Minority Rule

66 posts in this topic

Posted

Liar Game Round II: Minority Rule

Opening flavor text / novelization and manipulation of relevant scenes from the manga:

_____

Part 1

In a dark, richly furnished room, you're awoken by low, panicked voices. Standing up, you notice that there are altogether twenty two including yourself in the room. You were the last one to finally come to. As if in response, a tall, slim man in a suit and white gloves reveals himself from behind a heavy red curtain at the far end of the room. His true face covered by a mask, he began to address the room.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we extend to you a warm welcome for joining us today. I am the dealer of this game. Please call me Teto-sama."

Whispers resonate through the room in the dealer's pressing silence.

"At this point no further entries will be allowed. Despite our best efforts there is a total of 22 players gathered here today. With these 22 players we will now commence the second round of the Liar Game. I will briefly explain the rules.

**"Similar to the previous round, each player will receive 100 million yen as their possession. So in other words, counting everyone assembled here, that would mean that there is a total of 2.2 billion yen. This 2.2 billion yen is what all 22 of you will contend for. Although, that is not to say you will capture it by force.*

"For the second round of the Liar Game, all 22 people here will be competing for it by participating in a certain "game". Unsuccessful challengers will be asked to leave when they lose. It could be called an "elimination game". **If a player loses, they lose their 100 million. They will return it to us before they leave the premises. I'm sure you know what that means. As the game progresses, losers will leave, decreasing the number of players. However, they 2.2 billion remains here. In the end, the last player standing will obtain the entire 2.2 billion yen! How does that sound? Actually, since the winner must return their 100 million, the true amount they can obtain is 2.1 billion, but you can obtain 2.1 billion in cash!! Everyone here was chosen. Everyone here is being given such a lucky chance!*

**"You may be wondering where this money is? Well, everyone here has already been given 100 million. Take a look at the name plate on your chest. Do you see the pink jewel embedded inside of it? Those jewels are extremely rare, 3-carat pink diamonds. Each one is equivalent to exactly 100 million yen. For this second round, these name plates will be used as money. Thus, the victor will obtain his or her prize by exchanging them here for money."*

**A timid Australian woman spoke out through the silence "What happens to the losers?"*

**"Nothing in particular, since we lent 100 million at the start of the game, we will ask for it back."*

**It seemed to you almost everybody here was taken aback with shock, though such a cruel circumstance was expected from the rulers of this sadistic game.*

**"To return what you have borrowed, that is just common sense, wouldn't you agree? We will get our money back, no matter what means we must use."*

**The room was deathly still and silent in the wake of these final words. The corporation had show its true nature in that brief moment. Not a single person's eyes were lit up with the chance to win 2.1 billion. Everyone must have been thinking the same thing. It was the burden of bearing a 100 million yen debt.*

Well then,it is time to explain the main rules to this "game". The game that you shall all play is called 'Minority Rule'."

Looking at one another, you hear someone ask quietly "What's a minority rule?"

"I am sure you all know of majority rule?" Teto-sama continued, "It's what's often used at elections and meetings. It is commonplace that the majority takes the lead, always forcing the minority to be at a disadvantage. In our present age where democracy runs rampant, out world is certainly one of majority rule. What you, ladies and gentlemen, are about to play is a game that is the exact opposite of that.

"The majority will die and the minority will remain. That is the game of Minority Rule!"

_____

Part 2

"Allow me to explain the rules." Teto-sama said with a short laugh, silencing the crowd "You will be presented with a yes or no question. And in response, each player will cast a ballot with their answer. After all the ballots are cast, the votes will be tallied.

"At the end, those who voted along with the minority will be the winners. The winners will proceed to the next round of voting. However, it will be game over for the losers. The losers will be asked to leave the premises. 

"Of course, it is possible that there will be a tie, such as 11 to 11. In such a case, we will dismiss the round and ask everyone to vote again. And so, rounds of voting will continue until there are only one or two players left. Since it is impossible to have a minority will two or less, that is when we will officially conclude the game.

"At this point,everyone has a general feel for the rules, correct?"

_____

Part 3

After a long pause, Teto-sama, laughing behind his mask said "At this point, I am sure there are still questions that you would like to ask. However, since the actual game will commence tomorrow, we would like to conduct the first stage this evening. I will gladly take your questions after we have finished. But first, we will have a short intermission before we begin the first stage. Please, take some time to relax."

An hour passed, and few words were passed between the other players in the room. The atmosphere was tense. The time came for the first stage, as the players waited impatiently for Teto-sama's return.

Stepping back out from behind the curtain, Teto-sama turned back to the room, to a ripple of heads turning up to look to him. "Now then. Ladies and gentlemen, we will be starting the first stage. Please move to the adjacent room."

The players looked to each other and Teto-sama. One of the attendants opened a large wooden door leading into a bright, white room. One by one, you and the rest of the players filed inside. An immense room, white walls and white, tiled floors. A white board at the far end of the room, split into two with the titles "Yes" and "No" on either side. Besides that, a raised stage, and a ballot box, the room was totally unfurnished.

The doors closed as the last of the 22 players entered the room, and Teto-sama entered the room through a set of doors on the opposite side, and stepped up to the ballot box.

"Allow me to once more remind you of the rules. First, someone will be selected at random to propose a question. I, the dealer, shall conduct the random drawing of names, and that player will be the one to pose a question."

Drawing a name, Teto-sama read aloud a name. "Cassandra Kaitani."

A young Australian woman, startled, briskly made her way to the stage. "Right this way. Please offer us a question while standing here on stage."

"L-like what?" she asked.

"Whatever you like. For instance, 'Is Hyrule.net consitutional or unconstitutional?' However, there is one restriction. The question must contain a subject that can be definitively answered with either yes or no. Now it's your turn."

Flustered, wringing her hands, the woman turned to the room, face to the ground. Taking a breath, she posed her question "Are you... a woman?"

Immediately as she spoke, Teto-sama announced "Your fellow player has just posed the question: 'Are you a woman?'"

"At the same time a question is posed, each player will be given two ballots. One has a "Yes" and the other a "No". Those who wish to vote "Yes" shall [send to me via PM a "Yes"]. Likewise, those who wish to vote "No" shall [send to me via PM "No"].

"From this point forth, you will have up to 48 hours to make a decision. In other words, you have 48 hours to cast your vote."

Another pause, and more whispering throughout the room "48 hours to vote?" "Isn't that a bit long considering this game is meant to be based in a single day and in the source material it actually makes sense by being 6 hours? I suppose as a forum game it makes more sense to give more time to players, but in a real world scenario this is silly!"

"Of course... if there are those who wish to place their votes immediately, that is fine. If there are those who wish to use all 48 hours and vote right before the time limit, that is acceptable as well. However, if a placer does not place their vote within the time limit, they will unconditionally lose. Please be warned."

"You may begin."

_____

Part 4

[Horrific inconsistency for the sake of storytelling ensued, with the 48 hours being trimmed down to a mere 10 minutes, as in the manga there is first a brief rehearsal following this "Are you a woman?" story. Also tense jumping galore.]

You glance around the room. Seeing Cassandra step down from the stage, you think over the question again. "Are you... a woman?". Looking around, there were 6 women. 3 of the players were of dubious gender. Thinking logically, you consider it to be wise to answer yes to this. After all, there are more men than there are women in this room. You cast your vote, along with the remaining 21 players besides yourself.

After the time limit [of 48 hours but actually not] Teto-sama returned to the room, followed by an assistant holding a whiteboard marker. In silent he opened the ballot box, and began to read out the names and answers, the answer ballots with "Yes" or "No" having also the name of the player who cast the vote. His assistant began tallying up the votes. Currently at 6 "Yes" to 4 "No", it began to dawn on you. More "Yes" answers were drawn until at last all 22 votes had been counted. The result came to 14 "Yes" to 8 "No". Shocked, you realise your mistake. Those who votes "Yes" must have done so with the same logic as you had. Those who voted "No" must have predicted this, and acted accordingly, voting for the opposite to what they expected the others to vote for.

Teto-sama chuckled, seeing the horrified faces of those unwise enough to have voted in the majority. Attendants entered from either side of the room, and began to herd the defeated out into that dark room, and into the house. You were Nabeshin Kanzaki (werewolf at large!).

_____

Part 5

There was a short silence as the sounds of protesting and distraught players were lead away from the game. Teto-sama began to speak again "That's the true nature of this game. The real issue is voting for the side that seems more likely to become the minority. Whether it answers the question correctly or not is irrelevant. This is the Liar Game! In simple terms, the question is mere show. What is important in this game is how you get yourself into the minority - or, looking at it another way, how to deceive your fellow players into becoming the majority!

"Joining the minority is all about strategy and probing each other's mind. For that purpose, you are given 48 hours after each question to place your votes.

"The Minority Game is a deep one. If you can completely read your opponents, and if your strategy is perfect enough, it is possible to become the victor in just a single round. 21 to 1. Or rather, as I should now put it. 7 to 1."

This grim joke fell on a poor audience. The, for whatever reason, sinister game had shown it's true form at last.

"Allow me to offer you one last piece of advice: The key to controlling this game is not luck. It is time. This seemingly pointless, ample amount of time you are allotted - how you use it is everything in this game, I assure you. I assure you: The player who makes the best use of their time will win this game!"

Again, another pause for dramatic effect, which by now the players had grown exceedingly tired of.

"So, we will end the first stage here. The second stage will begin tomorrow. That being the case, we ask that everyone stay here until then. This mansion has been operating as a hotel. That is why we decided it would be the most comfortable place to host our event. I am sure you are all weary from your journey here, so please feel free to make yourself at home."

The remaining four players took the time to return to their rooms, and get themselves acquainted with their opponents.

Sahaqiel. LL. Cascade. Chase. Skridovaste. emsomniac. Chimetals. Knuckle.

_____

Part 6

The next day came, and the players rested. At 3pm, the players were brought again into that great, white, empty room. Teto-sama again approached the ballot box. Drawing a new name, he read aloud, "Sahaqiel Akiyama."

Sahaqiel approached the stage and, stepping up to the ballot box, turned and uncertainly asked "Do you like pumpkin pie?"

"Your fellow player has just posed the question: 'Do you like pumpkin pie?'" Teto-sama started "You may now begin the second stage of the second round of the Liar Game: Minority Rule!"

Welcome to the second stage, aka the first day of Hyrule.net's carelessly constructed Minority Rule!

To reiterate, here are the rules and how I'll be running the game. The flavor text gives a good explanation of this, but I understand it could be a pain to read all the way through. Most parts have relevant information though, so do try to read it.

Recap of rules and game mechanics.

Here's how the game will work:

• I will select a player to send me a yes or no question, eg "Are you a woman?", which they will send to me via PM or otherwise.
  • I will post the question along with identity of the question giver at the first post of the stage.
  • By the end of the stage, players will send me their answer by PM, either "Yes" or "No".
  • The votes will be tallied up. If for example 10 vote "Yes" while 7 vote "No", the majority voters who went with the answer "Yes" will be removed from the game, while the people who vote "No" will proceed to the next stage of the game.
  • This will repeat until either one or two people are left in the game, as with two people there cannot be a majority vote.
  • If there is a tie, nobody will be removed, and a new stage will begin.
  • I will nudge people towards the end of the stage phase to make sure they know to make their replies before the time runs out.

The rules will be as such:

• You must send me your answer by PM. Your vote will not be counted unless it is PM'd to me personally via PM or some other private messaging service.
  • You must send in your answer BEFORE the time limit is up.
  • If you abstain from voting, or don't vote before the time limit is up, you will be removed from the game.
  • Players, after being removed from the game, cannot make any last comments.
  • You can't take back your votes once you have confirmed them with me.

Most things besides threats of violence are allowed. Talking outside of the thread, whatever. There's no limits to what you are allowed to claim in the thread or anywhere. This is overall a game of lying and deceit after all.

Any questions, please ask.

The players are:

1. Sahaqiel
  2. LL
  3. Cascade
  4. Chase
  5. Skridovaste
  6. emsomniac
  7. Chimetals
  8. Knuckle

The question of the day is:

"Do you like pumpkin pie?" - Sahaqiel Akiyama

You have 48 hours in which to cast your votes, starting at 11:30pm GMT*, Feburary the 16th.

*the time of this post - for more time zone information: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

Agencereurich likes this

Posted

awwwwwwwwwww yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, game starrrrrrrrrrrrrt

Posted

I puppying love pumpkin pie oh my god.

Its like literally the best kind of pie.

Am I right? Of course I am.

Posted

people who don't like pumpkin pie man what a bunch of gaylords

Posted

What happens if everyone votes yes? Can we all win? And then get some pie?

I sure hope so.

Posted

I bet Saha hates pumpkin pie

Posted

nah man I eat that stuff like a vaccuum

the sweet succulent creamy pumpkin taste

Pumpkin pie all the way. Sweet potato is a cheap imitation.

Posted

I love pumpkin pie!

Posted

I feel like this is a game that revolves around Sicilian logic.

Posted

Sahaqiel. You can't possibly like pumpkin pie. 

We literally can't debate about this. Pick no.

Posted

gawd i love the stuff. i could probably eat an entire pie by myself.

Posted

Ever since I was a young boy I would eat pumpkin pie at family gatherings and stuff. Just that, ham, and rice.

My diet was very limited during family gatherings.

Posted

and then everyone secretly tells teto they hate pumpkin pie.

bastards.

im gonna tell him the truth.

maybe.

Posted

Pumpkin pie makes me feel sick. Ewwwwwwww. Why would anyone even eat it? If you're going to have a pie, you should at least make it a good pie.

Posted

I've never had pumpkin pie. This is the worst possible question to start the game off with for me. Damn. Hmmmmmm....

But yaaaaaay this game is happeningggg it sounds so fun <: