've actually heard of a kind of straw that they will be handing out in countries with a shortage of clean water that will drain out 99% of bacteria. So they could drink from dirty water without as much of a chance of getting a disease. It'ss too bad that viruses are too small to be drained right now.... :( I guess you never know how lucky you are until someone else pays the price.

Posted

Yikes. Now I feel guilty.

I don't know that you should feel guilty. However it is important to realize how many horrible things are happening in the world today, and to get a perspective on how easy these type of things can be fixed. Pump stations which are powered by a children's hand-powered merry go-around for instance are some inventions which were made to be cheaply put into places with poor drinking water.

Unfortunately it isn't profitable to save dying children and the governments which can easily afford to do this (USA!) for other countries, don't. People before profit. People need to remember that. It's similar to how drug companies focus on treatments, not cures. There is more money to be had in treating a disease than curing it. It's a very sad thing when people lower their morals when they are making decisions for a company or government since they can detach themselves from it and say things like 'well, the company did it not me' or 'it's my job'. :(

Posted

ive heard that A child alone dies every second (from any cause)

so whats that?

60 x 60 x 24 = 86400

so 86400 children... die each day... amazing isnt it?

Posted

It's not amazing, it's sad.

Posted

ive heard that A child alone dies every second (from any cause)

so whats that?

60 x 60 x 24 = 86400

so 86400 children... die each day... amazing isnt it?

Death happens.

Death by easily preventable reasons doesn't need to happen though. Especially when that death happens because someone wants their company to have a few extra million to add to their billions of dollars. :/ or the government doesn't want to for political gain.

Posted

This isn't a nice topic for the little children to see :P

Posted

You all need to remember it though for when you're older so you can remember that when voting or speaking out, although you can all certainly make a difference now by writing letters and stuff.

Posted

The situation is horrible now, but it will get even worse, if we don't act. just think about the man-made climate changes. The situiation in south-east asia will get worse when big cities get flooded, fish spieces are disepearing all over the world something that heavily effects a lot of people lifes. Every day people die because of war. People must start to cooperate if we are going to stand a chance infront of this centurys challenges. And sadly animal spieces are disepearing in a tremendus speed something that eventually will effect the envirement...

Posted

I'm sorry, but I have to say this... Has anybody thought about the problems that would arise from almost nobody dying? About every second, give or take, 6 or 7 children are born in various countries. Less people die per second than that and consequently the overall population of the world is growing.

Also, 3rd world countries aren't in this situation because of the reasons we think. The governments of these countries are, in fact, corrupt. They use donated money to finance companies within that country, rather than fix the various problems.

This is what I think and know. The situation is both better and worse than we think.

Posted

In some cases you're right Aatch.

I think that the over popullation is something really dangerous, but I don't agree with that kids dying...

There's must be a balance to these things and we don't have it (we like humans)