Minority Rule II

83 posts in this topic

Posted

There you have it folks, our question for the day is:

"Is dubstep a disgrace to music?" - Emsomniac Fukunaga

This stage starts now (11pm GMT, March 2nd) and lasts for 48 hours.

Posted

it's NOT a disgrace.

It's deff a shitty genre though.

Posted

I currently hold no opinion on this...

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

FYI, HarryPotterWizardBuddy is a musician and showed me the actual deffinition of dub step and it's not all WUB WUB WUB skrillex bullshit.

Posted

Skrillex does this thing called "Brostep" and it's catchy sometimes, idk, lol. I still think that a lot of dubstep is really brooding and lusty, and some of it takes me to dark places, so I don't listen to that kind of stuff. Things like Adventure Club's

and Skrillex's remix of La Roux's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpEOErRV-u4. Stuff that makes me think of people as lusting, shameful beasts. Musically and lyrically, it takes me into that mentality.

I don't really care a huge amount for the modulated bass + dub beat genres but it's not like they're automatically devoid of merit. It's just the new offensive musical genre on the block. Actually, the newest newest prominent one is Trap music, which happens to be the genre "Harlem Shake" comes from. Honestly I find Trap really boring and abrasive. Like, (recent) dubstep is aggressive and abrasive, but at least I didn't find it boring. That's just me; a lot of people like Trap. [ex. Spaceman (Carnage Festival Remix)]

I think people can be haters sometimes; no genre is really bad. Individual tracks can be bad, yeah, but just because they're this or that doesn't really make the genre awful. So instead of saying I don't like Trap, or Trap is bad, I'll say that I haven't found Trap that's right for me. Yeah?

Incidentally, because I am pretty into electronic music and I've gotten over the stigmas associated, I'll say that here are some -step tracks that I enjoy listening to.

Cassius - I Love You So (Schoolboy Remix)

Jansten - When the Beats Drop (Bassnectar Remix)

Watch Delta Heavy's video. It's actually one of the few times in recent history that a music video has impressed and surprised me. Also, the track's really good.

Don't listen to Schoolboy['s claims]; he calls it Why I Love You So feat. Kanye West and Cassius or something. Apparently Kanye sampled Cassius'

(why does he ruin everything) and he's calling this a remix of that track. I've listened to I Love You so pretty thoroughly in comparison; there is absolultely nothing different in terms of samples; he just added the synth and the drums and mixed it up. So it's not a remix of whatever Kanye did with it, I assure you. And as much as I try to ignore the preconceived notions that are carried with the label of the genre, I hate that there is dubstep all over the channel that's like, "Music4Cod". Jesus. I won't redact that I think a lot of people who compulsively listen to dubstep are metal kids who want to sound hardcore while listening to electronic music.

This doesn't really count as dubstep; it's a genre caled "Ghetto Funk", which is actually really awesome, and it incorporates modulated bass occasionally.

Status Quo - Army Now (Funkanomics Remix)

DJ A.K.A. - What It's All About

Army Now's remix really lends to the message of the original track; they tempt you with a soft-sounding call to arms to join an army, and then suddenly they "drop" (lol) you into a foreign land, and there are all these explosions and helicopters being downed. It's actually really effective musical metaphor when I listen to it; the modulated bass sounds like rotor blades, a lot of the sounds are explosion-like, and the foreign shouts. Then the tone shift from the intro and the rest of the track. Before the drop, it's like, there's a certain pride in saying "you're in the army now", helping your country and stuff, then afterwards, it's like "you're in the army now; WELCOME TO HELL". It's awesome.

Can't say much about What It's All About other than that it has the best scratching I've ever heard and it's awesome.

So you can probably gather that I don't think dubstep is a disgrace.

Or I could have put an insane amount of effort into this research just to make it seem like I'll vote No. :3

Posted

Oh hey Saha, in case you didnt know, the new member HarryPotterWizardBuddy is the guy who made Crystal Forest. So yeah he's in Hnet now.

Posted

o cool

but hey what a dick my post is on the last page now

Posted

;-)

Posted

I almost forgot about this. Glad I didn't. I can really take or leave dubstep. I didn't really discover it until like....really late. Like, I would get on my almost never visited facebook and see a bunch of people talking about it. For all I knew it was a kind of cheese. But I do that a lot, so yeah.

Posted

I believe we all know my stance on dubstep.

Posted

I believe we all know my stance on dubstep.

its okay if you love it.

Posted

"if this wont make you like dubstep I don't know what will" said the dealer, as music began to play

Posted

Lol i remember this video. Its not even a proper song. Literally just over laying songs on top of each other.

Posted

gonna go back and listen to all the links in sahas post tomorrow, since i wanna sleep as soon as i can tonight :/

i have some songs that my brother said(?) were dubstep, but its just the one artist (flux pavillion), and based on different peoples descriptions, it might be on the less exaggerated side of dubstep? dunno, ive kainda liked some of what ive heard. something about certain basetones or melodies or whatever.

and for some reason, i prefer for there to be some words. doesnt need to be lyrics, it can just be soundclips. i had

i liked a few years back (lost in computer transfers, i think omg i found it aaa its been years) that was made up of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f99PcP0aFNE. the song makes him sound like some passionate speaker in the middle of some dramatic crisis, and then the actual speech....

ive read sahas posts criticizing dubstep, and i remember him saying stuff like how they overused terms like "the drop" and shit, and executed those sounds excessively, etc etc. i dont think it should be the selling point of the song (if they overloaded the song with that, itd lose is effect on me and i wouldnt really like it), but i think i know what, musically, theyre trying to label, and i can understand the appeal of why theyd even name it, i guess? i mean, its got that sort of edgy feel of a name and bluh bluh bluh, but it also lends this sort of....i dunno. when that sound goes off right, i can get why theyd want to slap something cool-sounding on it. but like i said, itd have to be done right, and not by some punk whos like "im cool i have bass drops im gonna be the new big thing, right????".

im probably rambling, since i suck at putting this sort of thing into words, but i guess it just boils down to what i like in my music. good speed, catchy tune, even just one line of lyrics or a phrase that i like for no logically explainable reason, a musical phrase that just makes me wanna close my eyes and savor the ear-crack: any and/or all of those things are what generally attracts me to a song. and a well-executed sort of pitch-plunge happens to be one of those phrases, i guess.

its not dubstep, but it has what im taking about during the first two minutes about a pitch drop (though my favorite part is the ping afterwards. :3)--TM revolutions

more of what i imagine stereotypical dubstep to be?--

(again, i like something stupid and minor: the sirens :/ the how the rhythm changes, too, mostly around/during the sirens)

same bands http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuGZ6ed9Ae4, again, with the sound clip thing. nothing specific about this one i like, probably the content of the voice clips. wish i knew where they were from :?

freestylers remix of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npV1yIdzgY0, its the lyrics crossed with whatever kind of thing. and the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1VLaXoRRdk, too.

i guess with all this linkage, im trying to say that not all of the artist is like "wahwahwahwahFOOOOOOooooOOOooommmmmmmmwoawnwaownwaonwaonFOOOOOOOOOM" (damn was that fun to type.)

theres also the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWNPNVpfn0Uand two versions of

from a bunch of different artists that mixed in when i was downloading fluxs things. its just cool to hear all the things people can do with the same song.

i could probably link a lot more, but i kainda just dumped a whole lot of everyone :/ but if it werent for people telling each other what they listened to, i would have never found Does it Offend You, Yeah? (teto <3)

really, though, this game is about 90% random topic, 10% thinking/strategy. its kainda cool how it winds up being so active, and on things that we never really talk about simply due to them not coming up :>

Posted

Yeah, dubstep is a trendy thing that broke into the mainstream and had a bunch of marketing terms and buzz words like "bass drops" and "modulated/wobble synth" and even just the name sounds edgy and hip. So they really commercialized the dickens out of everything. It'd been around for years in Europe, but apparently even some European people still think Skrillex (an American artist) invented it. A lot of people know about it, but not a lot of people really know much about it, other than that it's loud and does the wubwubs. And I'm talking about the -step genres generally; I've heard classic dubstep and I've heard dub and dub house and stuff like that, and hey, I've actually heard a little 2-step garage. Neither really interest me that much. It's pretty much just another genre.

It disappoints me because it partially got popular on the underground feel, so I can't help but see people who think they're on like, the cutting edge of music when they listen to dubstep, and missed out on the 2010 - current? trend of Electroswing or are currently into Trap. People aren't very aware of how quickly and how often trends and breakthroughs happen in terms of musical styling, but some people are just like yeah man dubstep is the greatest genre of ALL TIME...

I'll listen to these tracks when I'm not dead tired, also.