Minority Rule II

83 posts in this topic

Posted

I might fall asleep before the deadline 2 hours from now.

If I do, consider it a stage extension until I end the stage at 10am GMT (5am EST), when I expect I'll at least be up by.

If I don't fall asleep however, I will end the stage as planned. This post is just here in case I do fall asleep.

Even if you have cast your vote already, remember that I will allow you to change it any time before I announce the end of the stage.

Posted

Chimetals I don't know any good dubstep honestly

I just listen to like two Skrillex songs and the Zelda Dubstep rap remix thingies by Ephixa feat. None Like Joshua

Posted

CHIMETALS/SAHA CONVERSATION:

I should clarify, techno doesn't necessarily have a house beat; if it does, and falls within the BPM, it's tech house. The house beat is in 4/4 time, has a kick drum on every beat, with hi hats or some other softer percussion on the offbeat, and a snare, snaps, claps, etc. on the first and third beats. It's notoriously catchy.

I should also clarify that there is a big difference between "letting the loops handle themselves" and effective looping. You see--and please bear with me--in actual funk music, there is this thing called vamping. Like, not electronic, just the guitars and drums and stuff. Vamping is repeating a simple, catchy musical phrase over and over, and conventional wisdom of the mainstream will say that repetition is a bad thing, but from a funk standpoint, when it's funky, it's amazing, obviously. When written on sheet music, it says "Vamp until _____" over a short segment. It becomes incredibly groovy and catchy and danceable, which is why funk was [and still is] so popular. In pop, there's the equivalent "riff", the catchy instrumental part they bring in a lot. In electronic music, this is brought through looping. I will bring up as an example, Daft Punk's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDBgbFk2d-A, Around the World, Stardust's [only track] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgAJWQCC7L0, Dave Armstrong's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUdgkJMZ2No, Together's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzzJB1oh7qE, and Sebastien Leger's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhHhqEA9Jac.

To me, these tracks demonstrate they know to an unnerving degree, how to make someone dance, and yet they're mostly the same loops played for the duration of the track; especially Musique and We Are. If you let the sound overtake you and you listen to all the layers and really get into it, that stuff's great. It's thumping, energetic, funky, and it holds on to the good parts just long enough and introduces variation when it's necessary. What I mean by just kind of letting the loops handle themselves is with a track like Jay J and Chris Lum's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI-vqgGMJuM. It's an 8:08 long track, the vocal doesn't start proper until 2:52, and the hook (the catchy part) doesn't happen until 4:15 and sticks around until around 6:30, and the rest is kind of filler. It's part of a genre called "deep house", so most of it tries to be groovy rather than funky, so you really have to be in a specific state of mind to listen the whole thing through and enjoy every bit of it, especially since the filler parts are just for mixing between tracks. The problem is when you chain a bunch of these tracks together and end up with a listening session that's mostly filler for mixing, played side by side. The guys who made Using You! probably didn't intend for people to listen to everything up to 2:52 and everything after 6:30, because those spaces are meant to be entirely intros or outros as a DJ is mixing into the "good parts".

So maybe I'm being a bit unfair since I have tracks mostly for listening and bouncing around to, and it wasn't the artist's intention to bore me for two and a half minutes, but sometimes artists abuse the percussion they should use for a short mixing intro nearly the whole time without doing anything interesting with the instrumentals. Have the same hi-hat throughout the entire track? Fine by me, as long as it's awesome. And of course, there are many different contexts from which something can be awesome, so again, what works for some doesn't work for others. It's my personal preference that the parts of the track meant for mixing should also double as an intro or outro if they're standalone.

Incidentally, Skrillex is kinda' bad at mixing.

So to answer your questions with the points from the spoiler tagged thing, that's why Beethoven was actually a Brostep artist.

i imagine the "letting the loops handle themselves (in a bad way)" as "what would happen if i was set loose with a mixer". i tried it, long ago, some audio splicing. one of those things that happened a few times, kainda like how id try messing with vocaloid software. it never, ever produced anything of value or even length >1 min.

and i guess you could say that they have different values if youre looking at them for mixing purposes and listening purposes. for the latter, those long drawn-out ones arent so great. my experiences with techno are mostly that kind.

Ephixa feat. None Like Joshua

i swear i had to reread this five or six times to realize there was a "feat." in there. which resulted in "none like me wat how did you know that was the name i--oh wait, feat. ok now that makes sense"

Posted

This is the most friendly, easy-going forum game ever seen on this forum. no bickering, no tears, no rage. i like it. :>

although i still know nothing (and will never care) about dubstep 

Posted

Cascade, i think the question is more about the principle of "wut qualifies as music" rather than "do you like this genre." Or at least it's kinda turned into that.

Posted

idk, i feel like its more about the differences of genres, the overall effect mainstreaming some things has had on others, misconceptions about musics, and the pros, cons, and typical qualities of dubstep, as well as qualities in different songs that annoy us and qualities that we like, as well.

Posted

The votes are in.

Though we haven't met the deadline yet, I have received all of the votes. And the results are...

uDnw2Mv.png

AAAAHHHH!!!!!!!

Six players have been removed this round, the minimum loss for a game of ten!

The remaining players are Necropolis, Emsomniac, Sahaqiel, and Knuckle!!!

From these four players, I will select one to offer up another player polarising question. Later on though, when you're all awake.

To the losers of this round, thank you very much for playing. Your participation has helped me learn more about how to run this game.

Posted

good luck guys!

Posted

There's a way to totally puppy up the game with four players that I wont allow, but I want to see if any of you can guess what it is. I'll say it when the question comes around.

(don't cheat by reading the manga)

edit: although it'd be a heck of a lot harder to pull off on a forum than irl

Posted

Woot. My rock paper scissors technique works in other settings.

Posted

Ah, the miracle of chance.

Posted

im lolling. ahahahahah im so bad at this, lol.

so I'm hoping people actually just keep up with how they're playing the game now
rather than using any actual tactics

also, i think that even if we used tactics, none of them would ever work :3

Posted

At this point, it's small enough that you can control it.

I want to spoil the fun and reveal the dick move that can ruin this 4 player situation, but I'll keep restraining myself so people can have a chance to guess what it is.

Posted

Lady Luck was not on my side this round... ):

lookin' forward to seeing how the next round plays out!