Forum Game(s) Idea.

26 posts in this topic

Posted

weve just been kainda thinking that itd just be one big rupee pot. depending on the game, everyone would pay at the end (werewolf), or at the beginning, as the GM decides. otherwise, weve just been yapping about minor details of how the mechanics would work, ow much people would use, the math of it, etc etc.

lol, i wouldnt expect you to enable rupees in forum games, id say about 70% of posts in there are contentless or very very short. having rupee wagers would, imo, be the counterbalance, in that people could still earn rupees (from winning/each other) but it would be based on the game, not on the proportion of the posts. bit more competition in the games, maybe a tad more excitement/activity, more drive to go post elsewhere so we can have the pocket change to play....things like that :3

also, been meaning to ask: whats the mechanics of the hearts atm? post count?

Posted

I was saying that it'd be cool if the amount of Rupees we have isn't really based so much on how much we posts, but how many new users there are. But after that I decided that it'd be cool if we just had Kinstones for posting in increments of 100 posts (after the first 10) instead, because it would force us to trade and interact with people we might not know based on the chances of having the same kind of Kinstone. Upon trading a Kinstone of one kind with a Kinstone of the same kind, both Kinstones would be destroyed (maybe you could have a counter for how many of each kind of Kinstone you've matched just for fun?) and both players would get like, a Piece of Heart or Rupees or some other trinket.

Like, for new users, they'd get a Kinstone at around 10 posts (to prevent people from creating new accounts and spamming to get easy Kinstones), and it'd give them incentive to ask around for a match or for us to trade with them and be nice to them.

For the Forum Games, I was thinking that for each forum game that requires a host (Werewolf, Minority Rule, any others) we could raise the stakes of each game by making players pay Rupees based on the forum economy. Like, if 10 Rupees is expensive, the GM might decide that everyone has to pay 7 Rupees to play in his or her game. That way, if a player loses in the game, they could lose a lot of their Rupees, preventing them from entering in future games. That would give larger incentive to be active in the games, and gives priority to Rupees that wasn't there before. There could be a moderator in the forum that handles the Rupee transactions in case the GM quits, the game dies, etc. so the users can get their Rupees back if the game dies or is declared broken.

And say a user loses big in a Werewolf game and doesn't have enough Rupees to play the upcoming forum game; he or she would have to ask another user to trade him or her Rupees, or that person might have a Kinstone in reserve for something like this.

It's a really great themed way to make Rupees useful, and it would turn Forum Games, the Shop, and the Rupee system into a kind of literal game.

Also, I doubt you can do this with the forum software, but if you could somehow many the amount of Heart Containers as items in the shop you have make our heart count increase, that would be amazing.

Posted

yay hearts! I was hopping they'd look more retro, with a white outline, but beggars cant be choosers. YAY hearts!

Posted

1) For the Forum Games, I was thinking that for each forum game that requires a host (Werewolf, Minority Rule, any others) we could raise the stakes of each game by making players pay Rupees based on the forum economy. Like, if 10 Rupees is expensive, the GM might decide that everyone has to pay 7 Rupees to play in his or her game. That way, if a player loses in the game, they could lose a lot of their Rupees, preventing them from entering in future games. That would give larger incentive to be active in the games, and gives priority to Rupees that wasn't there before. There could be a moderator in the forum that handles the Rupee transactions in case the GM quits, the game dies, etc. so the users can get their Rupees back if the game dies or is declared broken.

2) And say a user loses big in a Werewolf game and doesn't have enough Rupees to play the upcoming forum game; he or she would have to ask another user to trade him or her Rupees, or that person might have a Kinstone in reserve for something like this.

3) Also, I doubt you can do this with the forum software, but if you could somehow many the amount of Heart Containers as items in the shop you have make our heart count increase, that would be amazing.

1) this would be p awesome. though i like my idea where wolves would have to bet more since they get more (lets face it--the maths for the town payout show that the town payout would suck pretty badly if the wolves paid the same amount). changing the cost per game is a good move, too, since some people have famously better games than others, etc. i guess either everyone could pay at the end of the game (so if the game stalls, there isnt a mess of trying to give back rupees) or if you really wanted to make sure the players wouldnt spend their everything mid-game, they could pay a set amount up front across the board, and if the wolves lose, theyd pay the extra wolf amount at the end of the game.

2) or it would encourage them to find things that they could go post more in. like, "hey, that thread you keep seeing but havent bothered to sit down and type something for? its calling your name"

3) id vote pieces of heart. that way, its kainda like the games system--you defeat a boss (post X amount) you get a heart container. you run around exploring (posting places) you find (buy) heart pieces :3

Posted

i think for werewolf games, with the imbalance of the amount winning, people should all just pay whatever they want to enter (with maybe a minimum fee) and their winnings should just be double what they put in, regardless of player count and overall wagers. Maybe the werewolves would get x2.5 or even x3 since their role seems more difficult. the rupees won would just come outta "the system" the same way we get rupees for posting.

I like the idea of a wager poll with a "all or nothing" win, but i dont think that works well in game with multiple winners.

Posted

1) I don't think the wolves should have a larger fee; if anything, they should have a lower one. It's notoriously difficult for wolves to win in our Werewolf games that have the ability systems and everything. Say you have a game where there are 10 participants, 2 of which are wolves, and you pay 10R each, except for the wolves who pay 8R, for a total pot of 96R. If the town wins, each of the 8 players on the Town side get 12R, and the wolves lose the 8R. I think this is more fair than the wolves losing 10R or even 12R, because if they did, the town would get 13R and the wolves would lose 12R.  Since the games are almost always biased towards the town, having the drawbacks of being a wolf minimized and the rewards maximized gives a lot more motivation for wolves and players, because they might lose their regular price. Though I'm thinking that maybe, if the wolves win, it should be that they get a sixth of the total pot each and the town gets half their entry fee. So in the case of Town paying 10R and the Wolves paying 8R, the Wolves would get 16R each and the town would get 5R back. So the total profit of each side is TOWN: -5R, WOLVES: +6R. If Town wins, the profit is: TOWN: +2, WOLVES: -8. The wolves would have a profit separation of +11R if they win and a profit separation of -10R if they lose. Something like that.

That being said, I really support the idea of a Forum Games GM who acts as the treasurer. The entry fee to a game would be just that; an entry fee, not an IOU. That would defeat the purpose of forcing users to interact with people who have more Rupees, and there would be the possibility of falling into debt, which I would rather not have the drama over. So instead of trivializing Rupees, we should make it more set in stone that you must have this amount of Rupees in order to participate, no questions asked.

2) Yeah it's p. cool, but Tappy's informed me that Kinstones wouldn't work on our current forum software. ):

3) Same with this one; you probably can't rank up based on Heart Containers.

i think for werewolf games, with the imbalance of the amount winning, people should all just pay whatever they want to enter (with maybe a minimum fee) and their winnings should just be double what they put in, regardless of player count and overall wagers. Maybe the werewolves would get x2.5 or even x3 since their role seems more difficult. the rupees won would just come outta "the system" the same way we get rupees for posting.

I like the idea of a wager poll with a "all or nothing" win, but i dont think that works well in game with multiple winners.

Well, maybe; it's not like, a system function. The prices are up to the GM: high stakes or low stakes, or some crazy fiesta stakes like you are suggesting, based on how daring people want to be. But we can't make it so a win is counted in the system as something to give Rupees; we aren't technically skilled enough in the forum software to handle something like that, probably. So I say it should just come out of a pot.

oriflameacadahogar likes this

Posted

oh okay. Im glad my thread is actually not a piece of shit like most of them turn out to be.

Posted

1) I don't think the wolves should have a larger fee; if anything, they should have a lower one. It's notoriously difficult for wolves to win in our Werewolf games that have the ability systems and everything. Say you have a game where there are 10 participants, 2 of which are wolves, and you pay 10R each, except for the wolves who pay 8R, for a total pot of 96R. If the town wins, each of the 8 players on the Town side get 12R, and the wolves lose the 8R. I think this is more fair than the wolves losing 10R or even 12R, because if they did, the town would get 13R and the wolves would lose 12R.  Since the games are almost always biased towards the town, having the drawbacks of being a wolf minimized and the rewards maximized gives a lot more motivation for wolves and players, because they might lose their regular price. Though I'm thinking that maybe, if the wolves win, it should be that they get a sixth of the total pot each and the town gets half their entry fee. So in the case of Town paying 10R and the Wolves paying 8R, the Wolves would get 16R each and the town would get 5R back. So the total profit of each side is TOWN: -5R, WOLVES: +6R. If Town wins, the profit is: TOWN: +2, WOLVES: -8. The wolves would have a profit separation of +11R if they win and a profit separation of -10R if they lose. Something like that.

That being said, I really support the idea of a Forum Games GM who acts as the treasurer. The entry fee to a game would be just that; an entry fee, not an IOU. That would defeat the purpose of forcing users to interact with people who have more Rupees, and there would be the possibility of falling into debt, which I would rather not have the drama over. So instead of trivializing Rupees, we should make it more set in stone that you must have this amount of Rupees in order to participate, no questions asked.

2) Yeah it's p. cool, but Tappy's informed me that Kinstones wouldn't work on our current forum software. ):

3) Same with this one; you probably can't rank up based on Heart Containers.

1) thats another interesting take on it. i cant remember if i had the GM throwing in their lot with the wolves or not (putting some of their own rupees in in the event of a town win) and thus the extra cost would balance the GMs sort of not really predisposition to the wolves, but the overall idea i had was that +2 to town is a meh payout, imo. but to ask the GM to make the payout bigger would result in a bigger loss for the GM than even the losing players, so either no one would want to host, or the games would be subconsciously rigged heavily to the wolf side.

and i was suggesting that while they pay at the end, or pay an entrance fee and then a bit more at the end if they roll wolf and lose, that the GM shouldnt let them in if they dont have the required rupees. i didnt really clarify that, though.

2/3) yeah, i figured it wouldnt work, but daymn itd be cool ;u;

Posted

Well that was just a suggested thing. It'd just be nice if it was weighted more in favor of a wolf win and town win was satisfying but not like the hugest amount of Rupees ever because it's not super impressive that the town wins.

Posted

Wut kind of prizes can the treasure orbs contain?

Posted (edited)

Wut kind of prizes can the treasure orbs contain?

Rupees, contest tickets, trinkets or trophies.

Some items might be like change your username or something since there is a limit on how many times you can change your name in X days.

Edited by Michael (see edit history)