Downsizing Game

135 posts in this topic

Posted

Seriously, though, we should hand-deliver Tappy some Arby's.

Posted

What do you think needs to change?

I would change everyone's avatars to an equals sign because

Posted (edited)

I would change everyone's avatars to an equals sign because

As much as that is sort of a cool thing...

RUDE. :U

Why can't you just accept my avatar or lack  thereof for what it is LL 

Edited by 2jo4 (see edit history)

Posted

Reminder: You must send me your five votes before the end of the 48 hour round. The round will end about 7 hours from the time of this post.

You have five votes. You can use those votes however you like. For every vote you don't use however, you get a negative point. So use them all. You don't have to use all votes on a single person. You can spread them out between players however you like. I'm not discouraging or encouraging any kind of voting though; do it however you like. I'm also okay with you abstaining from voting at all; it's your loss.

I'm going to send everyone PM threads for sending in their votes just now.

Posted

secret strategy: dont vote the entire game, be as charismatic as possible to gain everyones votes.

Posted

Bonus strategy: lose so hard you win pity points

Posted

I'd make everyone's avatar a cutesy Animal Crossing avatar if I was in charge! Like mine! (o:

Also I totes just sent my votes away the now. In case I don't get online again before the round ends. I'm excite for the resultsss

Posted

Wait but results aren't even posted, right?

Posted

For each vote you don't make, you lose one point. At the end of each round you will be ranked by number of points, and the rankings will be posted at the end of the round. The game will last for 5 rounds. Each round will last 48 hours. Delays between each round may vary.

maybe not the exact results of who voted who but I mean rankings are still exciting to see :L

Posted

I'm going to post the rankings of who has how many votes at the end of each round. The details of who voted for who will not be posted.

At first I wasn't sure about end of round rankings, but I decided it would be better to keep them. Mostly to keep people interested, and in the case of people who vote tactically, just to maybe make it a little bit easier.

Posted

So to promote strategy, keep people who are technically out of the game in the game so that people throw away their votes voting for them?

Am I just dumb?

Posted

I don't know. I don't even know how to play this game properly. Like I said, it's a glorified chat thread is what I was hoping to carry over from the last game. Tactical voting is too difficult to do really. Unless you're really clever. I just kind of like the idea that people can try and find a way to play it properly, and just go trial and error style.

Ideally people will actually put thought into their votes, but I don't know if they actually are doing so. It's a pretty impossible game to control from my point of view. I just want to try it out. Maybe if I ever do this again after this time, I'll make it a rule that people vote honestly, and we'll go Minority Rule style, with rankings of people who voted with in the minority the most often.

Dunno though. It can be off putting because of the unpredictable nature of it. I kind of hoped people would get interested enough to run their own game with their own tweaked rules. At the very least, get people interested in trying to make their own original games. Of course, this isn't entirely original, since it's (now loosely) based on rules from games played in a manga series, but ultimately I hope it warps beyond recognition until it becomes something people actually can and want to play.

The first two games were just two of basically the same, and then I got a sense of what people might like about them, and so I tried messing with the makeup of the game to make this Downsizing Game, removing the elimination part and going for a favouritism voting style. The way it'd predicted is through more thorough examination of the conversation, but that relies too much on people actually participating, and then also voting honestly with thought, which isn't something people tend to do. Minority Rule voting in retrospect is a lot simpler and easier to predict, or at least try to predict. Easier to think about anyway; "They might think I'm voting this way, so I'll vote the other way to get in the minority!" and so on. I hope that having a scoreboard will help people predict things. It's hard though, when your voting isn't in order to get yourself to win, but rather choose who will win. You're voting people up rather than down. It might be hard for some people to get their head around (kind of like me; I have no idea how I'd play this game either).

Posted

Sorry I wasn't trying to take the fun out of it. I'm just gonna go with the flow

Posted

Liar Game spoilers. If you intend on reading the manga (it's really cool and crafty, totally do it) then don't read this. Major spoilers for the whole Downsizing Game (Survival Round) arc. I pretty much explain exactly what happens in it, for no real reason but just because it's fun to explain because it's so cool. So it wont help at all in this game.

The major component of the original manga version of Downsizing Game that can't really be implemented here is M Tickets. Each player is given money to do with what they will during the round. In the manga, the main character ends up in a shit place, with 0 votes, where everybody else soars ahead with tens of votes. Then the genius guy comes in. She uses her M Ticket to buy peoples' votes, meaning they give her their own votes for the round, or a cut of the votes they've already received. She does this with every player, until at the end of the round, the votes are recounted, and she pretty much has a monopoly over the whole game. Everybody else is suddenly in last place, since she was before when she had 0, and so they all fall into panic. At this point, genius guy takes the opportunity to sell off main character's votes to the other players for extortionate prices, raising the price every time, taking advantage of their panic. Since pretty much every player is low in votes, and every time someone gets into the safe zone, someone drops out, everybody keeps coming to buy more votes. It's pretty cool.

Sorry I wasn't trying to take the fun out of it. I'm just gonna go with the flow

I know. I just have a lot of thoughts about it, and am still very dissatisfied with how impossible it is to play, unlike with Werewolf.

Posted

It's okay though, I think that figuring out how to make it work is a good idea. Maybe think of this as the prototype version, we your test subjects :)