Downsizing Game

135 posts in this topic

Posted

This is the Homework thread for the next 2-3 days. All Homework related chatter is allowed. Any and all homework is permitted here. Impress the other members into giving you their votes!

I like how I'm unintentionally putting in a capital H because of Homestuck.

For the sake of people who don't have homework, just talk about general stuff you have to get done. Same can go for people who don't have much to say about their homework, or maybe just want to talk more after finishing talking about homework. Today you will basically discuss your to-do lists I suppose, and in some cases going into more detail about certain points on them.

Posted

I have an exam tonight too D: Goddammit.

Posted

GET WRITING

Posted

Well, since I don't get homework anymore...

I just spent the last hour and a half of my life deep-cleaning our flat's kitchen, since my flatmates seem literally incapable of understanding the basics of keeping a kitchen clean. FOR EXAMPLE: if the bin is full when you need to put rubbish out, you take the bins out instead of stuffing it so bad when I go to take it out ALL THE CRAP. FALLS ALL OVER MY CLOTHES AND THE FLOOR. 

ALSO: if you spill food on the counters, just puppying clean it right there and then instead of leaving it and it stains and solidifies and gufhgktnhgjhnyt AND JUST CLEAN YOUR DISHES WHEN YOU'VE USED THEM INSTEAD OF LEAVING THEM ALL OVER THE KITCHEN TO STINK UP THE PLACE >:|

My flatmates are really nice but they can be right manky bastards at times.

In happier (well, as happy-sounding as a boring chores list can sound) news: I'm looking at this really neat Easter sale for railcards atm (you get a 1/3 off train ticket prices when travelling for 3 years for the cost of a normal 2 year railcard. and tickets here can get ridiculously expensive.) and I'm tempted to get it! Well, I need to decide this weekend, the offer ends on the 1st April :< £56 though... will have to see if I can spare that much until my next benefit. :x

Posted

Spring break starts for me today, so I don't even have homework 'til Monday after next. I feel so bad for you all, though.

Homework puppying sucks.

It's hard not to type Homestuck.

Teto likes this

Posted

Have a shitty pseudoscience post that is meant to be shitty sounding and not actually science-y
No, seriously, this professor forces this on us just to see how shitty it is to write pseudoscience and to never do it

It's not even a paper in so much as it's a presentation so I only have BULLET POINTS

Future of space travel

• Will either have to use high speed space travel

OR

• Make space travel bearable for long durations of time that comes with the current standard speed

Faster than light travel

Wormholes

• Traversable wormholes are typically connect one point in space-time to another be it through space or through time or both. 
  • Travel at speeds faster than light would be too strenuous for all living species known to man. 
  • Travel through a wormhole could achieve faster-than-light travel due to the fact that a wormhole essentially warps the space between two points in such a way that travel through the wormhole could be at relatively tolerable speeds and still be faster than light traveling outside the wormhole.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormhole)

Warp drive

• Warps space around a craft
  • Warp in space acts similar to wormhole in that travel in the space can exceed the speed of light outside of the space
    • Objects within the space will be traveling at the same speed as they were prior relative to the space craft which makes collision handling easier

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warp_drive

What if

• Faster than light travel is further in the future than we thought?
    • At best, interplanetary travel would take a few months
    • Travel while conscious requires resources such as food as the body metabolizes at its normal/active rate
    • There are no pitstops in space
    • “Are we there yet?” - travel with nothing to do is always boring

Cryosleep

• The preservation of biological life through the use of low/freezing temperatures
  • Presence of amphibians on Earth that have special properties in their blood that allow them to be frozen over winter and be revived when thawed(http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070220-frog-antifreeze.html)
  • Freezing stops biological activity entirely
    • If technology is found to revive a frozen subject, cryogenics can save resources that would be spent on travelers on their voyage in space
    • Can also have uses in the medical field

Hibernation

• The suppression of metabolic processes, slowing of breathing and heart rate.
  • Unlike cryosleep, the bodily processes are slowed rather than stopped. 
    • Less likely to be fatal
  • Animals on Earth use it to conserve energy in times where food is scarce(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernation)
    • Starts by consuming food prior to hibernation to increase energy stored
  • Requires less perishable resources
  • Cycles of consciousness can help the traveler maintain physical strengt

It's so shitty. Oh my god I can't look at this without cringing.

Posted (edited)

That all sounds really interesting, but I guess being that my interests are in science fiction, and not the hard, asimov school, the crazy ass frank Herbert school, not in actual science I can't really contribute to that thought.

Homework and I have a fragile relationship. It is such because I rarely ever do it, because my tests are always good enough that I don't really have to sweat homework. Of course in classes I am not so good at this can be crippling, because my gut instict is, "Pssh that stuff's for suckers."

This can cause problems.

Edited by Necropolis (see edit history)

Posted

That all sounds really interesting, but I guess being that my interests are in science fiction, and not the hard, asimov school, the crazy ass frank Herbert school, not in actual science I can't really contribute to that thought.

Pseudoscience is pretty much sci-fi. Actually, sci-fi sometimes adds factual/actual theoretical things to make it seem more plausible.

Posted

Maybe there will be multiple downsizing games? Like, later on we can start another, and eventually it'll have its own subforum like Werewolf does.

i feel like having multiple talk threads might increase chatter, but as far as votes go, idk.

Ive got homework due tomorrow, which now that i look at it, is mostly looking up definitions and basically busywork. on the other hand, i have an exam where i basically need to re-teach myself everything in one night. and i made the mistake of touching my ds today and getting sidetracked by advance wars. and after a talk with earthy on kid icarus's history, i really wanna play the 3ds i cant open until next friday, specifically, the NES re-port of the first game, maybe some uprising, and buying the second (gameboy) re-port.

Posted

I've finished all my exams and assignments and stuff for like, the next two or so months, I'm so happy. Long weekend and just some physics and chem homework to tide me overrrrr <3

Posted

i just had a lovely breakdown on skype followed by trying to look up japanese majors at my school to see if that was even something i could transfer into, or rather, if my credits would transfer. all because my senior design class and the advanced japanese class (which would be hard to sneak into, anyway) occupy the same damn time slot. i finally get approval from my councilor that i can take japanese again, and theyre in the same goddamn spot.

and people always ask me why im in my major if im having such a shite time of it. at this point, i have no goddamn idea. i just want out asap. out via graduation, so i can start sending monies to my parents for them having to pay for me and my bros schoolings, and buy videogames and have actual time to do things that i want to do.

at this point, that feels like some sort of pipe dream, because im honestly awful at motivating myself. and at the moment my grades for my classes are:
414: 50%

415: the math is weird, but id estimate in the 80-90% range

302: 64.5%

303: 78.6%

298: ????? (unlisted) estimated: 70something% (the average on our only midterm so far was a 70%)

i mean, mathmatically, it is possible for me to pass the 50% class, even, but its sure as hell not stopping me from having mini panic attacks every time i have to think about it.

moreover, my parents want me to bring home my grades so they can see them. the way i was brought up, im more or less classically conditioned that its 80-90% or gtfo. this should give at least some insight into what would happen if/when i bring these percentages home this weekend. im already feeling pressured/guilty from them being worried/upset that i might have to retake one class.

Posted

Homework is for sucker's

Posted

Homework is for sucker's

This guy knows whats up.

Posted

ive been basically going through the textbooks and taking extensive notes on the things weve covered so far. i might scan some of the more amusing pages tomorrow, since ive taken an "ill write my notes however the hell i want" approach.

highlights include:

(note: this is for active filters, aka opamps. i can figure out a nonactive filter with no issues.)
"high pass filter--capacitor becomes a short at high freq, t=RiCi

low pass filter--capacitor becomes an open circuit at high freq t=RfCf

bandpass filter--its the bastard child of high and low pass, for puppys sake."

Posted

:|