Forum Game(s) Idea.

26 posts in this topic

Posted

So this is an idea/suggestion. I made it separate from the suggestion thread because hopefully this topic can go on for a while and this'll be easier to collect the ideas. Please, everyone, contribute your thoughts and ideas on this because i think it could be really neat!

So I thought of this while talking to Teto and looking at his leader board in Minority Rule II. What if forum games (and possibly other stuff) were ranked with items (like the master sword in the shop) that would appear on your profile page. Like a trophy page. But different games would give different types of prizes. For instance, a werewolf game could give the winner one of the medallions from OoT, while a Minority Rule game might give you an Element (MC) or Pearl (tWW) or something. 

This could also lead people to "unlock" elite games. For example, keeping the werewolf game in mind, we could host several mini werewolf games, with a limited amount of people, with the prize being one of the elemental stones (OoT). Then once a player has won all three stones, they would be allowed into the bigger werewolf games where the prizes would be medallions.

Of course we'd havta make a difference between regular games and "official" games that give out a prize. However I think if we can do this, not only would this help stimulate the forums with the current users, but might also interest new users. And we wouldn't havta make this exclusive to forum games. They could be rewards for other things. In fact, we could also use these to host tournaments (such as Super Smash Brothers, or anything else online, really)

Also maybe implement a trading system?

Wut do you guys think about this idea? Id totally be willing to help with the art for the items.

Posted

on the one hand, i want to say "use points like another money system" but that nerfs the rupees somewhat, imo. on the other hand, i dont see anyone that would want to wager rupees. as a third option, though, rupee bonuses to winners would counteract that we dont earn rupees in the forum games section--its too easy to spam if we earned them there, but as a really active werewolf player, itd be p cool to be able to get them by winning or participating--and it wouldnt require a whole new store or monetary system. (though a win/lose count would still totally rock)

i went and reread your post, and having things as a sort of display trophies would be kainda cool, though they might clutter after a while. maybe we could have special games occasionally, with a unique trophy as a prize? while more minor games would have a more generic winners gift. maybe something for winning, losing, "honorable mention" (host's choice), anything else you can think of?

i think preliminary minigames to lead to bigger games would work better with more people. maybe if we could somehow nab people from other forums?

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

I think something like this would be awesome to encourage new users to join and partake in our forum games. The current users of the forum are a bit jaded so I wouldn't think that we'd place all that much importance into trophies or prizes, but I think there's a lot of potential for this if we want to get back into the game as a Zelda website.

For instance, what if some people got Kinstones for participation in games, and if someone else has a matching kinstone and they trade, each player gets Rupees or Pieces of Heart or something. That would be pretty ballin'.

I think Rupees definitely have potential, but only if we start giving them some kind of arbitrary value; like exchanging services or prizes for them. If some people start taking Rupees for Pearls or other things, they start having value. Maybe only let users play certain games if they have a certain Rupee count, and have wager matches that disqualifies users from playing the next game if they lose too many Rupees. (That would inspire us, the regular Werewolf/forum game users to place importance in activity and winning, and again, in Rupees in general) But again, this would work better if our website had a bunch of new users coming in and out.

If we start having services like these, it might encourage new users to come in, and maybe some of them will be dedicated enough to take up where our staff left off, making news posts and generating new content. I'd like to make a video guide, but my computer can't really take it and my mic isn't the best. Maybe when I get a new machine.

Posted

I think something like this would be awesome to encourage new users to join and partake in our forum games. The current users of the forum are a bit jaded so I wouldn't think that we'd place all that much importance into trophies or prizes, but I think there's a lot of potential for this if we want to get back into the game as a Zelda website.

For instance, what if some people got Kinstones for participation in games, and if someone else has a matching kinstone and they trade, each player gets Rupees or Pieces of Heart or something. That would be pretty ballin'.

all i know is that i love my useless little nicknacks and collectables :> and yesssssssssss omg kinstones.

i really think that wagering rupees in games would make them more fun, too. not a huge amount or anything, just start at like, ten. maybe work the system like tetos been doing, where the GM gets part of the pooled rupees, or just a set amount.

not sure how best it would work for werewolf--for a wolf win, "taking the winners worth and having them split the rest" makes sense, but not in the case of a town win (thatd be silly). at the same time, rigging games to favor wolves just to get more rupees wouldnt work, either. even having a set number of rupees going to GM from a town win would severely lower each town players winnings. i guess indie wins would be counted with whichever side won in the end, or would have a separate win amount pre-set or something.

still, for town vs wolf wins, the math would fall out something like this (17 roles--3 wolves, everyone bets 10 rupees)

wolf win: 170 rupees-->32 rupees to GM, each wolf gets 46 rupees. (or GM29/W47ea, if the GM is nice)

town win: 170 rupees-->30 to GM, each person gets.....their own rupees back....

town win, GM takes odd rupees out (2): each person gets 12 rupees back.

another thought: wolves pay 20 rupees instead of 10 (everyone pays at the end of the game, so that there isnt any moronic "20 rupee drop! wolf!" business) due to their larger payout. higher risk, higher payout.

town win: 200 rupees-->GM takes nothing, everyone gets 14 rupees. everyone makes something of a profit, but not that much. tbh, id rather have it be around 20 rupees each, but barring the GM tossing in 70 rupees, theres not a very good way of making that happen.

personally, i think itd be cool to throw my lot in with the wolves, but even tossing in 20 rupees would only get townies an extra rupee, and then youd have to worry about the GM rigging the game a bit. but if the rupees are managed solely by the players/GM, without any outside source/donated rupees/weird new system, then we wouldnt need anything new to use it.

Posted

And then there are dropped games or games that might decidedly be broken; think GMP's game that we all just kind of said didn't count.

Maybe a mod of the forum could store the Rupees, rather than the GM, because we have varying levels of responsibility. I think this would be a great idea if we started generating content. I worry sometimes that we've just infected the forums and are going to up and leave without successors to rebuild. So maybe we pool our Rupees and wager them. Even inactive people somewhat care about being able to enter future games, so it would give them more of a reason if losing meant losing the capacity to play next time.

In fact, what if like, all members got like 10 Rupees and the economy is kind of based on how thriving the site is. Everyone starts at 10 and the currency kind of just circulates or accumulates, and the forum games promote activity and interest. This idea sounds really awesome in my head, and I really would like us to do something kind of unique and cool like this. Maybe bonuses per post, idk. I don't know if there's even forum stuff that can do all this-- it would all be up to Tappy to figure out. But I like the idea that there's a set amount of money at any one time, and it's based on how many users are active on the forum. Or like, only give the Rupees to people who've posted more than five times, and that's their starting currency.

It would add a layer of dynamics into our forum, and maybe we could advertise that we're working to be more of a community site again. I think things like this might be fun and enthralling to take part in. I really want to make a guide for the forum, just to contribute something that we're drastically in need of to make our site more independent, and if we attract more users, then it might get better from there.

Posted

due to stalled games and such, id almost say that no one pays anything till the end of the game. that way, theres no mass re-distribution if the GM decides to force-end it with no winner.

as for the fixed number of rupees idea, i think adding more to the shop would fix that, or requiring X number of rupees for a name change. rupees for posts is fine as it is now, as its a reliable form of earning rupees. i dunno how other people feel about shop items, but im sure as hell saving up for that master sword, and if i could get just thaaaaaaat much closer to it thaaaaaaat much faster, i would.

we could also do spring cleaning types of things, where we purge our rooms of whatever things we dont really want, but someone else might. old plushies, games we dont play anymore, maybe some fanart we drew--things in good condition, but wed rather give them away--and then have a lotto like tappy did for that one game a while back. people could buy tickets with the rupees, and then send it to the winner afterwards or whatever. though having a thread for "would anyone want this?" rather than putting up any old junk would be good.

Posted

Well, I don't want the Rupees to be convenient to obtain by any one person; that's the point. Making it up to how many people are here and how friendly we are with them would put more incentive into getting new users, and if they're only given to new users with like 5 posts, people can't just create a bunch of users and spam without getting banned or having Rupees confiscated. Rather than it being up to our comfy niche system where we depend upon regulars to populate the place and no one else, it would be up to how many people we can get in here and how much the economy is effected by new people, and more importantly, how nice we are to them, because otherwise, there would be no other way to get more Rupees, as user trades are up to mutual agreement. I'm trying to think of how to make this more healthy for the forums.

Posted

if im reading it right, youre saying we should limit the total number of rupees based on new people? interesting, but with the store prices and such, i wouldnt want something that limited. maybe if they came in with kinstones or something, that could encourage interactions between new people and older members, like "hey, new kid, wanna match kinstones?". if kinstones arent tradable, then spam wouldnt be an issue, and more kinstones could be bought in the store, maybe? and/or a rupee lock, where theyd need at least 10 rupees before being able to give them away, trade them, or receive them?

and then the kinstones would unlock.....one of several somethings, at least some of which are exclusive to kinstone interactions? this is about where i think things are a bit more complicated, and would require some beautiful code, or at least some code to execute. maybe we could have a coding thread, idk.

more importantly, how nice we are to them, because otherwise, there would be no other way to get more Rupees, as user trades are up to mutual agreement.

being nice is always good, of course. the way i see it, though, we need to find ways to get more traffic into this place. theres always gonna be people that join on a whim and then just kainda never show up afterwards. they make a nice intro, everyone is like "sup!" nothing bad happens, and then we never see them again. more people means more people that are likely to not do that, imo.

Posted

i forgot about this thread......

Posted

Well Chimetals, I think the Rupee economy would be pretty fun to partake in, in conjunction with forum games. My idea with the forum games is that users wishing to participate in a game like Werewolf or Minority Rule or any similar GM'd game would pay into a pot based on how many Rupees the GM wants the game to require, directly to the moderator of that forum. It would be great because it would really be determined on how responsible the GM is; if players don't trust him or her they'd be less likely to play a game they suspect to be broken. The moderator is notified when a game ends, and distributes the winnings appropriately. Since it's all done by just mutual agreement and human interactions, it would be a lot more charming than an automatic system, and it would feel more organic. If the game isn't updated after a certain amount of time, the game can be declared dead and the Rupees would be returned. If the game is declared broken by many of the users, the Rupees would be returned once a consensus is reached.

Pretty much, it'd be like playing an actual MMO of sorts; the more people there are, the more money is in the economy, only it's more strictly based on how many people there are; the more people there are, the more people would host a variety of games that people can take part in as well, and there'd be more of a demand for Forum Games moderators that handle the Rupee transactions based on wins and losses. People would get "gear" based on the amount of effort they put into forum games, and they would further stimulate the economy with rarities like Kinstones that are 100% based on social interaction, and in turn, users would have fun adjusting rates in forum games to fit the economy, or we could have high stakes games that would be a lot more devastating to lose in. I can see a somewhat addictive aspect to it, and if we integrated ideas like this into the forum more, I think it would help our turnout and "stick rate" a lot.

This is more of a community idea than a content idea; that's a whole separate issue. But it's a way to connect the veterans with the new users via common interest. We like playing and hosting forum games, and new users probably would too, especially if there's a coolio money system involved that allows them to get tangible forum points that aren't based on likes. Because likes are awful in the first place.

I can see a veteran losing big in a forum game and asking for Rupees or a Kinstone trade with someone he or she may not know, and then there'd be another connection there and incentive to not be standoffish, rude, and I emphasize this appropriately, it would be good incentive to be actually nice to people, even if their interests and humor are different than ours.

Also, I don't know what the prices in the shop are, nor do I know who has how many Rupees. We can adjust that if we really do have a crazy new user-based economy. At the same time, insanely high prices would be for some insane participation and only when we get a certain amount of people in the place, so I think that would be really cool.

Maybe when a new user first gets 5-10 posts, he or she gets his or her first Kinstone, and then they get a Kinstone per like, 50-100 posts? That would require a new user to use his or her Kinstone to connect with existing members of the forum, and it's a great themed item that embodies the idea of connectivity. It would also be really cool if you're just posting along and you get that temporary "Oh, cool" feeling by being notified that you've been given an item you can match with users to get Rupees, and you'd have to seek out a member or post a status asking for a Kinstone match. Even in passing mention, you might remember that someone has a certain kind of Kinstone; you may or may not know that person, but you'd still match with them and gain new social interactions and connections.

In a way, we'd turn Forum Games, the Shop, and the Rupee system into an actual game. In my head it sounds like it has a lot of potential as an addictive and appropriately themed way to supplement the forums. In fact, I can see it getting kind of huge if we get the ball rolling.

Posted (edited)

I can do a lot of stuff with the shop plugin.

I still don't want to enable getting rupees for posting in the  forum games section, as it would be too easy to obtain them. But what I could do is ad "Rupee Packs" to the store so you could buy say 200 Rupees as 1 item so you can trade it to someone and they can sell it to obtain their 200 rupees.

I can also add just plain trophy like items, much like the Triforce Share and Master Sword. They both don't do anything but look nice, and the triforce shard can only be obtained by me giving it to someone manually.

Also item trading is possible and has always been enabled, I just haven't gotten around to adding stuff.

Edited by Michael (see edit history)
oriflameacadahogar likes this

Posted

speaking of heart containers, instead of ranks we should have the little heart gauge.

mods could have blue hearts and admins like, purple or something?

Posted

Did you read the posts, Tappy? None of us were suggesting that we get Rupees from posting in Forum Games; I suggested we have a pot for certain games and each user has to pay a fine that is distributed to the winners at the end of the game, by the Forum Games moderator/s.

If you have time I suggest reading through the posts; I think we could make a really cool system for this.

Also, I really really like the hearts. This is awesome.

Posted

what saha said. and eeeee hearts. i log in at 4 am and im all "OMG HEARTS"

suddenly i have this urge to scour the site for pieces of heart, hidden in obscure threads.

Posted (edited)

So what are they going to use to pay a fine? You guys were hinting at wanting to use rupees so I offered a suggestion for rewarding rupees back, you can either just send rupees or just buy the rupee pack and trade that as a reward, and at the same time I thought I would make it clear that I wouldn't be enabling rupees in the forum games section anytime soon...

Edited by Michael (see edit history)